Why is nobody discussing the offensive line?

BigDingus

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

I wouldn't say he excels....DBs have jumped the routes and broken up and almost intercepted him this preseason....

That's going to be an issue. WRs and TEs are going to have to fight for it. I'm not sure there are many options for the offense this year. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

That's going to be an issue. WRs and TEs are going to have to fight for it. I'm not sure there are many options for the offense this year. 

Allen...much more mobile and stronger arm.....some long completions and DBs have to back off a bit

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

So, you think that just because the Bills got lucky and won 9 games last last year, cutting offensive talent and replacing them with JAGs and backups or players with well-known injury problems is a formula for success and should be repeated?  Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny, too?

In 2017,  the Bills let Pro Bowl DB Stephon Gilmore and WRs Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin walk in FA.  They traded away Sammy Watkins in training camp, and then sent Ronald Darby to Philly for Jordan Matthews.  They traded away former Pro Bowler Marcell Dareus during the season.

So far in 2018, Eric Wood and Richie Incognito retired and Cordy Glenn was traded.  DBs Leonard Johnson,  EJ Gaines, and Shareece Wright as well as backup OT Seantrel Henderson left in free agency.

Who have they replaced these players with?

Wow, we’re !@#$ed, huh?

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Allen...much more mobile and stronger arm.....some long completions and DBs have to back off a bit

Long completions to who? Our deep threats have a history of underwhelming performance. Lets hope they develop along with his ability to read defenses. This line is horrible and it's probably going to kill the run game, which won't help. I don't argue that he has the higher ceiling, but I'm worried about the rest of the team around him. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Come week 1 Groy will be starting at C and Teller will be starting at LG and we'll be fine. I hope.

every time there is a bad block I look and see Vlad standing there watching his guy kill our QB/RB.  This needs to stop.   

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

every time there is a bad block I look and see Vlad standing there watching his guy kill our QB/RB.  This needs to stop.   

The most important part of a good football team are the men up front and everyone thats pushing now for Allen to start ( including myself ) could probably use a reality check.

The Bills Oline is not good enough to put a rookie behind IMO.

We can argue Allen makes the O better because he does, but that doesn't give Josh Allen good protection.

Edited by Figster

1 minute ago, Figster said:

The most important part of a good football team are the men up front and everyone thats pushing now for Allen to start ( including myself ) probably could use a reality check.

The Bills Oline is not good enough to put a rookie behind IMO.

We can argue Allen makes the O better because he does, but that doesn't give Josh Allen good protection.

I think if they do name Allen the starter, which I think is right now pretty close to 50/50 then it will be on the OC Daboll and Line coach to work those protections and keep him clean. Probably move the pocket, keep a TE in more, and keep the FB in to pass protect as well.  But they will have to alter their scheme a little to make up for the lack of pass protection.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think if they do name Allen the starter, which I think is right now pretty close to 50/50 then it will be on the OC Daboll and Line coach to work those protections and keep him clean. Probably move the pocket, keep a TE in more, and keep the FB in to pass protect as well.  But they will have to alter their scheme a little to make up for the lack of pass protection.   

Great post Pops

I agree, a safe, run heavy, get the ball out of Allens hands quickly game plan would be in order.

Great post Pops

I agree, a safe, run heavy, get the ball out of Allens hands quickly game plan would be in order.

I do think that teams in the preseason are also tempering their defensive scheme knowing McCoy isn't going to get more than 2-5 touches a game as well.

We get into the season and defenses will concentrate more on him, if they blindly rush the QB the way Greg Williams did last week, Daboll will throw a screen to McCoy and take it to the house.   Our offense right now is more about getting Allen/Peterman/McCarron situational football and just moving the chains.   Getting them in positions where they can be evaluated equally.  Which was hard last week with the Oline being so bad.   

But I do think week 1 the offense we see will not look anything like what we're looking at now.   Like the new model trucks you see on Car and Driver that are covered with black matting and boxes during testing.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I do think that teams in the preseason are also tempering their defensive scheme knowing McCoy isn't going to get more than 2-5 touches a game as well.

We get into the season and defenses will concentrate more on him, if they blindly rush the QB the way Greg Williams did last week, Daboll will throw a screen to McCoy and take it to the house.   Our offense right now is more about getting Allen/Peterman/McCarron situational football and just moving the chains.   Getting them in positions where they can be evaluated equally.  Which was hard last week with the Oline being so bad.   

But I do think week 1 the offense we see will not look anything like what we're looking at now.   Like the new model trucks you see on Car and Driver that are covered with black matting and boxes during testing.  

I feel a little better already.

I hope all is going well with you buddy.

I feel a little better already.

I hope all is going well with you buddy.

Well on a personal note, my son's varsity team won Friday night 49-14, the other team didn't have the size to match up, or the skill position players.    We're not that good in reality.     

And Sunday someone showed up and bought my boat, which is a good thing because it no longer supported my needs and it was time to move on.   Now my Sundays are freed up to watch Allen throw bombs to Coleman :D 

Well on a personal note, my son's varsity team won Friday night 49-14, the other team didn't have the size to match up, or the skill position players.    We're not that good in reality.     

And Sunday someone showed up and bought my boat, which is a good thing because it no longer supported my needs and it was time to move on.   Now my Sundays are freed up to watch Allen throw bombs to Coleman :D 

lol,  I wouldn't miss it for the world,

Hey man, I kept messaging Tepco "you better dump water on the situation before you burn a hole through to china," 6 months and millions of dollars in fried robots later they finally did, hehe

Hows that red tide treating you?

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

lol,  I wouldn't miss it for the world,

Hey man, I kept messaging Tepco "you better dump water on the situation before you burn a hole through to china," 6 months and millions of dollars in fried robots later they finally did, hehe

Hows that red tide treating you?

i'm far north of the red tide so we didn't have any effects up here but I can see them from friends posting , and Sanibel island used to be a paradise and now the most gorgeous beach in FL had bobcats loading up tons of dead  fish that stunk to high heaven all over the place.   It's sad it had to come to this to get wheels turning. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

i'm far north of the red tide so we didn't have any effects up here but I can see them from friends posting , and Sanibel island used to be a paradise and now the most gorgeous beach in FL had bobcats loading up tons of dead  fish that stunk to high heaven all over the place.   It's sad it had to come to this to get wheels turning. 

It is sad, but maybe something will be done about it now.

Congrads on your sons victory my friend, and I'm glad you'll be watching Allens development on Sunday.(we hope)

• Like (+1) 1

I was wondering if we kept Cordy Glenn and came across this take on OL,   hmm

Von Miller, Watt and Oakland’s Khalil Mack are missiles seeking heat. So-called “three-technique" interior linemen such as Geno Atkins and Aaron Donald crumple guards and centers. The quickest way to the quarterback is up the middle, not around the side, blind or otherwise.

“Times have changed," said Bengals line coach Frank Pollack. “We want to be firm inside-out from the pocket. If we’re going to be loose, we’d rather be loose wider, so (the QB) can step up."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2018/08/22/daugherty-bengals-need-more-than-lineman-glenn-protect-andy-dalton/1064735002/

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Food for thought perhaps.

That's great news for now. Hoping he can keep that up when the competition steps up. Hopefully he can earn a spot with the starters & stay healthy.