For the 2018 Bills, Mack = Mario

george c

I applaud McBeane for not doing a Russ Brandon here. 

Yeah, Mack is probably the best defensive player on the market, if not in the NFL. And no Mario couldn’t hold Mack’s jock.

As the 2018 Bills sit, the objective is to get better as a whole, and not buy a super expensive part that would put people in the seats and raise expectations, but won’t make a difference in the process. The timing is all wrong, and the rest of the team simply doesn’t have enough talent to win the division, let alone a championship. If we did amass some offensive talent to go with Mack, it will be towards the end of his deal. If we didn’t suffer through the Whaley/Nix years and their cap baggage, we may have had more necessary parts that may made the Mack signing something that would have made more sense now.

Right now, it just doesn’t, and it should make all of us feel confident in where we are going. I am sure they made an offer that made sense towards the process, but nowhere near as irresponsible as what used to go on at OBD, and nowhere near as money/draft killing capital as the Bears.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, fridge said:

Remember when Mario Williams, the absolute bum who everyone thinks was terrible, recorded 13 sacks one season and followed it up with 14.5 sacks the next?

Didn't we have a top 5 defense with Mario and also lead the league in sacks with pretty much the exact same line we have now minus Mario? 

BAD MOVE MAN, BAD MOVE!

Mack didn't make sense because he had to be traded for but if he was a free agent and we gave the same exact contract, in no way, shape, or form would it have been a bad move. Would you rather have Glass Legs Murphy and Dull Star Lotulelei or Khalil Mack for 6 million more a year? 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, George C said:

Yeah, Mack is probably the best defensive player on the market, if not in the NFL. And no Mario couldn’t hold Mack’s jock.

As the 2018 Bills sit, the objective is to get better as a whole, and not buy a super expensive part that would put people in the seats and raise expectations, but won’t make a difference in the process. The timing is all wrong, and the rest of the team simply doesn’t have enough talent to win the division, let alone a championship. If we did amass some offensive talent to go with Mack, it will be towards the end of his deal. If we didn’t suffer through the Whaley/Nix years and their cap baggage, we may have had more necessary parts that may made the Mack signing something that would have made more sense now.

Right now, it just doesn’t, and it should make all of us feel confident in where we are going. I am sure they made an offer that made sense towards the process, but nowhere near as irresponsible as what used to go on at OBD, and nowhere near as money/draft killing capital as the Bears.

So the plan is not to add talent when we need talent?

I wouldn't have given 2 first rounders for Mack....or Mario.  If Mack was a FA like Mario was....absolutely go for him.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, fridge said:

Remember when Mario Williams, the absolute bum who everyone thinks was terrible, recorded 13 sacks one season and followed it up with 14.5 sacks the next?

Followed by a 10 or 11 sack season, I believe . All while being dominant in the run game as well. He was a top DE in the league his first 3 years here. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, George C said:

I could not agree more.  Raiders D sucked with him, they'll still suck without him.  This front office is too smart, thankfully; to over pay a player that wont change much of anything at all.  We are still building.  Mutiple pillars needed, not just one.  Like you said....Mario...we learned that lesson in school of hard knocks fashion.  Good post.

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So it wasn't a fall-off in his production due to age?

Fascinating, tell me more.

Mario was a splashy signing, meant to put asses in seats. But was his signing enough to take us to the promised land?

He was a cornerstone for one of the best defenses in the league in 2014 , which got us 9 wins, at the time was the most wins in a decade , unfortunately we had a bad O with Orton. 

I agree his production and age caught up with him but he definitely could have taken us to the promised Land with a competent offense. His side of the ball , they handled bussiness

# 1 in Sacks

# 4 ovr D

Yes, he was a cornerstone on a Championship level defense

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

While I can understand why so many Bills fans wanted Mack the price was simply too high for a few reasons, two first round picks and obviously the money.  Which were both cost prohibitive in my view.

Then he is undersized compared to Mario who is 6'6'' 300lbs. They used to say Bruce Smith was somewhat undersized at 6'4'' 262 lbs for a DE. Mack is 6'3'' 252lbs which is linebacker size. 

This new regime has an all new scouting dept and next years draft is said to be loaded with pass rushers. So I would think if these new men are worth their salt they should find a defensive player who can get 10+ sacks a season. NFN but there were 15 players who had more sacks than Mack last year. If you are building from the ground up and just dumped 50 mill of dead cap space. Then why spend that much for one player that is not a franchise QB.

Mario did cost 100 million dollars and for two seasons under Pettine/Schwartz the Buffalo Bills (Mario) did lead the NFL in sacks with the #4 defense overall under Schwartz. But because the Bills didn't have their franchise QB to lead the offense all that defense went for naught. Mario was cheaper because no first rounders needed and it still didn't work out.

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

He was a cornerstone for one of the best defenses in the league in 2014 , which got us 9 wins, at the time was the most wins in a decade , unfortunately we had a bad O with Orton. 

I agree his production and age caught up with him but he definitely could have taken us to the promised Land with a competent offense. His side of the ball , they handled bussiness

His contract was TERRIBLE for this team. He earned it for two and a half seasons. After that, mr. refrigerator wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Just now, joesixpack said:

His contract was TERRIBLE for this team. He earned it for two and a half seasons. After that, mr. refrigerator wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

I agree . I'll be generous and say 3 seasons but after that he was horrible..

We don't even have enough cap space to pay Mack's 2018 salary not even considering the extension.   We may have guys coming in for workouts but I would guess we don't sign anyone with only 9  mil in space for this season.   Figuring in injuries and replacement players that is about the minimum you would go into a season with.

Stop shopping at the top and hit the bargain bin for 2018.   

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Rex Ryan

Rex put Mario in his archaic 3-4 scheme which needed DE linemen to handle the O tackles straight up so the linebackers could make the plays. (instead of mostly rushing the passer) Which if you look back at the talent on the team at that time the Bills had some of the best defensive line players in the game and some of the crappiest LBers. 

The very last thing Mario wanted to do was take on a 330LB offensive tackle or drop back into pass coverage. Same with Dareus, Kyle as they wanted to rush the passer and not take on blockers so the scrubs behind them could try to make a play.

Kinda why Rex ruined a top 4 defense and turned it Into a 20 something bad defense

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Tazor Face said:

Rex ryan

I'll respond as i did to jerseybills:

So it wasn't a fall-off in his production due to age?

Fascinating, tell me more.

Mario was a splashy signing, meant to put asses in seats. But was his signing enough to take us to the promised land?