Week 4: Packers Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

26CornerBlitz

Buffalo opened as a 10.5-point underdog earlier in the week, but Las Vegas has shifted the line slightly to its current 9.5-point line, according to Odds Shark. Betting patterns have moved the line in Buffalo’s favor, as some may think the Bills can repeat their performance from Week 3, a monumental upset of the Minnesota Vikings. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is nursing a knee injury, which has limited his mobility and slightly limited his productivity. Thus, the Packers offense may not have the explosive plays that we are accustomed to seeing from Rodgers and company.

The consensus over/under line is set at 44.5 total points. The Packers offense is averaging 23.3 points per game, while their defense is allowing an average of 27.7 points per contest. Buffalo, for their part, are only averaging 16.7 points on offense while allowing an average of 28 points per game.

From Andy Benoit, via MMQB.com:

BILLS AT PACKERS

This is a tough road mission for Bills rookie quarterback Josh Allen. His receivers don’t match up well to Green Bay’s zealous man coverage, and many of those man coverages have hybrid elements that put zone defenders inside. When Allen’s reads are perfectly clear, he displays his awesome arm talent and even a little of the nuanced body language to manipulate zone defenders. But when the reads aren’t clear, Allen looks like a deer in headlights. With Green Bay’s scheme, a QB’s reads are often unclear.

I have to agree with Mr Benoit here. I think this is going to be a "crashing back down to earth" week for Allen. He will struggle against Pettine's highly varied and cleverly disguised defense. I expect the Bills to lose this one, drop to 1-3, then win the next to games against TEN and HOU to reach 3-3.

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

From Andy Benoit, via MMQB.com:

BILLS AT PACKERS

This is a tough road mission for Bills rookie quarterback Josh Allen. His receivers don’t match up well to Green Bay’s zealous man coverage, and many of those man coverages have hybrid elements that put zone defenders inside. When Allen’s reads are perfectly clear, he displays his awesome arm talent and even a little of the nuanced body language to manipulate zone defenders. But when the reads aren’t clear, Allen looks like a deer in headlights. With Green Bay’s scheme, a QB’s reads are often unclear.

I have to agree with Mr Benoit here. I think this is going to be a "crashing back down to earth" week for Allen. He will struggle against Pettine's highly varied and cleverly disguised defense. I expect the Bills to lose this one, drop to 1-3, then win the next to games against TEN and HOU to reach 3-3.

Pettine's defense is very much susceptible to the run and the Bills will try to expoit them in that regard with success I predict. 

I would like to see a healthy does of both McCoy and Ivory. Sprinkle in some Murphy too, just get everyone involved and run right at them. Take the pressure off Josh to constantly make plays against the blitz. He will still need to hit a few passes downfield to keep the defense honest though.

Who matters most in Week 4: Baker Mayfield boosting Browns

Jerry Hughes and Tre'Davious White: Buffalo's defense is littered with dudes. Guys who march from week to week without much fanfare and completely unattached to national ad campaigns or adulatory spotlights. No matter. This soup of Western New York-based bros made it happen last week against the Vikings, turning a fawned-over Kirk Cousins-led offense into a dazed, thousand-yard-stare operation with no sign of a pulse. Hughes led the way with one sack, two quarterback hits and -- not kidding here -- 10 hurries. Wild stuff. White was splendid in coverage, helping to keep Minnesota's star-studded crop of receivers at bay while forcing Cousins into a pivotal second-half pick. Seen as a roving corpse this time last week, the Bills have a chance -- if they can nip the Packers -- to confirm one item many have suspected all along: Football experts know literally nothing at all.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One inch of rain expected.  Not sure if that’s an advantage for us or not.

It certainly wasn’t @ BAL. Sloppy conditions can lead to turnovers, and the Bills need to play turnover free football more than the Packers do. 

4 hours ago, Logic said:

The real contest here isn't Allen vs Pettine, it's Daboll vs. Pettine.  Pettine's D has weaknesses against the run, where the Pack are currently #26.

The Bills currently aren't strong rushing, but that number may be skewed by the horrid Ravens game and the huge early lead we spotted the Chargers, pushing us to pass.

Last week's game was better with 128 yds, and a still greater number of yards contributed by short, quick passes to the RBs (well, and then Ivory...)

Will Daboll scheme effectively to run on Pettine and craft a passing game Allen can manage against disguised coverage?

Or will this be "Ravens Part II"?

Tune in Sunday

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pettine's defense is very much susceptible to the run and the Bills will try to expoit them in that regard with success I predict. 

His defense is also missing key pieces in the secondary. Mike is an awesome d Coordinator, but he is missing key personnel to effectively run his system

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The real contest here isn't Allen vs Pettine, it's Daboll vs. Pettine.  Pettine's D has weaknesses against the run, where the Pack are currently #26.

The Bills currently aren't strong rushing, but that number may be skewed by the horrid Ravens game and the huge early lead we spotted the Chargers, pushing us to pass.

Last week's game was better with 128 yds, and a still greater number of yards contributed by short, quick passes to the RBs (well, and then Ivory...)

Will Daboll scheme effectively to run on Pettine and craft a passing game Allen can manage against disguised coverage?

Or will this be "Ravens Part II"?

Tune in Sunday

With all due respect to your well-reasoned response, I disagree. It IS important that Daboll comes up with a good gameplan and gets Allen as prepared as possible. At the end of the day, though, It's on Allen to recognize what he's seeing in real time, adjust his protections and hot routes if needed, and then adjust again on the fly while the play is happening. No matter how well prepared Daboll has him, I expect Pettine to draw up some looks that absolutely confound Allen. In these instances, it's okay for him to take sacks or throw the ball away and live to fight another down. The only thing Allen absolutely, positively CANNOT do on Sunday if he wants to give the Bills a chance to win, is throw careless picks of the sort he threw against San Diego.

In my opinion, this game will tell us a lot about the progress of Josh Allen.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

With all due respect to your well-reasoned response, I disagree. It IS important that Daboll comes up with a good gameplan and gets Allen as prepared as possible. At the end of the day, though, It's on Allen to recognize what he's seeing in real time, adjust his protections and hot routes if needed, and then adjust again on the fly while the play is happening. No matter how well prepared Daboll has him, I expect Pettine to draw up some looks that absolutely confound Allen. In these instances, it's okay for him to take sacks or throw the ball away and live to fight another down. The only thing Allen absolutely, positively CANNOT do on Sunday if he wants to give the Bills a chance to win, is throw careless picks of the sort he threw against San Diego.

In my opinion, this game will tell us a lot about the progress of Josh Allen.

While I agree with you on your bolded point............I got a feeling that we will see a lot of those situations this year with Allen.

He seems like the kind of guy who is going to push the limits on his play.  I just hope in the long run he learns what he can and can't do

in the NFL.