Ringer article: "The Rookie QB Generating the Most Hype This Preseason Is … Josh Allen?"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/8/23/17772724/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-nfl-preseason-hype

Allen hasn’t just been handed the job because, as the no. 7 overall pick, he’s the future of the franchise. The best argument that he should play in Week 1 is that he looks … good?

and

He has demonstrated some of the exact traits some people (me) doubted, like the poise to avoid a pass rush while keeping his eyes downfield.

[Twitter Video clip in article]

He so deftly sidesteps Browns defensive end Nate Orchard here (and on every other play Orchard got pressure) that Allen inadvertently made a cameo as Orchard’s white whale in Hard Knocks.

QB guru Greg Cosell liking what he sees now:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/08/nfl_expert_greg_cosell_praises_josh_allen.html

Key point:

" He was consistently accurate. It was only one week and I'm only telling you what the tape shows, but he looks like he's being coached. It also looks like he's being receptive to that coaching. "

Check it out.  Cosell has some points about Daboll calling a game that forced Josh to work on aspects of his game that were weak in college.  He is one of the guys who actually spend huge time watching tape and know how to assess it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/08/nfl_expert_greg_cosell_praises_josh_allen.html

Key point:

" He was consistently accurate. It was only one week and I'm only telling you what the tape shows, but he looks like he's being coached. It also looks like he's being receptive to that coaching. "

Check it out.  Cosell has some points about Daboll calling a game that forced Josh to work on aspects of his game that were weak in college.  He is one of the guys who actually spend huge time watching tape and know how to assess it.

I will have to admit that I have been pleasantly surprised by the play of Allen. I am not a big fan of throwing rookie QBs in the mix, but he appears to have the right stuff. We will get a better picture on Sunday versus the Bengals...especially if they throw a bunch of blitzes at him. 

On 8/25/2018 at 9:11 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Key point:

thats great. Im so glad we got rid of dennison so we could have a better OC coaching up our rookie. I wanted us to draft Mayfield or Rosen but Allen has def stepped up and looks to be just as ready as them to start week one. As long as Allen can adjust to reading real NFL defenses fast enough, then we have our franchise QB.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:11 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Key point:

Honest question: why is Cossell considered a QBs guru?

and this goes to show how silly people crying about the “hate” Allen was getting earlier.  He was one of the top stories on sports center this morning.  If he plays well, he will get attention.  If he sucks, he will get blasted.  It’s pretty simple.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 2:52 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honest question: why is Cossell considered a QBs guru?

Honest answer: because apparently people who know something about football, consider him to know something.

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/greg-cosell-unheralded-maestro-of-n-f-l-matchup/

To N.F.L. insiders, Cosell is a treasure trove of information. Pro football writers and broadcasters regularly hit him up privately for analysis. General managers ask for his assessment of draft prospects. Coaches are curious about his methods of breaking down film. “I got to know Greg from taking trips down to NFL Films over the last 15 or 20 years,”  Sports Illustrated’s Peter King said. “He was always sort of the wizard behind the curtain. I always respected his opinion because you could tell he watches every game. He watches all the players. And it isn’t about who has the best stats, it’s about the best players.”

As far as I can tell, Cosell was a kid who applied for a job with NFL films 39 years ago (where being the nephew of Howard Cosell may or may not have helped him), made good, and got to make a career out of his passion for X's and O's and breaking down film.   But unlike the sound-bite crowd, he actually puts in the hours and hours in the film room to back up what he says.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Honest answer: because apparently people who know something about football, consider him to know something.

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/greg-cosell-unheralded-maestro-of-n-f-l-matchup/

To N.F.L. insiders, Cosell is a treasure trove of information. Pro football writers and broadcasters regularly hit him up privately for analysis. General managers ask for his assessment of draft prospects. Coaches are curious about his methods of breaking down film. “I got to know Greg from taking trips down to NFL Films over the last 15 or 20 years,”  Sports Illustrated’s Peter King said. “He was always sort of the wizard behind the curtain. I always respected his opinion because you could tell he watches every game. He watches all the players. And it isn’t about who has the best stats, it’s about the best players.”

As far as I can tell, Cosell was a kid who applied for a job with NFL films 39 years ago (where being the nephew of Howard Cosell may or may not have helped him), made good, and got to make a career out of his passion for X's and O's and breaking down film.   But unlike the sound-bite crowd, he actually puts in the hours and hours in the film room to back up what he says.

He is on One Bills Live quite regularly and he seems to know his stuff. He's always insightful.

• Like (+1) 1