Is the UK the most productive country when it comes to music ?

Iron Maiden

23 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

The Brits did tend to dominate music in 60's - 80's, but not so much anymore.

Most of my collection would be US, British, Jamaican, Ireland

Allman Brothers

Grateful Dead

The Doors

Santana

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Linkin Park

Aerosmith

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

All can equal The British Invasion bands.

Actually, for me, none of these can equal the bands in the OP.

If you had listed Springsteen, CCR, and The Eagles, it would be a little different. 

All Time Favorites

1. Rolling Stones (UK)
  2. Waylon Jennings (Texas)
  3. Willie Nelson (Texas)
  4. AC/DC (Australia)
  5. Creedence Clearwater Revival (USA)
  6. The Beatles (UK)
  7. Johnny Cash (US)
  8. Elton John (UK)
  9. ZZ Top (Texas)
  10. Stevie Ray (Texas)

Does Texas count as its own? 

If I removed country music (since that's almost purely American)

1. Rolling Stones (UK)
  2. AC/DC (Australia with Scottish roots)
  3. Creedence Clearwater Revival (USA)
  4. The Beatles (UK)
  5. Elton John (UK)
  6. ZZ Top (Texas)
  7. Stevie Ray (Texas)
  8. The Beach Boys (USA)
  9. Bob Seger (USA)
  10. Queen (UK)

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

Actually, for me, none of these can equal the bands in the OP.

If you had listed Springsteen, CCR, and The Eagles, it would be a little different. 

It's all in the ears and tastes of the listener.

The 60's - through early 80's IMO was the best music ever. Fans of classical and other genres would obviously disagree with me, but as I said, it's all in the ears of who's listening and that's just my opinion.

10 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Um. Garth did sell out shows internationally... Sorry brahhhh

Thanks

He's #9 on all time concert grossing.

And I guess maybe 400,000 tickets in Ireland ain't much...

He probably does well in English speaking countries.....How about South America or the other European countries like Poland, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Belgium, France or Romania.. ?...or China...or Japan... ?....The Rolling Stones would sell out any stadiums in those countries...Iron Maiden is doing it as we speak.....That was my main point...Rock MUSIC translate to more people/culture than country does....Country is mainly a US thing...Rock is international...IMO of course...

Edited by Iron Maiden

52 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

He probably does well in English speaking countries.....How about South America or the other European countries like Poland, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Belgium, France or Romania.. ?...or China...or Japan... ?....The Rolling Stones would sell out any stadiums in those countries...Iron Maiden is doing it as we speak.....That was my main point...Rock MUSIC translate to more people/culture than country does....Country is mainly a US thing...Rock is international...IMO of course...

You have me curious. I'll look tomorrow

On 8/5/2018 at 7:12 PM, joesixpack said:

I’m as big a fan of British rock as anyone but they only make good music when their economy blows. 

A valid point. 

The best bands tend to come from the biggest sh*thole cities. Well, Manchester. 

ColdPlay make me want to masturbate with a cheese grater.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:12 PM, LeGOATski said:

For rock & roll, yeah. I'd give the edge to the UK over the US historically.

There's still a ton of great rock coming out of both countries. Many of you need to modernize your playlists.

Too late for this old fart to modernize.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

The "setlist wiki" (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map/garth-brooks-1bd6b168.html) lists about 675 concerts for Garth Brooks. All but ~50 were in the US or Canada, and all but 17 were in English-speaking countries. Of the 17 in countries where English in not the main language, 15 occurred in a single tour in 1994/1995, although I read somewhere else that more concerts outside of the US and Canada are planned.  Thus, Iron Maiden's point seems to be well-taken.

Edited by DrW

On 8/5/2018 at 10:23 PM, T&C said:

Where would you rate this one?

or, this one...

Interesting choice in albums.   I think our tastes overlap.   I had both of these albums.   At the time Sweetheart of the Rodeo was a bit of a disappointment.  I loved the Byrd sound especially on the Gene Clark compositions.   However, I did like it enough to get the Burrito album.     So the only one missing is Poco and as a Richie Furay fan from his Buffalo Springfield Days, I have Picken up the Pieces also.

18 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Interesting choice in albums.   I think our tastes overlap.   I had both of these albums.   At the time Sweetheart of the Rodeo was a bit of a disappointment.  I loved the Byrd sound especially on the Gene Clark compositions.   However, I did like it enough to get the Burrito album.     So the only one missing is Poco and as a Richie Furay fan from his Buffalo Springfield Days, I have Picken up the Pieces also.

Sweatheart of the Rodeo is 50 years old. McGuinn and Hillman are on the road now playing it in its entirety..

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Greybeard said:

There is one more missing piece. I owned Safe at Home once, it was a white label promo and I'm not sure if it was legit or not but I sold it probably 20 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Submarine_Band

First country/rock album ever? I don't know but it has to be one of the very first. Enjoy: