Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

55 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Actually he will be using the "simulator".  He will be doing everything but actually flying.

It's good training but only gets him so far.

JA will take the planes yoke very soon.

That's not true at all. Flight Simulators are almost exactly like flying. You have to react in real time to real life situations, replicating the real thing. Being on the sidelines of a game or working scout team is NOTHING like that.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Leslie Frazier: "There's Nothing Like It" (8:47)

DC Leslie Frazier talks about the excitement of Week 1, facing Baltimore, applying pressure to the Quarterback and more.

Brian Daboll: "He's Gonna Get His Work" (12:23)

OC Brian Daboll talks about the Quarterbacks, facing Baltimore and more.

Daboll: Peterman Will Have the Freedom He Needs to Run the Offense

Bills' offensive coordinator Brian Daboll met with the media Thursday ahead of this weekend's regular season opener in Baltimore.  Here's the complete transcript of the session:

Did anyone else hear echoes of a more media-friendly Belicheck*** in all that?

"Do your job" - " Josh is going to have to do a great job " " offensive football is about all 11 guys being able to do their job " " that's the job of a quarterback " " that’s our job " "that's the job of an offense, get the play and execute the assignment"  Q: what will Josh gain by being on the bench? " Just concentrate on doing your job each and every day...That’ll benefit anybody. "

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's not true at all. Flight Simulators are almost exactly like flying. You have to react in real time to real life situations, replicating the real thing. Being on the sidelines of a game or working scout team is NOTHING like that.

Eh, not exactly.  The most expensive top-of-the-line flight simulators, the ones commercial jet pilots use, are close to flying, but there are all levels of simulators and some are very basic, people running MS flightsim with a tricked-out system have more realism.  IOW the size of "almost exactly" varies - a lot. 

There are aspects of the game that are only experienced by playing in the game.  I think the point Daboll was getting at in his interview was that a huge amount of what goes into being a successful professional takes place prior to the game, in terms of mastering the playbook, film study to understand the looks the D is showing you and interpret how you should react, work on mechanics, mental reps. 

The quality of what Allen gets out of all that will be related to the effort he puts into it all.  The game itself is 60 minutes of what might be a 60 hr week for some of the top guys.

Basically, Allen has himself said indirectly he can benefit a lot more from film work - that he was struggling to interpret the looks he saw from the D in the Bengals game.  That is pattern recognition that can be greatly improved by film and playbook study.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Come on Kelly you know what I meant by "simulator".

But if you want to go there............What is easier, flying an airplane or being an NFL Franchise QB?

You probably will not agree with me (or some others who feel this way) but I truly believe there are things that JA can be working on

in the next few weeks which will better prepare him for his QB duties in the NFL once he takes the field.

That being said, I also believe that for every week that JA does not start the amount of knowledge gained will diminish but that is better

left to be determined by the coaches when exactly that trigger point is met.

• Like (+1) 2

Game show!

Wink Martindale Isn’t Thinking About It Being His Debut (7:54)

Defensive Coordinator Wink Martindale talks about players he’s pumped up to see in Week 1.

Marty Mornhinweg Has Tight Lips on Lamar Jackson Plans (5:51)

Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg talks about his excitement to see what his unit can do in a real game.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on Kelly you know what I meant by "simulator".

But if you want to go there............What is easier, flying an airplane or being an NFL Franchise QB?

You probably will not agree with me (or some others who feel this way) but I truly believe there are things that JA can be working on

in the next few weeks which will better prepare him for his QB duties in the NFL once he takes the field.

That being said, I also believe that for every week that JA does not start the amount of knowledge gained will diminish but that is better

left to be determined by the coaches when exactly that trigger point is met.

I agree with all or mostly all of that. There are good and bad things about both schools of thought, and both ways have both failed and succeeded with other QBs. No one on earth knows if it is smarter or not to let Josh sit for awhile.

My only point is that in my opinion, the amount that he learns on the actual field if he plays right now, because it is the real thing, is better for him in the short, mid, and long term, UNLESS it is a confidence killer, which I truly don't think it will or would ever be because he's a strong willed, smart kid, who is used to not only being chased on 90% of pass plays but physical and mental abuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

In this episode, the Bills season is about to get underway as they take on the Baltimore Ravens. Sal Maiorana and Leo Roth break it all down, from Nathan Peterman to season win predictions at the end.

That pic begs the question, "Who throws a tighter, harder 10 yard out pattern, 24 year-old Nathan Peterman or 73 year-old Sal Maiorana?

• Haha (+1) 1

Good luck to Nathan Peterman.

Every QB has had a "bad game."  Time to show the "learning curve" from last year.

NP looked like the starter in game 3 of preseason.  JA was a deer in the headlights.  

Use our 2019 offseason assets to improve the OL by any means necessary...

