WR Cam Phillips #5 - UDFA Virginia Tech

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

How does Foster look? I read he is playing gunner with first unit.

I've read he is one of the more impressive rookies in camp.  Would be fantastic if Foster and Phillips can become factors in this offense, even as quality depth.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Drafting WRs should be easy then, just look for the next big fast guy like Roy Williams. I was going to make a Matt Millen joke but didn’t realize he was in bad health. 

Foster didn’t have good production in college. He also didn’t have a QB who was a passer and played on a team with a loaded roster.

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I've read he is one of the more impressive rookies in camp.  Would be fantastic if Foster and Phillips can become factors in this offense, even as quality depth.  

Hope they are both studs.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Foster didn’t have good production in college. He also didn’t have a QB who was a passer and played on a team with a loaded roster.

Hope they are both studs.

It's WAAAAAYYYYY to early, but I can't help it.  I'm excited about this draft class, both the drafted and UDFA guys.  

How has Levi Wallace looked during camp?  Was happy we got him, as we need some DB depth.  

3) Cam Phillips keeps making plays

- Despite one uncharacteristic drop in the middle of practice on Thursday, undrafted rookie wide receiver Cam Phillips continue his strong training camp with another huge day. Phillips set the tone early with the best reception of the day -- when Josh Allen unleashed a fastball from about 10 yards out to the back middle of the end zone intended for Phillips. The wideout had a defender draped all over him, showed strength on the ball and brought in the reception against all the odds. He doubled up on the success to end practice too. Allen fired it to the same spot and the same target, Phillips, and the rookie made another brilliant play on a perfectly thrown pass from a short distance. Whenever a wide receiver can complete the play the way that Phillips has been doing consistently through training camp, it usually begs a further look from the coaching staff to see if they can do it against some better competition. I would not be surprised if Phillips gets bumped up to work with the second-team offense before too long because he is significantly outplaying the rookie trio of Robert Foster, Ray-Ray McCloud, and Austin Proehl. 

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-7

Edited by BillsFanForever19

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

3) Cam Phillips keeps making plays

- Despite one uncharacteristic drop in the middle of practice on Thursday, undrafted rookie wide receiver Cam Phillips continue his strong training camp with another huge day. Phillips set the tone early with the best reception of the day -- when Josh Allen unleashed a fastball from about 10 yards out to the back middle of the end zone intended for Phillips. The wideout had a defender draped all over him, showed strength on the ball and brought in the reception against all the odds. He doubled up on the success to end practice too. Allen fired it to the same spot and the same target, Phillips, and the rookie made another brilliant play on a perfectly thrown pass from a short distance. Whenever a wide receiver can complete the play the way that Phillips has been doing consistently through training camp, it usually begs a further look from the coaching staff to see if they can do it against some better competition. I would not be surprised if Phillips gets bumped up to work with the second-team offense before too long because he is significantly outplaying the rookie trio of Robert Foster, Ray-Ray McCloud, and Austin Proehl. 

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-7

He also doesn’t play special teams while Foster is playing gunner with the first unit. He can return punts and kickoffs too.

Edited by Sky Diver

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He also doesn’t play special teams while Foster is playing gunner with the first unit.

He also has you as his personal nut hugger. 

Cam Phillips is making plays.    Maybe one day Foster will too 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

He was a 3* recruit out of HS. 434 National Rank and 58 WR Rank.

Foster was a 5* recruit. 23 National Rank and 2 WR Rank.

Foster is more gifted and has higher upside than Phillips. Plus he plays special teams. 

Foster is bigger and faster too.

I don't see Phillips beating Foster out.

Foster underperformed in college, and apparently isn't drawing too much attention so far at camp. Don't get me wrong, I understand the potential, but Bama fans had to be frustrated seeing this guy essentially flame out during the past four years.

Phillips performed at VA Tech, becoming their all-time leading receiver. He is drawing attention in camp thus far. I'd say he has a good shot at beating out Foster. We'll see how they play in another week.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sky Diver said:

He also doesn’t play special teams while Foster is playing gunner with the first unit.

Funny, I don't recall making a Robert Foster thread...

I'm just reporting what i've seen and what i've been hearing. Maybe Foster will make it and Phillips won't. Maybe it will be vice versa. 

But on the practice field, the kid keeps making plays. And it's worth recognizing right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Funny, I don't recall making a Robert Foster thread...

I'm just reporting what i've seen and what i've been hearing. Maybe Foster will make it and Phillips won't. Maybe it will be vice versa. 

But on the practice field, the kid keeps making plays. And it's worth recognizing right now.

Both are UDFAs so it’s a natural comparison.

13 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Foster underperformed in college, and apparently isn't drawing too much attention so far at camp. Don't get me wrong, I understand the potential, but Bama fans had to be frustrated seeing this guy essentially flame out during the past four years.

