Better Call Saul: Season 4

/dev/null

1.  Was Gus’s demeanour on the phone and isolation meant as a slight impersonation of President Obama?

2.  All attempts to run a Foundation and Scholarship panel since George Constanza’s efforts for Susan are a running joke, right?

3.  Was waiting for Werner to unleash knives from his cuff links like Olivier did in Marathon Man

4.  Good to get Chuck’s real letter out there and for Jimmy to mourn suddenly like Roger Sterling did for his mother when the shoeshine box man bequeathed his shine box to Roger

5.  s’all good man. ? 

53 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

This could be the first episode in a while that I'll want to watch again.

Where does it go from here ?  Lalo is annoying

We won’t mourn Lalo’s passing, great character though!!!!

Awesome episode.  The look on Kim's face when she realized Jimmy was acting was priceless.

The Werner/Mike "isn't there another way?" dialogue was eerily reminiscent of Walt's pleading in BB.  Now we know how Mike got that way and why Gus trusts him implicitly.

Next season the BB tie-ins should really start rolling in.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Awesome episode.  The look on Kim's face when she realized Jimmy was acting was priceless.

The Werner/Mike "isn't there another way?" dialogue was eerily reminiscent of Walt's pleading in BB.  Now we know how Mike got that way and why Gus trusts him implicitly.

The constant mention of Jimmy seeing a therapist along with the cold opening is what made me think his speech was genuine as it was just repressed emotions about Chuck's death coming out.  I should've known better especially after his speech to the kid shortly before that.  Great acting there.  There's still some time between when they meet the Breaking Bad timeline as there was no Kim and the meth lab was complete at the time of Breaking Bad.  We also have to see what becomes of Nacho and how he crosses paths with Jimmy.  A complaint of mine this season is that there were two separate story lines that didn't overlap.  My guess is they go two more seasons and the overlap will happen in season 6.

Mike basically mercy killing that German guy was hard to watch, but at least he saved his wife.  Fit perfectly with his character as it would've been easy for him to wait until Gus's goons to show up and kill him without notice.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I feel like it has one season left at this point.  Next season he gets his Saul operation up and running and Fring gets the lab up to pre-Heisenberg levels.  That does sound like it could be a lot of details, so maybe they get two seasons out of it.

The one thing that bugs me is that we have to wait a very long time to see who will be getting that post Breaking Bad phone call after Saul fled.  With the amount of time between seasons, I'll probably forget about by the time we get the next season.  It may just be the biggest loose thread out there at this point.

edit: And the Werner scene was tough to watch.  The stuff he had to say to his wife knowing that those were his last words to her, that was rough.

Edited by shrader

Great episode last night. It was sad to see the final scene with Jimmy and Kim as their split seems inevitable. Seems everytime Jimmy tried doing the right thing, it didn't work for him (when Chuck turned him down in the previous seasons and when Jimmy was sincere at his hearing and was told he wasn't sincere enough), so he's sticking with "Slippin' Jimmy" who we all know as Saul Goodman. 

Mike liked Werner and did everything he could for him (let him talk to his wife, tried pleading with Gus for him), so you could tell it was very hard for him to dispose of Werner. But by doing that, Mike has proved his worth to Gus. I'm interested in seeing what Gus and Mike have in store for Lalo. I like the gum bomb Mike used and Lalo's reaction to it. 

I'm also curious as to what happens with Gene. Last we saw of him was the taxi cab ride from the hospital. 

Any idea when season 5 is suppose to come out?

MIke's too soft deep down for this kind of work.  He blew it big time letting Lalo trail him 100%.

They start shooting in April 2019 and release is guessed from August to the end of 2019 according to all the sources...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Great episode last night. It was sad to see the final scene with Jimmy and Kim as their split seems inevitable. Seems everytime Jimmy tried doing the right thing, it didn't work for him (when Chuck turned him down in the previous seasons and when Jimmy was sincere at his hearing and was told he wasn't sincere enough), so he's sticking with "Slippin' Jimmy" who we all know as Saul Goodman. 

Mike liked Werner and did everything he could for him (let him talk to his wife, tried pleading with Gus for him), so you could tell it was very hard for him to dispose of Werner. But by doing that, Mike has proved his worth to Gus. I'm interested in seeing what Gus and Mike have in store for Lalo. I like the gum bomb Mike used and Lalo's reaction to it. 

