For the 2018 Bills, Mack = Mario

george c

4 minutes ago, George C said:

Bingo!

Right on the button. 

But...I remember Mario a lot different than you. I remember an underachiever who took plays off.. I remember a guy manhandled signally by a rookie Jets guard. I remember a guy with only a handful of good games. I remember a Texans team more than sick of his work ethic. I remember a J.J. Watt scoffing at the loss of Williams. I remember countless posts and columns on what a bust of a signing he was. I don’t ever remember hearing a single negative post or column about Mack..

teams had to game plan for Mario which opened up a lot of others on those D's. Lots of value right there.. I do agree Mario was great but he could of been 1st ballot Hall of Fame great 

Just now, ddaryl said:

teams had to game plan for Mario which opened up a lot of others on those D's. Lots of value right there.. I do agree Mario was great but he could of been 1st ballot Hall of Fame great 

I can agree that his talent was first ballot, but his work ethic may keep him out..

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

And you dont get to prime time without having guys worth eating some cap space over.

disagree.. Without a solid core, no position player outside the QB position is going make that large of a difference to take a basement dweller to the Superbowl.

Bills have a couple more years to grow and have no business trading away draft capital and using up a huge amount of cap space.

This is my opinion 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Spending money unwisely so you can't take advantage of good players coming available is what keeps you in mediocrity. Captain Refrigerator's contract was a big part of the reason why the offense couldn't be improved.

The offence could have been improved, it wasnt because Mario's contract was holding it back. It was poor offensive coaching and not drafting well on the offence. 

59 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

While I can understand why so many Bills fans wanted Mack the price was simply too high for a few reasons, two first round picks and obviously the money.  Which were both cost prohibitive in my view.

Then he is undersized compared to Mario who is 6'6'' 300lbs. They used to say Bruce Smith was somewhat undersized at 6'4'' 262 lbs for a DE. Mack is 6'3'' 252lbs which is linebacker size. 

This new regime has an all new scouting dept and next years draft is said to be loaded with pass rushers. So I would think if these new men are worth their salt they should find a defensive player who can get 10+ sacks a season. NFN but there were 15 players who had more sacks than Mack last year. If you are building from the ground up and just dumped 50 mill of dead cap space. Then why spend that much for one player that is not a franchise QB.

Mario did cost 100 million dollars and for two seasons under Pettine/Schwartz the Buffalo Bills (Mario) did lead the NFL in sacks with the #4 defense overall under Schwartz. But because the Bills didn't have their franchise QB to lead the offense all that defense went for naught. Mario was cheaper because no first rounders needed and it still didn't work out.

And A. Donald was undersized and fell in the draft.  OOps.  

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

So it wasn't a fall-off in his production due to age?

Fascinating, tell me more.

Mario was a splashy signing, meant to put asses in seats. But was his signing enough to take us to the promised land?

Perhaps age was a factor, but wrecks defensive scheme doesn’t mazimize the use of a DE like Mario.

He was a stud for 2 out of 4 years, very good for his first season and marginal to mailing it in for the last. But the scheme was horrific for him. 

Hes was an elite wide 9 edge setting pass rusher. 

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Perhaps age was a factor, but wrecks defensive scheme doesn’t mazimize the use of a DE like Mario.

He was a stud for 2 out of 4 years, very good for his first season and marginal to mailing it in for the last. But the scheme was horrific for him. 

And was his signing the thing that put us into the promised land?

He was a stud for 2 out of 4 years, very good for his first season and marginal to mailing it in for the last. But the scheme was horrific for him. 

_————————————————_

29, Good in his first season? Really? I remembering him as a total failure in his first season.  I remember a “wrist’ injury that let single lineman block him the entire year. I remember him unbelievably underachieving.. 

Edited by George C

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

And was his signing the thing that put us into the promised land?

Promised land? No I didn’t say that. It takes more than one pass rusher. But he Did the job he was brought in to do, until Russ didn’t let u know who leave the building. 

Mack wouldn’t change the bill’s fate this season all that much either, but would certainly be an upgrade over Shaw Lawson or Trent Murphy. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Mack wouldn’t change the bill’s fate this season all that much either, but would certainly be an upgrade over Shaw Lawson or Trent Murphy. 

Then you concur with the point of this thread.

Two ones for a guy who won't change the outcome doesn't make sense.

We have seen this movie a hundred times, just the names change..

Great teams do not break the bank on a single non QB player. . The Bears will suck, Green Bay will handle him, Rodgers will do what great quarterbacks do, and their will be unbearable pressure on Mack as the easy scapegoat. . I certainly wouldn’t want to be in his shoes come November. Well, maybe on check deposit day of course....

Edited by George C

5 hours ago, nucci said:

He plays defense...one of the best in the game....you don't wait til you're good to get great players...you get great players to make your team good....

No, no, no, you've got it entirely backwards. You get good by scrupulously avoiding accumulating great players because that just blows your cap. Go for mediocre players that help keep the cap low. And then, well, then you...you have a really good cap situation which is soooo great. Just wait and see.

There was no three level chess, master plan here. He is a great player and Buffalo wanted him bad enough to be one of the few teams to make a serious offer which means they offered a ton despite the OP's speculation that Beane wouldn't pay a ransom for Mack. Chicago just offered even more. 

6 hours ago, George C said:

We have seen this movie a hundred times, just the names change..

Great teams do not break the bank on a single non QB player. . The Bears will suck, Green Bay will handle him, Rodgers will do what great quarterbacks do, and their will be unbearable pressure on Mack as the easy scapegoat. . I certainly wouldn’t want to be in his shoes come November. Well, maybe on check deposit day of course....

Well, NE traded their first last year for a non-QB. I think they went to the Super Bowl.

7 hours ago, joesixpack said:

This guy gets it.

7 hours ago, ddaryl said:

But you don't eat up 1/4 to 1/3 of your salary cap on 1 great player when you have a team full of holes either

which is why good teams wait and then add that 1 difference maker to put them over the top. 

Bills are not in that position... yet

Except he’s wrong. Assuming the salary cap continues to increase at a steady rate over the course of Mack’s Chicago deal, he will take up around 10.5% of the Bears cap per year. Not 25%, not 33%. Don’t throw around numbers without doing the math. He don’t “get it”

5 minutes ago, StrikeParry said:

Except he’s wrong. Assuming the salary cap continues to increase at a steady rate over the course of Mack’s Chicago deal, he will take up around 10.5% of the Bears cap per year. Not 25%, not 33%. Don’t throw around numbers without doing the math. He don’t “get it”

Teams still not ready. I think you're throwing numbers. Look at all those numbers