Phillips performed at VA Tech, becoming their all-time leading receiver. He is drawing attention in camp thus far. I'd say he has a good shot at beating out Foster. We'll see how they play in another week.

4.79 40 at the combine. Ouch. 

15 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Daboll must know something because he brought Foster in.

30 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Isn’t Zay Jones one of the all time leading receivers in college history?

I’m not against Phillips, but he seems like a long shot based on his size and speed and the fact that he doesn’t play special teams. I get the underdog thing though. I’m rooting for him.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Isn’t Zay Jones one of the all time leading receivers in college history?

Actually, you look at the all-time leading NCAA receivers, you have to go down to #64 to see a guy who made somewhat of a name in the NFL, Greg Jennings. I'm just saying I'd like to see a player who has accomplished something in college, period, if you want to talk about potential. Foster did nothing to separate himself from Jeudy and Ruggs at Bama as a #2.

So we're writing off Zay Jones? OK. 

I'd equate Phillips to Josh Reed, won't be a #1, but he'll be a contributor. Foster 14 catches in 10 games as a Senior. Ouch. He better open some eyes quick, or he'll be PS material, even with another Bama boy throwing to him.

9 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Actually, you look at the all-time leading NCAA receivers, you have to go down to #64 to see a guy who made somewhat of a name in the NFL, Greg Jennings. I'm just saying I'd like to see a player who has accomplished something in college, period, if you want to talk about potential. Foster did nothing to separate himself from Jeudy and Ruggs at Bama as a #2.

So we're writing off Zay Jones? OK. 

I'd equate Phillips to Josh Reed, won't be a #1, but he'll be a contributor. Foster 14 catches in 10 games as a Senior. Ouch. He better open some eyes quick, or he'll be PS material, even with another Bama boy throwing to him.

The jury is still out on Jones. The point is college production doesn't necessarily relate to NFL production.

Ridley was the go to guy and he took touches away from the other receivers..

Foster seems to be making his mark on special teams. How many 6th or 7th WRs can't play special teams?

Edited by Sky Diver

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Foster seems to be making his mark on special teams. How many 6th or 7th WRs can't play special teams?

He's had some work gunning. But just because he was practicing there doesn't mean he has the job. Lots of guys are practicing in lots of places. I've yet to read that Foster is blowing anyone away at anything yet. "Making his mark" is a little much at this point.

On the flip side, Cam Phillips has been making tons of plays. And as such - I created a thread about him. It's extremely early in the process. But if you've been to camp (or can read what the writers are writing), Phillips is outperforming every Rookie WR, at this point. Foster included.

I realize you're an Alabama fan and you want your dude to do well. But let's not ignore what Phillips has done because of it.

• Like (+1) 3

I find it interesting that EVERY YEAR, there is at least one (and often 2 or more) UDFA WR's making noise in camp and pre-season.  This goes back for many years.  Rarely do the make the team and rarely are they ever heard from again.  You don't see this at other positions very often.  The only recent ones that come to mind are the DT Cohen a couple of years ago, who didn't make the team, and Eddie Yarborough, who (blowing my theory) did.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's had some work gunning. But just because he was practicing there doesn't mean he has the job. Lots of guys are practicing in lots of places. I've yet to read that Foster is blowing anyone away at anything yet. "Making his mark" is a little much at this point.

On the flip side, Cam Phillips has been making tons of plays. And as such - I created a thread about him. It's extremely early in the process. But if you've been to camp (or can read what the writers are writing), Phillips is outperforming every Rookie WR, at this point. Foster included.

I realize you're an Alabama fan and you want your dude to do well. But let's not ignore what Phillips has done because of it.

Hopefully he keeps up his good play in practice and it translates to games. Looking forward to watching him.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Foster did nothing to separate himself from Jeudy and Ruggs at Bama as a #2.

Do you think that the above is an easy thing to do? Both of those kids might be great, and I heard that Devonta Smith is pretty decent too but I'm not sure.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do you think that the above is an easy thing to do? Both of those kids might be great, and I heard that Devonta Smith is pretty decent too but I'm not sure.

It's impossible to watch this catch by Devonta Smith too many times. :)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It's impossible to watch this catch by Devonta Smith too many times. :)

So true. I watched it this morning before work lol!

Imo, the Bama receiving corps will be much improved despite the loss of Ridley.

In terms of Foster, I understand the skepticism of some Bills Fans. The numbers weren't there and Ridley was almost always open. And as you know, Hurts was having problems. I think Foster will be a pleasant surprise to Bills fans.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

He also doesn’t play special teams while Foster is playing gunner with the first unit. He can return punts and kickoffs too.

Because he hasn’t been axed to play special teams does not mean that he cannot play special teams. It’s really not that difficult, nothing special really.