Top Gun Sequel Filming

/dev/null

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Eventually, but we're not quite there yet.

Love that they have Val Kilmer coming back.  Guessing they won't be showing him in the airplane.

I would figure that is all they will show him in, so you only see from the head up. Will be weird how they explain why theres a jet on the volleyball court though.......

They could also paint his body to look like a jet and just let him walk around making jet noises....

23 hours ago, sherpa said:

For those of us who have done this, given what has happened over the past decades,  the most appropriate plot would be a standoff between the protagonists involving who made the best Power Point presentation describing the benefits of the contributions of the LGBGT community, and an admission that "Ice's" call sign had been changed to "Iceberg," given his weight issues in the interim.

Don't forget the required SAPR course explaining why McGillis as an instructor was guilty of sexual harassment of her student Maverick

This will probably catch some heat, but I never got what the big deal is about Top Gun. It's a good movie, and I enjoyed it well enough. But I don't get why it's considered such a classic. I've been told it's because I wasn't alive during the Cold War, so I wouldn't understand. But I enjoy other Cold War films like Rocky IV and Red Dawn. Even thought Rambo III, although the weakest of the series, wasn't as bad as people say.

36 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

This will probably catch some heat, but I never got what the big deal is about Top Gun. It's a good movie, and I enjoyed it well enough. But I don't get why it's considered such a classic. I've been told it's because I wasn't alive during the Cold War, so I wouldn't understand. But I enjoy other Cold War films like Rocky IV and Red Dawn. Even thought Rambo III, although the weakest of the series, wasn't as bad as people say.

I don't think the cold war had anything to do with its popularity.

The best part of the movie are the flight scenes, and they are very well filmed.

Still, they are ridiculously unrealistic, and the plot is bizarre on so many levels.

I went there as one of the aggressors.  One of the guys trained to be the "bad guys."  The guys who actually run these training sorties.

I've sat in that room and run debriefs where the Kelly McGillis character first meets Cruz countless times.

Having a civilian female offer any kind of critique is wacky.

So is taking anybody of a carrier cruise and sending them there. When on cruise, there is nobody to spare.

TopGun is a shore duty thing, after the cruise has ended and squadrons can spare guys.

Another bit of nonsense is the call sign thing, especially during airwing operations on a carrier. You are one of many. No different than anyone else.

One thing that is real about the movie involves the scenes at the Miramar, (San Diego), Officers club. Remember when Cruz breaks into a Righteous Brothers song?

It was absolutely the way it was depicted.

Every Wed night it was like that, and more. A lot more.

Alas, all that has been destroyed

The other thing they got completely right is the opening scene where they show airplanes taxiing around and getting into the cat launch apparatus, then launching.

What they got right is the sound and the intensity.

Whenever I view that scene, and hear that sound I still have a physiological response. 

It is exactly like that, and it is extremely intense.

Edited by sherpa

14 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

By modern standards, the story is a bit lame.  

For 1986, the movie had a lot of big, known names, it had a soundtrack that was just as popular as the movie itself.  It was also an immensely popular rental in the dawn of the affordable VHS where you had video rental stores popping up all over the place.

It also had something movies at the time did not - nearly full cooperation from the US Navy so being on the deck of a carrier was like a first generation IMAX experience.  

On 8/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, sherpa said:

The best part of the movie are the flight scenes, and they are very well filmed.

Still, they are ridiculously unrealistic, and the plot is bizarre on so many levels.

I've never heard anyone claim this movie is realistic.

We all know recruiters are anything but realistic.

18 hours ago, dpberr said:

By modern standards, the story is a bit lame.  

For 1986, the movie had a lot of big, known names, it had a soundtrack that was just as popular as the movie itself.  It was also an immensely popular rental in the dawn of the affordable VHS where you had video rental stores popping up all over the place.

It also had something movies at the time did not - nearly full cooperation from the US Navy so being on the deck of a carrier was like a first generation IMAX experience.  

I think it's funny that they're trying to claim this will be a recruiting tool, just like the first one. I guess it'll depend on how they execute it.

I don't think today's social climate is producing the same kind of impressionable young generation that existed in the 80s.

Edited by LeGOATski

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I've never heard anyone claim this movie is realistic.

We all know recruiters are anything but realistic.

Recruiters had nothing to do with it.

Bruckheimer et al.,  stated what they wanted. The Navy obliged, if it was safe and didn't compromise anything.

They came to the Navy, not vice versa.

That stuff happens often in those types of movies.

For example, in the move "The Final Coundown," the filmmakers wanted to barricade a carrier airplane. The barricade is only used if there is some problem that prevents an airplane from landing normally, ie., using its tailhook and the ship's arresting gear.

It's extremely rare.

The problem is that it destroys the airplane and is quite dangerous for the pilot, so the Navy said no.  

On 8/23/2018 at 10:01 AM, LeGOATski said:

Squats

That immediately triggered a visual.  I'm going to Hell.

Good thing there will be so many other TBD-TSW-OTW participants there to talk to.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

The problem is that it destroys the airplane and is quite dangerous for the pilot, so the Navy said no.  

They should have called Gerry Anderson and his 'Supermarionation' method.  $3,000 in models and $79 in cheap fireworks and it's done.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Good thing there will be so many other TBD-TSW-OTW participants there to talk to.

Sorry you will be going to limbo to wait for eternity.  It is full already of PPP participants who sold their souls.  The devil got a bad deal since they weren't much of a soul anyways.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:42 PM, Another Fan said:

I thought that pic of the original actress was a joke at first!

Anyway that movie was the start of Cruise playing more cocky characters.  I liked Risky Business and All The Right Moves 

Cocktail and Days of Thunder were my favorite cocky Cruise films. 

On 8/23/2018 at 6:24 PM, sherpa said:

I went there as one of the aggressors.  One of the guys trained to be the "bad guys."  The guys who actually run these training sorties.

I've sat in that room and run debriefs where the Kelly McGillis character first meets Cruz countless times.

Having a civilian female offer any kind of critique is wacky.

So is taking anybody of a carrier cruise and sending them there. When on cruise, there is nobody to spare.

TopGun is a shore duty thing, after the cruise has ended and squadrons can spare guys.

Another bit of nonsense is the call sign thing, especially during airwing operations on a carrier. You are one of many. No different than anyone else.

One thing that is real about the movie involves the scenes at the Miramar, (San Diego), Officers club. Remember when Cruz breaks into a Righteous Brothers song?

It was absolutely the way it was depicted.

Every Wed night it was like that, and more. A lot more.

Alas, all that has been destroyed

The other thing they got completely right is the opening scene where they show airplanes taxiing around and getting into the cat launch apparatus, then launching.

What they got right is the sound and the intensity.

Whenever I view that scene, and hear that sound I still have a physiological response. 

It is exactly like that, and it is extremely intense.

Love reading your comments about all this stuff! 

My biggest complaint with Top Gun was the "Soviet" F-5s painted gloss black (?) with fictional Soviet markings.  

Who the hell made those decisions?  They could have at least put an accurate paint scheme and markings on one.  

M01.jpg