DR Goes Camping (Practice #6 Report)

17 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

For the record, McCarron took 5 sacks today. Peterman 3, and Allen 3. Our. Oline is a work in progress,behind our D

Or maybe our defense/DL are pretty good , 

Or maybe a little bit of both ?

8 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He did. He definitely wasn't perfect. But so did everyone in the group. There was a stretch of five minutes or so (against air) where every ball was bouncing off their hands. 

Any idea why?  I found that section of your (much appreciated!) report very hard to read, especially the stuff about Benjamin.

9 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

After Practice Report - General Thoughts:

The WRs:

This group tried to scare me early with major dropsies and miscommunication during the opening session. Against air they were dropping more balls than should happen at this level. I've long been harsh on KB's stone hands, but they popped up several times today. The guy dominated some plays then looked brutal on others. He needs to be consistent for this group to have any real chance. Kerley was better than I expected, consistent and fluid. Holmes was a non factor for me today, but Foster was drawing my eye whenever he was in a drill.

Great report, Rhino, thanks so much!

I agree, from Astro and others as well - there should NOT be this many drops from professional WR on an NFL team.  I hope Daboll or the WR coach light into them and get this turned around, pronto.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Sounds like KW is having himself a practice... lots of sacks, which also means Ducasse is having a horrible practice.

That’s the problem this time of your. If the D is good....”the O sucks”! And vice versa.....

The best possible news is nobody gets hurt! That’s my primary goal every day. Pretty sad, I know. 

13 hours ago, stevewin said:

Didn't see this thread initially - re-posting some of my random observations from today here:

Went to camp today.  Didn't spend a ton of effort trying to focus on anything/everything - just a few general observations

- Tremaine Edmunds is huge.  I mean like a giant.  When the defense is lined up it is as if you are playing Madden and there some kind of new setting (GIANT) that makes a player blow up cartoonishly to twice the size of everyone else.  It's hard not to look out onto the field and notice him standing out every time.  It's like he's been CGI'ed onto the field.  Between my son and my Dad and myself, one of us must have pointed to him on the field and said "Look at him - he's huge!" at least 10 different times throughout the course of practice - even just standing next to people on the sideline.  It is crazy
His interception was a great moment.  A great play on the ball and he got mobbed by his D teammates celebrating just bonkers afterwards

- On the flip side - I was not prepared at all for how small Kerley was - like real small.  Honestly just seeing him today I felt I would be surprised if he ended up being any kind of impact player - but it was just one day.  Still couldn't get over how small he was - for some reason I thought he was a bigger body slot guy

- Foster just stood out to me for some reason - just looks the part of a real WR

- Zay was sprinting full speed width-wise across the field for a bit.  Didn't look limited at all - nothing on his knee.  He was being worked hard by the trainers - part of me wondered if they weren't unofficially giving him a little extra sauce for his transgressions

- This to me was definitely a practice where the old "defensive is ahead of the offense" was certainly true.  The defense dominated in my view - the offense could get nothing going regardless of the QB/group.  Offense looked pretty sloppy - rushed plays, dropped passes, only short gains when there were gains.  Again hard to gauge at this point what percentage is defense playing well vs. offense playing poor

EDIT: There was a portion of practice where the offense was running through plays with no defense (while the defense was on the other side of the field simulating getting lined up and back on the ball against a hurry-up offense).  At one point I also wondered if part of the issues of the offense today was that they maybe they went deeper into the playbook and were running some of the plays live for the first time.

Note also there was a portion where the defense purposely had two Dlinemen sit and not rush - and generally the offense still had problems completing passes in that drill

- At times the defense was imposing their will so badly I told my son the offense needs to just air some balls out just to get the D off them a bit.  One of Allen's last reps he went to throw a quick out and immediately faked it and pulled it in and took off the other way down the field untouched.  We weren't sure if that was a called play or he did it himself - but it was obvious the D was really selling out going downhill all the way for this practice

- None of the QBs looked great (see defense dominated bullet above), but AJ looked to me to be the most steady/consistent of the 3 today.  Mostly a lot of short stuff - but that is pretty much all anyone could muster against the D.  He just seemed in control.  Allen had the barely missed flea flicker, and seemed kind of off rhythm most of the day.  With the threes, you can see sometimes guys are not really helping him at all.  With the ones, it almost seemed he wasn't on the same page/comfort level most of the time - seems like with the lower reps with the ones he also has to battle the unfamiliarity of playing with them.  At times when Peterman throws he looks like he is heaving a soggy overripe watermelon.  When the QB's are throwing side by side it is amazing to see the difference between Allen's ball and Peterman's when they are together - at one point my son pointed over to the drill and remarked how much faster Allen's ball got there compared to Peterman's

- After practice the entire OL stayed on the field for a long time going through things.  The three QBs also stayed on the field - Allen and Peterman throwing and AJ frolicking with his toddler - and wife :).  Off on the far side practice field two lone players went off by themselves to hit the sled.  One was Mat Boesen - and he came back after a while.  There was another guy over there that at first I didn't pay attention to - but after a while every once in a while I would look over and it was ridiculous he was still over there by himself just punishing a sled over and over - and I looked closer and saw his number was twenty something and I'm like wait - is that a friggin DB?  It was number 21 in your programs.  Poyer must have been over there by himself for a good 15 minutes just launching himself into a sled.  After a bit, Siran Neal went over to join him - then they eventually quit.  Seeing Poyer do that today really stuck with me - the guy was just killing it after a full practice - punishing his body off on a side field mostly by himself where no one could see it (it wasn't for show).  It was pretty impressive

- My son positioned himself above the tunnel after practice, and when Beane walked out my son yelled "UNCW!" (Beane's alma mater and where my son went to school the last two years - actually my son met him there this Spring) and Beane immediately looked up and my son tossed him his hat and Beane signed and threw it back.  My son then yelled "Go Seahawks!" which Beane smiled at, but earned my son some quizzical stares from those around him in the crowd (UNCW Seahawks!) He also got Proehl to sign after tossing it to him - my daughter goes to UNC and now my son has a hat with Bills UNC/UNCW related sigs :thumbsup:

- There was a group of 20-somethings trolling Rodak after practice - they kept shouting his name across the field as the press was gathered for on field interviews - "RODAK!" - "I know you can hear me!" - and maybe threw a "Patriot lover!" or two in there.  It was pretty awkward/funny

- There was a female fan in the stands with a sign screaming for Poyer after practice.  He was off on the other field after practice as I said, but as things were really winding down, out of nowhere Poyer came out of the tunnel with his shirt off - looking for the lady - someone must have said something to him about her.  He jumped up on the rail and gave her a shirtless hug and took a pic with her.  Was a very cool moment. 

Edited 1 hour ago by stevewin  

The part about Poyer after practice going off on the sled, intentionally not trying to show off and trying to do it in relative private was my biggest takeaway and makes me feel very good about the culture here.