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree with all or mostly all of that. There are good and bad things about both schools of thought, and both ways have both failed and succeeded with other QBs. No one on earth knows if it is smarter or not to let Josh sit for awhile.

My only point is that in my opinion, the amount that he learns on the actual field if he plays right now, because it is the real thing, is better for him in the short, mid, and long term, UNLESS it is a confidence killer, which I truly don't think it will or would ever be because he's a strong willed, smart kid, who is used to not only being chased on 90% of pass plays but physical and mental abuse. 

Thanks for reply.  I like the way you defined your point of view.

I also can agree that the "on the field" training is the best in many cases.

We both seem to agree about the bolded part of your reply but I guess we see it from different starting points.

I will agree that I think Josh Allen is strong willed.  It's one of the things I like about him.

I do think the way JA may have his confidence "killed" could (and I stress could) be not of his own making if the offense is really bad.

I want JA to start as soon as possible but I think he deserves to see (having Peterman start a few games) what kind of O he will be leading. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Like a fundamentals for example.  He ain't anywhere there yet on that.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for reply.  I like the way you defined your point of view.

I also can agree that the "on the field" training is the best in many cases.

We both seem to agree about the bolded part of your reply but I guess we see it from different starting points.

I will agree that I think Josh Allen is strong willed.  It's one of the things I like about him.

I do think the way JA may have his confidence "killed" could (and I stress could) be not of his own making if the offense is really bad.

I want JA to start as soon as possible but I think he deserves to see (having Peterman start a few games) what kind of O he will be leading. 

Fair enough. That is a legitimate POV.

I think Josh should play right now for about five separate reasons.

1. IMO, Peterman is a disaster waiting to happen. No need to rehash. Others disagree and that is fine and they may be right.

2. Our OL stinks right now and Peterman is likely to get killed behind it a lot more than bigger, more mobile, faster Josh who spent his entire college career used to jailbreaks, and Peterman is not good under a heavy rush.

3. What we discussed above. I don't think Josh will play well right away, but do think the earlier he plays, the quicker we get to him being good or great. There is no apprenticeship for starting QB in regular season NFL games.

4. We can only use half of our offense and half of the field with Nate, and the entire field with Josh.

5. Perhaps most importantly, the run game. The Ravens are going to line up 8-9 in the box all game long and take Shady  and our run game out of the game, and dare Nate to beat them over the top. I'm skeptical that he can for several reasons, not all of which are his doing. If Josh is in, they MUST respect his cannon and they cannot just crowd the line and stop the run like that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Fair enough. That is a legitimate POV.

I think Josh should play right now for about five separate reasons.

1. IMO, Peterman is a disaster waiting to happen. No need to rehash. Others disagree and that is fine and they may be right.

2. Our OL stinks right now and Peterman is likely to get killed behind it a lot more than bigger, more mobile, faster Josh who spent his entire college career used to jailbreaks, and Peterman is not good under a heavy rush.

3. What we discussed above. I don't think Josh will play well right away, but do think the earlier he plays, the quicker we get to him being good or great. There is no apprenticeship for starting QB in regular season NFL games.

4. We can only use half of our offense and half of the field with Nate, and the entire field with Josh.

5. Perhaps most importantly, the run game. The Ravens are going to line up 8-9 in the box all game long and take Shady  and our run game out of the game, and dare Nate to beat them over the top. I'm skeptical that he can for several reasons, not all of which are his doing. If Josh is in, they MUST respect his cannon and they cannot just crowd the line and stop the run like that. 

Interesting.  I see from your 5 reasons that all but #3 is about the Bills having a better chance to win the initial games with JA over NP.

I can see the reasoning of this though I'm sure that the NP supporters can and have made arguments over these points.

I guess I have separated JA development from the AJM/NP starter competition more than others.  Maybe my position is not best for the short term

team success and I surely can see it go against many fans who want to win right now.

Our discussion, one would think, has already taken place between Beane, McDermott and Daboll.  Wouldn't it be great to hear their pro's/con's bullet points!

I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about all of this at halftime of the Ravens game.  LOL 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think this is completely wrong.  Currently Josh holds the ball too long and would be at a much higher risk behind our line.  Nate processes quickly and let's it rip with an extremely quick release.

Yes, I know what happened against the Chargers last year...  But I put some of that on Dennison to go along with the oline- with Nate himself stinking.  I think Dabol is going to spread it out and let Nate play point guard- using his excellent processing and lightning release to spread it around.  I also anticipate the use of pace to keep those monstrous DT's stuck on the field.

I think fans are actually going to like Nate.  He is the anti- "Trentative" Edwards and Tyrod- who had to "see it" with no anticipation.  Nate is going to surprise, IMO.

The narrative of the Bills possibly being the worst team in the league is nuts, IMO.  I think the D will be strong- I'm not putting a lot of weight on a poor preseason showing.  It means little.  This team (and especially Peterman) should have a huge chip on their shoulder with all of this talk.  I like it.

