Watkins, Woods, 6-100, 6-81. Benjamin, Jones, 2-19, 2-63

Foreigner

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Josh used 11 different receivers and was the first rookie QB with the most passing yards since Jim Kelly.  

Mic drop

I don't think 240 passing yards in a game where you were behind 28-6 at the half really epitomizes a mic drop moment.  Edwards and Losman both won their first starts for what it's worth.  Hell Manuel even had a lead going into the 4th on the Pats in his first start.  Passing yards might be the most meaningless stat out there.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't recall it happening like that either, (but i could be mistaken).  didn't they let sammy walk just to sign another wr to a similar deal that sammy got anyway?    they essentially just rented him for a year for a second round pick.

agreed

but hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong   if there is a link to prove it.  Sammy under performed there and Woods out played him. 

one moved on and one got the big bucks.  the prior had to get big bucks from KC with a buyer beware sticker.

6 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I don't think 240 passing yards in a game where you were behind 28-6 at the half really epitomizes a mic drop moment.  Edwards and Losman both won their first starts for what it's worth.  Hell Manuel even had a lead going into the 4th on the Pats in his first start.  Passing yards might be the most meaningless stat out there.

if you pass to 11 different guys one guy isn't going to get 8 for 100 all the time 

even distribution will equal lower #'s  Occam's razor ..   

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Link?    Was that contract for sub par WR $? 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-sammy-watkins-20180313-story.html%3foutputType=amp

they also immediately traded a 1st for Cooks after Sammy left.  Weird that good offensive coaches like McVay and Reid value Sammy but Bills’ fans don’t.  But Bills probably are correct.

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

agreed

but hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong   if there is a link to prove it.  Sammy under performed there and Woods out played him. 

one moved on and one got the big bucks.  the prior had to get big bucks from KC with a buyer beware sticker.

if you pass to 11 different guys one guy isn't going to get 8 for 100 all the time 

even distribution will equal lower #'s  Occam's razor ..   

The Rams knew how stupid it would be to have Woods and Kupp be their top wrs without any speed.

good teams have a deep threat and don’t hope Jordan Freakin’ Matthews can do the job.  

46 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-sammy-watkins-20180313-story.html%3foutputType=amp

they also immediately traded a 1st for Cooks after Sammy left.  Weird that good offensive coaches like McVay and Reid value Sammy but Bills’ fans don’t.  But Bills probably are correct.

Are you really reading my posts as they were intended or how you want to interpret them?

Sammy was good

Sammy got injured 

Injuries and Tyrod ruined Sammy’s career in a Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Agreed.  Good on JA but that game saw much of those yards come on one huge pass to zay jones.  Zay gets hit while bobbling it then things look a lot different.

Anyone remember chuck knobloch MLB gold glove 2nd baseman?  Ended great career as a yankee in a very odd way - could not throw from second to first for mental hitch reasons.  It was bizarre and lasted far too long with therapists and such.  On zay's bobble there it occurred to me that the kid seems to have a hitch - maybe a bad thought of "what if I drop this".  Not starting rumors but something I'm watching for.  Want him to be good but that bobble was weird and yet also almost seemed expected.

Edited by sleeby

Apparently a lot of people are missing the point of the post.

It is not about salary caps or week 1 or 2 production. It is about the fact that Watkins, Woods and Goodwin

are gone and replaced by Benjamin, Zay and whoever. If anyone wants to argue that what we have now for

WRs is better than what we had, you can argue that forever. It was the GM and HC (they are tied at the hip)

to replace what talent that left, with better talent, not worse talent, and they did not do that. End of story unless 

you actually believe they want to lose on purpose, to empty New Era, to set up Allen to fail, and to make the Bills 

the laughing stock of the NFL, and scare free agents away, and if you believe that, then there is no hope for you.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Was wondering when elite top 5 myth would resurface.

The legendary Sammy Watkins racked up his 12th hundred yard game in 5 years....

Which takes the actual elite guys like a season and a half...

Notice the when healthy part.  He put up the same numbers as AB and Julio in a 9 week stretch with TT as his QB.  If stays healthy, come tell me at the end of the season or send me some one that actually knows about football at the end of the season.  He was the consensus top WR in that draft for a reason.  His only issue is the worst one to have. Being able to play a whole season.

