National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Since Allen was in the draft pool with the other high end prospects I considered him to be not only a legitimate franchise qb prospect but beyond that a very good franchise qb prospect. It's not a slight to not believe that he will be as accurate as two of the most accurate qbs in modern history. I really don't see what the controversy is about. 

Makes sense to me.  Legitimate franchise qb is what he was and still is.  

48 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Since Allen was in the draft pool with the other high end prospects I considered him to be not only a legitimate franchise qb prospect but beyond that a very good franchise qb prospect. It's not a slight to not believe that he will be as accurate as two of the most accurate qbs in modern history. I really don't see what the controversy is about. 

The controversy is over unrealistic fan expectations leading to pressure put on an organization to play a rookie QB too early because he was a high pick and to ruin said QB by doing so.

Let the kid develop and be happy if he gets his percentage to 60% in a year or two. Its that simple, really.

Edited by MURPHD6

All I want is 1 snap with the 1st team, flea flicker from Shady to Allen right into Coleman’s &$@$ing surgically repaired bread basket....while Zay Jones blocks downfield. That’s it. I don’t care. This is supposed to be entertainment. Give me some of that. I want it now...

I don’t believe Beane/McD will succumb to “fan pressure” in any way.  Allen will play if he shows he is the best QB and gives us the best chance to win.  After today’s practice, I believe that Allen will at least be given a chance to demonstrate that he deserves to be the starter.  

For me, I really need to see what he does with a better o-line out there.  His protection was not good last Thursday.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

The controversy is over unrealistic fan expectations leading to pressure put on an organization to play a rookie QB too early because he was a high pick and to ruin said QB by doing so.

Let the kid develop and be happy if he gets his percentage to 60% in a year or two. Its that simple, really.

That's not what the controversy was over at all.  It was simply about John's view that Allen will never be accurate. 

I don't see anyone saying to play Allen too early.  

It's completely clear when Allen is going to play, and it has very little to do with his completion percentage.   He'll play when he's the QB who gives the Bills the best chance to win.  That could be in four weeks against Baltimore, it could be in the middle of the 2018 season, it could be at the beginning of the 2019 season, it could be never.  

However, to my eyes, he'll be starting sooner rather later.  If he's completing 58% of his passes and averaging 8.5 yards per attempt, he'll start over McCarron dinking and dunkin for a 62% completion percentage and 6.8 yards per attempt.  A four percentage point difference in completion percentage amounts to 1 and occasionally 2 additional completions a game.   IF your QB is throwing it downfield, the extra yardage he gets more than makes up for one more 6 yard dumpoff.  

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t believe Beane/McD will succumb to “fan pressure” in any way.  Allen will play if he shows he is the best QB and gives us the best chance to win.  After today’s practice, I believe that Allen will at least be given a chance to demonstrate that he deserves to be the starter.  

Pretty simple, isn't it?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

After Thursday night, if you are questioning Allen's accuracy you either didn't watch the game or have blind hatred for Allen.  He has the tools be one the purest passers in the league.  He made throws that really only Rodgers could complete.  I'm not sure if the game is slowed down enough to warrant starting week 1 but when he does look out.  Friday night when Allen has Coleman tracking the deep ball instead of Foster the conversation may be mute.  Foster pulls in either deep TD the national media is praising Allen as the steal of the draft.  The stats looked like he is inaccurate.  When really he had a guy give up on a route, and short arm another.  

Exactly.

He missed 9 passes.

2 were blatant drops that should have been caught.

He'd have a 58% completion % with just those 2 catches.

Of the 3 bombs to Foster that were incomplete, 2 of those could have easily been catches and TDs. The 1st one absolutely should have been. Foster turned his head to look back at the QB while running the moment he passed the DB and ran for 30+ yards looking backwards and the ball STILL basically hit his fingertips. Try running 30 yards looking backwards. That was on Foster. The other bomb Foster just stopped running at one point because he thought Allen was sacked.

If Foster catches just one of those 2 passes and the 2 blatant drops are caught, Allen has a 63% completion %. If both are caught, he's 68.4%.

