The negativity from the fanbase is not a knee jerk reaction to week 1

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Were they hired before Daboll?

The question is were they available when Dennison was fired or before he was hired last year?

McCoy - yes - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000910830/article/cardinals-hire-mike-mccoy-as-offensive-coordinator

Haley - yes - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909559/article/browns-hire-todd-haley-as-offensive-coordinator

Norv Turner was hired about the same time Dennison was let go, but the Bills certainly didn't fancy Dennison as their first choice and I would imagine that they had a good idea that they were going to look for another OC in the Offseason.  Turner was available all year for contact and was also available when Dennison was hired.  https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/10/panthers-offensive-coordinator-norv-turner

Maybe they had no interest in Buffalo - that is entirely possible, but more proven options were available.

Edited by Ayjent

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think Norv might have been a good choice

Me too.  He's the type of guy that has always been a good OC, but terrible HC.  But definitely a guy you can feel comfortable handing the keys to as an OC - problem is that he may have wanted to turn over much of the staff or not be stuck with guys McDermott absolutely wanted around like Castillo, who was hand picked by McD and hired before an OC.

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

All the people complaining about the negativity on this board. If just one of them had a single reason not to be negative about the coach and GM I'm willing to listen. So far all I've seen is MORE people attempting to make fun of me for complaining, which is the origin of the post.

Chemical - I've provided reasons as to why this year is what it is as well as reasons why be happy and look forward.  Why the process is still on track.  Several posts to you here.  So I call BS - you really just want to whine is all.

I quoted chemical from a raoulduke post. I'm replying to chemical though.  So no offense to you rauol.  Newbie error. 

Edited by sleeby

28 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Chemical - I've provided reasons as to why this year is what it is as well as reasons why be happy and look forward.  Why the process is still on track.  Several posts to you here.  So I call BS - you really just want to whine is all.

Me too. I didn’t attack his post but responded regarding the process. He just wants to complain, not discuss. 

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What is “intelligent conversation” regarding the Bills? 

Is it should Chris Ivory see more touches? When does Kahari Lee see the field? Is Siram Neal a diamond in the rough?

Maybe it’s Ray Ray McCloud is ready to contribute now, or Wyatt Teller is progressing, Eddie Yarborough is in the rotation. 

Is that what intelligent conversation is to the enlightened posters here? 

Somewhere in the words in bold above lies the greatest oxymoron ever.

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What is “intelligent conversation” regarding the Bills? 

Is it should Chris Ivory see more touches? When does Kahari Lee see the field? Is Siram Neal a diamond in the rough?

Maybe it’s Ray Ray McCloud is ready to contribute now, or Wyatt Teller is progressing, Eddie Yarborough is in the rotation. 

Is that what intelligent conversation is to the enlightened posters here? 

Thanks for proving my point.

11 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You know, this is a common cop out I am starting to see more and more often. Heck even McDermott said it this week. This is the team we “inherited” and now we’re trying to build it the “right way”. 

Well McDermott and Beane, it’s on you too. You didn’t have to trade 23 year old Ronald Darby for a 3rd, he could have been your corner opposite White for 2 more years. You didn’t have to bench Taylor and put in a 5th Round rookie. 

McDermott you didn’t have to trade up for Zay Jones, who has been a complete bust, and you didn’t have to trade up for Dion Dawkins, giving away two more draft picks. 

You gutted prominent players on the offensive line in Glenn and on the defensive line in Dareus. 

Whaley handed you Poyer and Hyde. 

Whaley also handed you Clay and McCoy and Hughes and Alexander. All guys that you couldn’t find anyone better than. 

Did Beane read the situation right by trading #12, #53, #56 to move up 5 spots for Allen? A team was really going to move up ahead of the Bills? Let alone was Allen the right choice? 

Did we have to trade #65 for Edmunds? Was why Preston Brown allowed to walk? 

Deonte Thompson was let go, Jordan Matthews wasn’t resigned, Dez Bryant is still out there, did the Bills really do everything they could to improve WR?

Did Mike Tolbert have to be the one and only backup RB last year while we leaned on 29 year old McCoy? 

Why did this FO think Chris Ivory was worth signing? 

