Antoine Winfield Redux

Our constant shuffling of HC's and D coordinators is why we lost great players who were short in stature like Winfield and Fletcher. They just did not appreciate what they did bring and instead focused on their own schemes instead of adjusting to accommodate these solid players

• Like (+1) 1

Iirc we didn't keep Winfield because we wanted to keep Nate Clements who was up for a big contract the following year, and then we didn't keep him either because SF gave him about $50m which was ridiculous back then. That's how I remember it anyway. I always like Winfield better and thought we should have paid him. 

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Our constant shuffling of HC's and D coordinators is why we lost great players who were short in stature like Winfield and Fletcher. They just did not appreciate what they did bring and instead focused on their own schemes instead of adjusting to accommodate these solid players

Great observation and great post!

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Winfield was underrated.  Very good tackler and great cover man.  Never got the acclaim because he didn’t put up INT numbers but he was a solid member of some great Bills defenses.  Losing him in free agency definitely hurt

He was my favorite player back in the day.  I seem to be the only one who saw his locker room clean out interview with WGR.

He was straight up asked if he wanted to come back to Buffalo after this season.  He just smiled and said "we'll see".  I knew he was a goner after that.  There was a guy on one of the other Bills message boards who had an inside source and he said Winfield was a goner too because he hated Gregg Williams.

30 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In honor of one of my very favorite all-time Bills, a warrior, a great player, and the best pure tackler I have ever seen anywhere, let me introduce to you, Antoine Winfield, Jr...

Agree with your Winfield assessment, 100% doggy. 

That was a hell of a return by his son.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Iirc we didn't keep Winfield because we wanted to keep Nate Clements who was up for a big contract the following year, and then we didn't keep him either because SF gave him about $50m which was ridiculous back then. That's how I remember it anyway. I always like Winfield better and thought we should have paid him. 

Yeah that probably had a lot to do with it

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
57 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Winfield was underrated.  Very good tackler and great cover man.  Never got the acclaim because he didn’t put up INT numbers but he was a solid member of some great Bills defenses.  Losing him in free agency definitely hurt

I don't think he was underrated.  He went to the Pro-Bowl 3 times with the Vikings and was pretty highly regarded among fans and members of the media.  

5 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I don't think he was underrated.  He went to the Pro-Bowl 3 times with the Vikings and was pretty highly regarded among fans and members of the media.  

True but he was underrated on the Bills, surely by a lot of people here. He wasn't any better on the Vikings than he was on the Bills (extremely efficient in both places) and he go no Pro Bowl bids. He had a few more INTs on the Vikes but the most he ever had was 4 and the three years he went to Pro Bowl he had 2-1-2 or something like that. He should have gone to pro bowl earlier on the Vikes. He was underrated there, too, for a few years. 

40 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That really was a terrific return. Have no idea if he is highly regarded or not as a player. 

Yes and no. Not highly recruited, but a good player for Minnesota, which doesn’t have many. He was one of the kids caught up in the sexual assault scandal a couple years ago, but was not found culpable. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1