All while throwing downfield and throwing for another TD or 2.

Allen was accurate in that game. That's a great example of stats lying.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GoodHands15 said:

All I want is 1 snap with the 1st team, flea flicker from Shady to Allen right into Coleman’s &$@$ing surgically repaired bread basket....while Zay Jones blocks downfield. That’s it. I don’t care. This is supposed to be entertainment. Give me some of that. I want it now...

That sounds more like a Rex thing. Why just beat them when we can try to trick them? Not a big fan of that line of thinking in general. 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude, catching that deep ball and staying in bounds was virtually impossible. 

It was a bad throw. While foster had way too many drops, that one was not on him. It was a bad throw by Allen. It's ok. 

Yeah, he missed by a few feet on a long ball over the outside shoulder in his first preseason action. That’s fine.  I can live with what I saw, and pray for progress. 

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

After Thursday night, if you are questioning Allen's accuracy you either didn't watch the game or have blind hatred for Allen.  He has the tools be one the purest passers in the league.  He made throws that really only Rodgers could complete.  I'm not sure if the game is slowed down enough to warrant starting week 1 but when he does look out.  Friday night when Allen has Coleman tracking the deep ball instead of Foster the conversation may be mute.  Foster pulls in either deep TD the national media is praising Allen as the steal of the draft.  The stats looked like he is inaccurate.  When really he had a guy give up on a route, and short arm another.  

I love our boards optimism (and why not...after almost two decades we actually have a QB who can throw the ball to anywhere in the field).  The key is that (as cliche goes!)  the NFL is a game of inches...If you made that throw then you are called accurate...if you didn't, then you are labeled inaccurate... 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, he missed by a few feet on a long ball over the outside shoulder in his first preseason action. That’s fine.  I can live with what I saw, and pray for progress. 

+1  Give him time

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Makes sense to me.  Legitimate franchise qb prospect is what he was and still is.  

fixed it!

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude, catching that deep ball and staying in bounds was virtually impossible. 

It was a bad throw. While foster had way too many drops, that one was not on him. It was a bad throw by Allen. It's ok. 

Maybe maybe not. I have read people saying that saw it head on say Foster was drifting. And the reality is he had his hands on it with 1 foot in bounds. 

You expect a WR to have the body control to get the other in bounds. I mean want to tell me Lee (a blocking TE) has better body control than a WR?

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Maybe maybe not. I have read people saying that saw it head on say Foster was drifting. And the reality is he had his hands on it with 1 foot in bounds. 

You expect a WR to have the body control to get the other in bounds. I mean want to tell me Lee (a blocking TE) has better body control than a WR?

To me the more impossible catch was the one Benjamin made.  That ball was a good yard out of bounds but the freak caught it with both feet in.  IMO better receivers catch at least one or two of those deep balls.  At least one more TD.  Allen did just fine.  Better than I anticipated.

Edited by Scott7975

Allen looked like the raw but tantalizing potential prospect he was coming out of college. It's week one of pre-season so I can't get too hyped either way about it. Allen did his thing, some good and some bad. But I think it is clear from what I watched that it is in Allen's best interest to sit for most of this season. If there is 4-5 games left and the season is lost then start Allen with a low-pressure low expectation situation benefiting him. If Allen is rushed in too early it might derail his development. 

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Allen looked like the raw but tantalizing potential prospect he was coming out of college. It's week one of pre-season so I can't get too hyped either way about it. Allen did his thing, some good and some bad. But I think it is clear from what I watched that it is in Allen's best interest to sit for most of this season. If there is 4-5 games left and the season is lost then start Allen with a low-pressure low expectation situation benefiting him. If Allen is rushed in too early it might derail his development. 

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The only way Allen will improve is playing. Sitting a mentally strong person is foolish. Allen isn’t goin to give up on himself ever. Allen knows he belongs in the League. Exposure is what will make Allen the best QB to ever play in Buffalo. 

So then, everyone's on the same page?  

This is why I’ll leave it to the staff. Guys who actually know and speak daily to the people involved. 

• Haha (+1) 1