Do McDermott and Beane watch these games, 40+ points being scored, Quarterbacks throwing for 400 yards and think we are going to build an offense like that? Or are they Dick Jauron/Doug Marrone disciples who believe in hard work, punting and snowy Buffalo rock pounding? 

I think it’s too early to judge Beane and McDermott fully, but neither one gives me a great feeling that they know what they are doing. Neither one gives me a feeling that we are going to have a watchable offense on Sundays. They give me the feeling that we are stuck in the same conservative mindset. The same type of Coaching we always get. They give me the feeling that their minds are stuck in Carolina, stuck on winning 17-14 games with Kaolin Clay on Special Teams, stuck on punting to play field position and kicking FGs on 4th-1. 

The Bills are out there trying to run McCoy out of Shotgun, and throwing 5 yard outs on 3rd-8 to avoid turnovers and keep the down and distance manageable. Trying to beat teams like the Saints and Rams by pinning them in their own end..... 

Its not not too early to judge. Playoffs in 2017 bought them through 2019, but next offseason better be good. You don’t get 5 year rebuilds. And stop blowing picks by trading up all the time, there are holes everywhere on this roster. Might have to bypass the choir boy to get a guy who can run a 4.30. 

I am one who backs McDermott and Beane because I believe you have to give them time.  We cannot keep changing coaches and front office and losing players under every new regime.

I look at the players gone and some of them I did not like (namely Dareus and Watkins).  I wish Glenn could have worked out and Darby too.  I am most concerned about trading so many draft picks to move up.  Moving up for Zay and Dawkins and Allen and Edmunds.  That is 6 draft picks given up to get 4 players and making matters worse Zay Jones already looks like he is not going to make it.   To make these moves worthwhile Allen and Edmunds have to become star players and Dawkins has to become a solid LT with Pro Bowls. 

I would like to see the draft trade up behavior stop.   

16 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I am one who backs McDermott and Beane because I believe you have to give them time.  We cannot keep changing coaches and front office and losing players under every new regime.

I look at the players gone and some of them I did not like (namely Dareus and Watkins).  I wish Glenn could have worked out and Darby too.  I am most concerned about trading so many draft picks to move up.  Moving up for Zay and Dawkins and Allen and Edmunds.  That is 6 draft picks given up to get 4 players and making matters worse Zay Jones already looks like he is not going to make it.   To make these moves worthwhile Allen and Edmunds have to become star players and Dawkins has to become a solid LT with Pro Bowls. 

can't turn back now, i've seen WAY WORSE from the Bills over 4 decades

i accept they have a clue and are trying to build from Ground Zero, literally

should have tanked it last year

17 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Thanks for the detailed response. 

I agree the analysis. Zay Jones is trending towards a bust at #37. Dion Dawkins is okay? Even though I don't think he'd rate highly on Pro Football Focus. Edmunds and Allen are far too young to judge. 

The roster is really thin. 

Somewhat due to what they inherited, but also due to the trades and decisions this FO has made.

2nd oldest roster in the league now according to other posts on this message board. 

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

This reply is disingenous, and it hardly proves that McDermott isn't ultra-conservative.

The Bills had many other options for a veteran QB than simply keeping Taylor or trading Taylor and going with Peterman.   McDermott and Beane chose to go with Peterman rather than with Taylor, McCarron or another veteran QB.  

The same with the OC options.   The choice wasn't just keep Dennison or go with Daboll.  There were numerous OC candidates with much better credentials -- ie, real success as NFL OCs -- than Daboll.

The way I look at it Buffalo has been searching for a franchise QB for almost 2 decades. McD/ Beane accomplished 2 things in under 2 years that no other HC/GM has been able to do which is reach the playoffs and find a franchise QB. Both through a big player turnover involving multiple trades.

Does that sound Ultra conservative to you? 

25 minutes ago, Figster said:

The way I look at it Buffalo has been searching for a franchise QB for almost 2 decades. McD/ Beane accomplished 2 things in under 2 years that no other HC/GM has been able to do which is reach the playoffs and find a franchise QB. Both through a big player turnover involving multiple trades.

Does that sound Ultra conservative to you? 

Bills have settled for decent QBs well past their prime, Flutie, Bledsoe, Orton at best