I'm also curious as to what happens with Gene. Last we saw of him was the taxi cab ride from the hospital. 

Any idea when season 5 is suppose to come out?

That to me is a small flaw in the show. You would think a move like Lalo made would get the attention of police, not to mention what I assumed happened to the kid behind the counter.  The trick to being a gangster is not to draw attention.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I feel like it has one season left at this point.  Next season he gets his Saul operation up and running and Fring gets the lab up to pre-Heisenberg levels.  That does sound like it could be a lot of details, so maybe they get two seasons out of it.

The one thing that bugs me is that we have to wait a very long time to see who will be getting that post Breaking Bad phone call after Saul fled.  With the amount of time between seasons, I'll probably forget about by the time we get the next season.  It may just be the biggest loose thread out there at this point.

edit: And the Werner scene was tough to watch.  The stuff he had to say to his wife knowing that those were his last words to her, that was rough.

I also expect more of present day Gene in Omaha and how that works itself out. Maybe a Kim reunion?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That to me is a small flaw in the show. You would think a move like Lalo made would get the attention of police, not to mention what I assumed happened to the kid behind the counter.  The trick to being a gangster is not to draw attention.

he made sure to stop and pause right there so everyone could see his car and license plate

he will flame out brilliantly

45 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I also expect more of present day Gene in Omaha and how that works itself out. Maybe a Kim reunion?

Agreed. Plus, with having a nice, classic car, you would think Lalo would not want to smash it up. 

I'm curious to see if Gene's cover has been blown (with the taxi cab driver being from N.M.). 

16 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Agreed. Plus, with having a nice, classic car, you would think Lalo would not want to smash it up. 

I'm curious to see if Gene's cover has been blown (with the taxi cab driver being from N.M.). 

Tuco didn't take kindly to Mike dinging his classic car

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Wonder how long Tuco is in jail for? Will we see him again by the end of the series?

i think we are 4-5 years away from the start of Breaking Bad....

Tuco won't find it funny when he realizes Mike was a plant by.... Gus???....

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i think we are 4-5 years away from the start of Breaking Bad....

Tuco won't find it funny when he realizes Mike was a plant by.... Gus???....

Did they ever actually say when Breaking Bad took place?  I know an episode or two ago they showed a ton of paperwork from either Jimmy or Kim that said 2004.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

Did they ever actually say when Breaking Bad took place?  I know an episode or two ago they showed a ton of paperwork from either Jimmy or Kim that said 2004.

Not sure.  Some of the "experts" noted that when they bumped ahead 8 months a few episodes ago they were within 5 years of BB.

I tend not to get emotionally wrapped up in shows and movies, so I didn't really buy Jimmy's final D speech; I guess I must be one of the handful of people who didn't by the looks of things in reviews and reactions. 

He had his little time of honest mourning for Chuck in the car, mixed with realizing he was talking about himself to the shoplifting student.  Her gnome-print dress was a nice touch for the occasion...

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I tend not to get emotionally wrapped up in shows and movies, so I didn't really buy Jimmy's final D speech; I guess I must be one of the handful of people who didn't by the looks of things in reviews and reactions. 

He had his little time of honest mourning for Chuck in the car, mixed with realizing he was talking about himself to the shoplifting student.  Her gnome-print dress was a nice touch for the occasion...

At first, I wasn't sure if Jimmy was being sincere or if he was acting, but it turns out he was acting. Kim seemed so happy for Jimmy during his speech to the panel, but that all was taken away as soon as Jimmy said "I fooled them all." 

I liked that scene with the student. Jimmy is the type that he wants to give a person a second chance and roots for that person to do well, as that was him throughout his life. When he tries to do the right thing and it doesn't work out, he gets easily discouraged and reverts back to Slippin' Jimmy.

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not sure.  Some of the "experts" noted that when they bumped ahead 8 months a few episodes ago they were within 5 years of BB.

The only thing I can ever think of that shows the passage of time in Breaking Bad was the birthday bacon.  Now if only someone with incredible eyes had somehow caught a glimpse of Walt's DOB on his license or something.

Edited by shrader