Davis Webb?

ngbills

8 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This is the same team that took a RB at #2 overall when they could have drafted a promising QB of the future and traded for a punter. Let's not just assume they are great at making good decisions.

As it stands right now there are 3 QBs that know our offense...and one of those fellas now plays in Oakland. Need to get someone in here to learn in the event of injury. QB market isn't exactly robust right now. Are there better options than Webb out there that can be had? Not Likely.

Have you watched Webb play in his time with the Giants and what about his game makes him a viable candidate for the Bills?  

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Have you watched Webb play in his time with the Giants and what about his game makes him a viable candidate for the Bills?  

I have watched some of his play this year. He looked pretty good against Detroit and pretty serviceable against the Jets. 

I don't think he's going to be a superstar by any means, but at this point of the off-season you won't find anyone that is above JAG level. He's a JAG with some possible upside. I'm not saying sign to the roster, but he's someone that can learn the offense on the PS until a possible QB injury occurs. Are there really better options out there today?

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I have watched some of his play this year. He looked pretty good against Detroit and pretty serviceable against the Jets. 

I don't think he's going to be a superstar by any means, but at this point of the off-season you won't find anyone that is above JAG level. He's a JAG with some possible upside. I'm not saying sign to the roster, but he's someone that can learn the offense on the PS until a possible QB injury occurs. Are there really better options out there today?

What does that mean?  I think he's slow to process with plenty of poor decisions and inaccurate wobbly passes.  It's a pretty telling sign when a QB friendly coach like Pat Shurmur cuts a young guy instead of choosing to develop him.   Again, they kept Alex Tanney over him.  Pretty telling. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What does that mean?  I think he's slow to process with plenty of poor decisions and inaccurate wobbly passes.  It's a pretty telling sign when a QB friendly coach like Pat Shurmur cuts a young guy instead of choosing to develop him.   Again, the kept Alex Tanney over him.  Pretty telling. 

Actually, I believe they kept Kyle Lauletta over Webb as a you QB to develop. No sense having 2 guys that need the attention. We also have no way of knowing what someone like Tanney may offer in the building as opposed to on the field. 

Again, I will ask this. Who, right now that is available is a better option for a practice squad type QB? 

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

Actually, I believe they kept Kyle Lauletta over Webb as a you QB to develop. No sense having 2 guys that need the attention. We also have no way of knowing what someone like Tanney may offer in the building as opposed to on the field. 

Again, I will ask this. Who, right now that is available is a better option for a practice squad type QB? 

The Bills already have two young QBs to develop.  IMO they don't need another on the PS. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills already have two young QBs to develop.  IMO they don't need another on the PS. 

Well, they need someone at the position. There is a real good chance whoever starts is going to get banged up. I don't see them using a roster spot on a 3rd QB. 

I agree, with having 2 young QBs they don't need a 3rd young guy, but it's the hand they dealt themselves when they traded AJM. 

5 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Well, they need someone at the position. There is a real good chance whoever starts is going to get banged up. I don't see them using a roster spot on a 3rd QB. 

I agree, with having 2 young QBs they don't need a 3rd young guy, but it's the hand they dealt themselves when they traded AJM. 

We'll see how much they need a body based on this perceived injury risk.  I rather doubt they are thinking in this manner.  The pro personnel department under Morgan surely has a full list of potential QBs on the street as well as on practice squads just in case. 

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We'll see how much they need a body based on this perceived injury risk.  I rather doubt they are thinking in this manner.  The pro personnel department under Morgan surely has a full list of potential QBs on the street as well as on practice squads just in case. 

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

We are told time and again how QB is the "most important position in all of pro sports". We also live in an age where a guy is pulled for concussion protocol if a mosquito lands on their helmet wrong. All I'm saying is it would far benefit the team having a guy like Webb there, learning the offense in the event that Peterman or Allen can't go for a week rather than an extra DE. Unless you are clamouring for the return of Logan Thomas under center. 

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

We are told time and again how QB is the "most important position in all of pro sports". We also live in an age where a guy is pulled for concussion protocol if a mosquito lands on their helmet wrong. All I'm saying is it would far benefit the team having a guy like Webb there, learning the offense in the event that Peterman or Allen can't go for a week rather than an extra DE. Unless you are clamouring for the return of Logan Thomas under center. 

Failing to plan would be having no idea of who's available.  They do. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What does that mean?  I think he's slow to process with plenty of poor decisions and inaccurate wobbly passes.  It's a pretty telling sign when a QB friendly coach like Pat Shurmur cuts a young guy instead of choosing to develop him.   Again, the kept Alex Tanney over him.  Pretty telling. 

Shurm was actually a big Webb fan on college, wanted the Vikings to draft him, and was excited to get to work with him on the Giants, from what I've heard.

The fact that he decided to cut bait on him, even with all that going for him, is very telling.

The dude sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

It's funny I was talking with a friend who is a big Giants fan.  I told him I love Sanquon, but with Eli 38 years old they screwed up not drafting a QB in a stacked class.  He said the giants love the trio of Sanquan, Odell and Eli.  I said what is there plan at QB?  It's good to be proactive.  He said they have a good backup with Davis Webb, who they invested a lot of work into.

I am going to call my buddy now 

and I agree.  Sign him

• Like (+1) 1

It's funny I was talking with a friend who is a big Giants fan.  I told him I love Sanquon, but with Eli 38 years old they screwed up not drafting a QB in a stacked class.  He said the giants love the trio of Sanquan, Odell and Eli.  I said what is there plan at QB?  It's good to be proactive.  He said they have a good backup with Davis Webb, who they invested a lot of work into.

I am going to call my buddy now 

and I agree.  Sign him

My buddy is a giants fan too.

He's not happy.

He wanted Chubb or a QB long term.

Working out Paxton Lynch tomorrow. They should also work out Webb, Connor Cook, Landry Jones, Cardale, Josh Woodrum, Joe Callahan, Nic Shimonek, Logan Woodside, and Connor Jessup.

No downside to kicking the tires on players.

I don't think there are many teams out there with only two QB's on their entire 63 man team (which includes the practice squad).

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Working out Paxton Lynch tomorrow. They should also work out Webb, Connor Cook, Landry Jones, Cardale, Josh Woodrum, Joe Callahan, Nic Shimonek, Logan Woodside, and Connor Jessup.

No downside to kicking the tires on players.

I don't think there are many teams out there with only two QB's on their entire 63 man team (which includes the practice squad).

As much as I like the idea of Josh getting scout team reps...part of me wants to protect the asset a bit.

Just now, JoeF said:

As much as I like the idea of Josh getting scout team reps...part of me wants to protect the asset a bit.

Exactly. I hate the thought of Allen spending each week learning the opposing team's offense as opposed to preparing like a starter. He's only one Peterman injury away from being out there. Being the scout team QB doesn't come across as preparing well for the upcoming opponent.

Beane and company have lost my confidence to some degree. Possibly Peterman will develop into a adequate quarterback. I understand that winning keeps coaches and GM positions secure. While Peterman may translate into more wins short term (and buy time for coaches and management) I .believe Allen is our franchise Qb or he isn't and let's answer that question as soon as possible. Wins and losses with the team we have now? Only matter to coaches and GM's. We're not a playoff team with Peterman or Allen but a few more wins with Peterman may secure a few jobs.

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Beane and company have lost my confidence to some degree. Possibly Peterman will develop into a adequate quarterback. I understand that winning keeps coaches and GM positions secure. While Peterman may translate into more wins short term (and buy time for coaches and management) I .believe Allen is our franchise Qb or he isn't and let's answer that question as soon as possible. Wins and losses with the team we have now? Only matter to coaches and GM's. We're not a playoff team with Peterman or Allen but a few more wins with Peterman may secure a few jobs.

I believe that the coaching staff and front office also believe that Allen is the franchise QB

18 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I believe that the coaching staff and front office also believe that Allen is the franchise QB

I certainly hope he is but if he isn't I'd want to know that as soon as possible. Let's not worry more about possibly winning a few more games and delay his development and answering whether or not he's the guy.

9 minutes ago, Radar said:

I certainly hope he is but if he isn't I'd want to know that as soon as possible. Let's not worry more about possibly winning a few more games and delay his development and answering whether or not he's the guy.

I think slow playing him is the right approach. He’s got a lot to learn still and a lot of that is mental. I wish we had a more seasoned vet to show him the ropes but I’m just going to trust the process

6 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I think slow playing him is the right approach. He’s got a lot to learn still and a lot of that is mental. I wish we had a more seasoned vet to show him the ropes but I’m just going to trust the process

No choice at this point. Just not as confident in how they are handling this.

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

the Giants dropping Webb is telling of nothing more than that he was part of the McAdoo/Reese regime. New regimes drop old regime players routinely even if they have promise. 

Why would any regime drop a good player or one with a lot of promise?