Week 4: Packers Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

26CornerBlitz

Bills Film Room: Concepts that have given the Packers'...

Bills Film Room: Concepts that have given the Packers’ defense issues

By Erik Turner  - The Athletic

The 1-2 Buffalo Bills are back on the road this week, this time headed to Lambeau Field to take on the Green Bay Packers. If the Bills want to get to .500, the offense is going to need another efficient game plan — a plan to control the line of scrimmage, control the clock and keep all-world quarterback Aaron Rogers off the field.

After diving into Packers defensive film over the past few weeks, I’ve uncovered a few concepts that have given their defense fits.

tavsilzyvlz78r5rvnfx.png

Buffalo Bills (+10) at Green Bay Packers

Consider this my official admission that I was wrong last week, although the scoreboard already did plenty to show it for me. I hope I’m not overreacting thanks to my own incorrect pick last week (Green Bay -3 at Washington), but I was surprised to see the Packers favored by 10 against the Bills.

We all saw the Bills stun the Vikings last week, closing as 16.5-point underdogs and winning outright 27-6. I won’t quite guarantee another win that would pull the NFL’s consensus worst team after Week 2 back up to .500 after Week 4. But I don’t see how these Packers can be favored by 10 against anybody. Last week, I assumed that if Aaron Rodgers was on the field he’d be good enough to do his usual thing. But there were parts of the Redskins game where he clearly didn’t look 100%.

Last week was a great reminder that nobody knows anything about the NFL (thanks for reading, anyway). It’s possible that we come to the end of the season and look back on the Bills’ Week 3 win as the biggest fluke of the year, and it’s possible we look at it as a natural regression back to the mean for a team that was more likely to go 6-10 than 2-14. But the Bills defense reminded us how the team reached the playoffs last season, Josh Allen was out there hurdling people and has another week under his belt, and 10 points is an awful lot.

I’ll need to wait and see a much better version of Aaron Rodgers before I take the Packers by more than a touchdown—especially in a league where the Any Given Sunday mantra often proves itself true. — Mitch Goldich

Joe B: 5 things to watch for in Buffalo Bills vs. Green Bay Packers (9/30/18)

jacirbdd_1538256841182_99002452_ver1.0_6

(WKBW) - Following a somewhat surprising result last weekend in Minnesota against the heavily favored Vikings, the Buffalo Bills hit the road once again for their third away tilt in the first four weeks of the season. This time, the Bills are up against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.

The last time the Bills played in Green Bay — all the way back in 2010 — a rather significant moment happened in their recent history. It was the final start made by former starting quarterback Trent Edwards, and a blowout loss was the precursor to Buffalo starting Ryan Fitzpatrick for the first time and eventually riding the Fitz wave through the 2012 season, while Edwards was released from the roster altogether just a couple of weeks later.

This time around, there won’t be any quarterback controversies as rookie Josh Allen will get his third straight start while hoping to help propel the Bills to a second straight victory. How do they stack up against the Packers?

Five things to watch for as the Bills take on the Packers:

1) Can Daboll continue to manufacture a passing game?
2) Keeping an eye on the wide receiver depth chart
3) Full McCoy or more Ivory?
4) Who gets the start at cornerback?
5) Another plus matchup for the pass rush

Injury Report

Buffalo
QUESTIONABLE: TE Charles Clay (shoulder, hip), TE Jason Croom (knee), RB LeSean McCoy (rib), RB Marcus Murphy (rib)

Green Bay
OUT: DE Muhammad Wilkerson (ankle)
DOUBTFUL: G Justin McCray (shoulder)
QUESTIONABLE: WR Randall Cobb (hamstring), S Josh Jones (ankle), CB Kevin King (groin), LB Nick Perry (concussion), QB Aaron Rodgers (knee)

Bills Inactives Projection: RB Marcus Murphy, TE Logan Thomas, OT Jeremiah Sirles, G Ike Boettger, G Wyatt Teller, DE Nate Orchard, S Siran Neal

Prediction: Packers over Bills

Week 3 NFL Offensive Line Rankings | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

If you’ve been following along our offensive line rankings so far, you know we’ve been taking samples into last season to try and project which would be the best offensive lines in the upcoming weeks. This week we are doing it a little differently and purely looking at which offensive lines have been this best this season based on our grading. Obviously, with only a three-game sample size, this can still be heavily influenced by the defensive fronts they’ve faced, so keep that in mind.

BUF-Bills-Header.png

Starting Lineup:

Left Tackle: Dion Dawkins, 61.1
Left Guard: Vladimir Ducasse, 55.6
Center: Russell Bodine, 54.1
Right Guard: John Miller, 64.8
Right Tackle: Jordan Mills, 62.3

I’m not sure it would matter if LeSean McCoy had been fully healthy this season, as the Bills have earned the second-lowest run-block grade so far this season. Leading rusher Chris Ivory has picked up 66 of his 66 rushing yards this season after contact. That’s tough sledding.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 4: Packers Game Preparation - McCoy Will Play, Clay, Croom, & Marcus Murphy Questionable for Sunday; Graham & Bulaga Will Play
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 4: Packers Game Preparation - McCoy Will Play; Clay, Croom, & Marcus Murphy Questionable for Sunday; Graham & Bulaga Will Play
15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I see Shady having very little impact for us this season with his distraction and our weak run blocking. Might as well let JA throw and start his NFL education. How did Murphy and Croom get injured?

Green Bay is 27th against the run. McCoy and Ivory will both have success with Wilkerson out and Perry likely missing.

The Green Bay Packers host the Buffalo Bills Sunday.

Green Bay (1-1-1) lost at Washington, 31-17, last week. Buffalo (1-2) won at Minnesota, 27-6.

The Packers are a 9.5-point favorite. Here are five things to watch.

1. Putting it on the line
The Packers have allowed 12 sacks in their first three games, tied for the sixth-highest mark in football. Green Bay’s offensive line is beat up and Buffalo ranks 10th in sacks (8.0). That’s not a good combination.

2. Turning him loose?

Aaron Jones is by far Green Bay’s most explosive running back. But will McCarthy give him more than the six carries he received last week?

3. Rattling the rookie
Bills quarterback Josh Allen, the seventh overall pick in April’s draft, had his best game as a pro last week, finishing with a 111.2 passer rating. 

4. Limited weapons
The Packers have had just four receivers active on game days, and of those, Marquez Valdes-Scantling has played almost exclusively special teams. That could change this week, as wideout Randall Cobb is questionable with a hamstring injury.

5. Faster starts
Green Bay fell behind Chicago, 20-0 in Week 1 before rallying for an improbable 24-23 win. The Packers then dug themselves a 21-3 hole at Washington last week that it couldn’t climb out of.

PREDICTION: PACKERS 24, BILLS 17
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2. This time last week, the Bills were the laughingstock of the NFL. They were 0-2. They had been outscored in a Rutgers-facing-MAC-teams fashion over the season’s first two weeks. A starting cornerback retired at halftime.

Well, who’s laughing now? Anyone who’s seen that delightful John Mulaney in a Netflix special, for one. But, more appropriately for this column, the Buffalo Bills’ players, coaches and front-office staffers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Bills at Packers: Sal's Keys, Notes and Stats

What a turnaround from where things seemed to be headed just one week ago.  Not that the Bills are suddenly a Super Bowl contender, but the vibe and outlook of the season at least feels different after their improbable victory at the Minnesota Vikings last week.  Can they do it again and shock an NFC North team in their own stadium?  Here are three storylines, plus notes and stats, leading up the the game in Green Bay against the Packers:

1. The return of Shady?!

2. Allen’s progression

3. Gary’s revenge