1 hour ago, Foreigner said:

Apparently a lot of people are missing the point of the post.

It is not about salary caps or week 1 or 2 production. It is about the fact that Watkins, Woods and Goodwin

are gone and replaced by Benjamin, Zay and whoever. If anyone wants to argue that what we have now for

WRs is better than what we had, you can argue that forever. It was the GM and HC (they are tied at the hip)

to replace what talent that left, with better talent, not worse talent, and they did not do that. End of story unless 

you actually believe they want to lose on purpose, to empty New Era, to set up Allen to fail, and to make the Bills 

the laughing stock of the NFL, and scare free agents away, and if you believe that, then there is no hope for you.

You cherry picked one weekend of games, got caught looking ridiculous, and now are trying to backtrack.  Next time don't post something that can so easily be torn apart.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I'd agree with you if all we're looking at is a one game sample size. But how about TT and you can almost never get past 165 in a pass-happy league? Passing yards matter over time as they usually show consistency of success at the position, or lack of it.  

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I'd agree with you if all we're looking at is a one game sample size. But how about TT and you can almost never get past 165 in a pass-happy league? Passing yards matter over time as they usually show consistency of success at the position, or lack of it.  

I purposely didn't mention Taylor.  Sample size?  In three seasons with THIS  team he carried a winning record.  Give him a decent defense and we would have gone to the playoffs three straight years.  The argument made over and over again for passing yards was that it would make any game winnable and a bad defense less of a big deal.  While I'm all for more passing yards and I like Allen it was crap when they were saying it two seasons ago and it's crap now.  If your offense can move the ball and score points it doesn't matter how and having a good defense is always the best way to start winning games.  If Allen had the exact same stats as Taylor but could throw that one clutch pass a game or 2 or 3 more TD's a year in those tight games he'd be a success and it would have nothing to do with getting a ton of yards.

15 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Not here to bash any decisions made thus far as I'm trying to reserve everything until after next FA and draft like I think most should here.

I have never thought about what you said and it's really pretty interesting seeing it this way. 

I started questioning the decisions when they were touting their flat organization. We were always doomed to fail when the coach, GM, and president independently reported to the owner. I do actually hope McD turns it around, but as of right now to me, it looks like the mirage that was Malarkey's first season. 

The numbers in the title of this thread dont have much meaning.   But I do find it interesting that a few years back the Bills had Watkins(always hurt), Woods(just a blocker), Hogan (a lacrosse player who would only make the Bills roster) and Goodwin (made of glass).   The fanbase wanted a couple Julio Jones'.   The reality was the team had talent at WR but no QB to get the ball to them....it starts with the QB, a QB can make a WR, WR's cannot make a qb.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m sure Sammy going to the Rams and making one of the worst offenses into one of the best is just a coincidence.  Just like him going to KC and making them the nfl’s best offense is just another coincidence.  I’m sure the best passing Tyrod ever had are with Sammy on the field is just another coincidence.

i know this blows peoples’ minds but a receiver can make an impact without having 100 yards a game.  It’s why it is so laughable that people thought a scrub like Matthews could replace Sammy.  Without a deep threat in your passing game, everything else suffers.  Gurley was terrible the year before Sammy.  Well, with a guy who keeps defenses honest, there aren’t 8 guys in the box like the Bills face this year.

but clearly, with Benjamin and Zay, the Bills upgrade.  So happy we got rid of Sammy.  We are so much better off.  I fully trust this regime in making the right moves offensive.  They have shown a great eye for talent on that side of the ball.

Yeah, I don’t get what was so exciting about that.  Our offense is a joke and we are setting up a young qb to fail.  So awesome???

Also 8 tds.  But we don’t like touchdowns in Buffalo.

watkins was gone after his rookie deal anyway.  so they got something for him while they could.  FAs leave the Bills , not the other way around.  going to be a process turning this around.   good drafts, build build build.  play Allen.  it will come.  50m dead cap hit this year is a big deal no one talking about.  thats a half dozen quality FAs that they cannot even go after bc they cannot pay them and stay inside the cap

13 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Here's the real question.  Would you pay sammy 14M?  No?  Then who cares that's what hes making.   Woods at 6M is a steal.  

But Andy Reid would. And McVay would trade a 2nd and starting cb for him.   I trust his opinion more than yours. No disrespect 

• Like (+1) 1