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:
  1. Personally I thought Peterman looks like he has improved his game.....he was the most consistant and the bills want to sit Allen for a while  longer....I understand the reasoning and have no problem with it.....

Peterman is he starter for now....time to get behind it

Waiting breathlessly for 2-4.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Actually he will be using the "simulator".  He will be doing everything but actually flying.

It's good training but only gets him so far.

JA will take the planes yoke very soon.

I agree. One of the things Josh mentioned was he could not get the Bengals defense sorted pre snap.

That's okay, Those are things that come with school and time.

I am quite sure Bills want Allen to succeed.

He has not been on a game day sideline yet when the REAL bullets are flying.

That will be much more intense than any preseason game.

Give him a minute or two folks : )

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The thing is, in the classroom/film room they can simulate defenses and have him make the call . The checks needed  protections and where his 1-3 reads are and in real time using a stopwatch. They also can throw the different defenses during practice that Bills are expecting game day.

Don't short change the Process Kelly

: )

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did anyone else hear echoes of a more media-friendly Belicheck*** in all that?

"Do your job" - " Josh is going to have to do a great job " " offensive football is about all 11 guys being able to do their job " " that's the job of a quarterback " " that’s our job " "that's the job of an offense, get the play and execute the assignment"  Q: what will Josh gain by being on the bench? " Just concentrate on doing your job each and every day...That’ll benefit anybody. "

Eh, not exactly.  The most expensive top-of-the-line flight simulators, the ones commercial jet pilots use, are close to flying, but there are all levels of simulators and some are very basic, people running MS flightsim with a tricked-out system have more realism.  IOW the size of "almost exactly" varies - a lot. 

There are aspects of the game that are only experienced by playing in the game.  I think the point Daboll was getting at in his interview was that a huge amount of what goes into being a successful professional takes place prior to the game, in terms of mastering the playbook, film study to understand the looks the D is showing you and interpret how you should react, work on mechanics, mental reps. 

The quality of what Allen gets out of all that will be related to the effort he puts into it all.  The game itself is 60 minutes of what might be a 60 hr week for some of the top guys.

Basically, Allen has himself said indirectly he can benefit a lot more from film work - that he was struggling to interpret the looks he saw from the D in the Bengals game.  That is pattern recognition that can be greatly improved by film and playbook study.

excellent post in speaking about Daboll and Allen, ty

29 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think this is completely wrong.  Currently Josh holds the ball too long and would be at a much higher risk behind our line.  Nate processes quickly and let's it rip with an extremely quick release.

Yes, I know what happened against the Chargers last year...  But I put some of that on Dennison to go along with the oline- with Nate himself stinking.  I think Dabol is going to spread it out and let Nate play point guard- using his excellent processing and lightning release to spread it around.  I also anticipate the use of pace to keep those monstrous DT's stuck on the field.

I think fans are actually going to like Nate.  He is the anti- "Trentative" Edwards and Tyrod- who had to "see it" with no anticipation.  Nate is going to surprise, IMO.

The narrative of the Bills possibly being the worst team in the league is nuts, IMO.  I think the D will be strong- I'm not putting a lot of weight on a poor preseason showing.  It means little.  This team (and especially Peterman) should have a huge chip on their shoulder with all of this talk.  I like it.

I seriously wish I could be this optimistic about the line and Peterman...

From what I saw that first string Buffalo Bills O line couldn't give any QB the time to throw save against Carolina in which all three Bills QB's threw for over 100 yards. (gentleman's agreement?)  

"IF" the line gives Peterman more then 2 seconds to throw then he should be okay. If not the Ravens will see that fact and move up to stop the run making the offense impotent. It won't matter how well the Bills defense plays if the offense can't get moving. 

I hope that the Bills offensive line proves my eyes wrong and plays well and if so the Bills actually have a shot to win the game and shut the critics up.  :D

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Give him a minute or two folks : )

The thing is, in the classroom/film room they can simulate defenses and have him make the call . The checks needed  protections and where his 1-3 reads are and in real time using a stopwatch. They also can throw the different defenses during practice that Bills are expecting game day.

Don't short change the Process Kelly

It would be false, and completely different, my friend. Unless you are in the middle of the pocket, and see what only you can see with your helmet on in real time while thinking of where all receivers are, and simultaneously reading the defense, and simultaneously looking where the defenders are and will be where you are thinking of throwing it, ALL while Terrell Suggs is drooling to tear your head off and puncture your spleen 1-2 yards away from you and coming fast, you have little idea what it is like, regardless of your college or preseason or practice or classroom  career.

55 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I lean this way as well.

The point about quick read and release is what is needed as the O line et al , gets sorted. I voted for AJM to start in the Offseason. I am fine with Nate and think he offers the best hope for wins right now.

and I am a Josh Allen Fan all the way by now !