Heading to WNY........

Chef Jim

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... Water was nice... Pretty high for summer... Upper Falls were roaring.  Didn't get to visit dam in Mount Morris this time.  Maybe I will piss you off and see if the Corps has a job opening there. That way I can always be on hand for your visits.?

Thanks for the advice!  We passed that place in Perry last Tuesday... 

Got to get down to Upper Falls to see the new rail trestle before fall.  

15 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Got to get down to Upper Falls to see the new rail trestle before fall.  

My father worked on Erie-Lack RR... He used to cross that trestle.  Scared the schiest out of him... Even know he claimed to have gorged dived the Lower Falls from the rock back in 1950s... But that was before his Iron Bridge (Marilla, straight out Clinton) accident @ 18 years old.  I suppose he was scared by the time he would cross the trestle later in life!

I noticed it... New trestle looks very nice.  Probaly not scary anymore with a more closed bottom structure... From what I remember the old one as a youth.  New one looks at least modern.  Abutments, etc... Safety...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My father worked on Erie-Lack RR... He used to cross that trestle.  Scared the schiest out of him... Even know he claimed to have gorged dived the Lower Falls from the rock back in 1950s... But that was before his Iron Bridge (Marilla, straight out Clinton) accident @ 18 years old.  I suppose he was scared by the time he would cross the trestle later in life!

I noticed it... New trestle looks very nice.  Probaly not scary anymore with a more closed bottom structure... From what I remember the old one as a youth.  New one looks at least modern.  Abutments, etc... Safety...

My understanding is cars breaking couplers is not a rare occurrence and often had to be fixed where they broke.  It would suck to have to fix one half way out on the old bridge especially if you did not like high places.

• Like (+1) 1

I really like WNY, having grown up there, but it is what it is, a place with really non-competitive weather.

Sometimes it takes a kid to make an observation that is so clear it is really neat.

I used to visit family there every year. One year, the year my oldest was learning about the solar system and earth's play in it, we were visiting in late October.

We were walking around somewhere and there was a broken layer of clouds quite low, maybe about 800', and it was very windy.

The clouds were just whistling by.

Anyway, he looks up at me and says,"You know why I like visiting Buffalo so much?"

Of course I thought it was visiting relatives and food, which he loved, but he said; "It's because it's the only place you can see the earth spinning."

I looked up at the clouds speeding by and I knew exactly what he ws thinking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

My understanding is cars breaking couplers is not a rare occurrence and often had to be fixed where they broke.  It would suck to have to fix one half way out on the old bridge especially if you did not like high places.

He was a switchman... Conductor, freight... 

He'd dead head out as far as Hornell... Grab a nap in a shanty along the road somewhere on that line... Usually around Letch, Mt.Morris... Then jump back on a freight back to BFLo... One of my memories as a child was picking him up @ BFLo Yard  (Union in Cheektowaga)... Going "bumpty bumpty" over all the tracks as My mother drove the '68 Plymouth Valiant to pick him up in the morning from work.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He was a switchman... Conductor, freight... 

He'd dead head out as far as Hornell... Grab a nap in a shanty along the road somewhere on that line... Usually around Letch, Mt.Morris... Then jump back on a freight back to BFLo... One of my memories as a child was picking him up @ BFLo Yard  (Union in Cheektowaga)... Going "bumpty bumpty" over all the tracks as My mother drove the '68 Plymouth Valiant to pick him up in the morning from work.

'68 Plymouth Valiant.  The sound from a slant 6 Chrysler engine is one I have not heard for decades.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

'68 Plymouth Valiant.  The sound from a slant 6 Chrysler engine is one I have not heard for decades.

LoL... Slant 6... I was still a youngin... But we were a "Valiant Familia"... LoL.  Tan convertible one... Rag held together with Free stickers from McDonald's, white one,  blue one... Transmission met it's maker when it dropped on my grandmother's driveway... As always with Chrysler products. Ha!

The downward car spiral started when my parents got rid of their early '60s Chevy convertible.  My grandmother said she hated that Chevy... But loved it over the damn Chryslers/Plymouths (for obvious reasons).

Good (as well as the 1970s vehicles would allow) fortune would return when my father returned to the GM line with the 1973 Impala wagon... Boy thinking about, not many years separated those vehicles... All crapped the bed soon, beaters.  Like 5 year "rust through" warranty was a huge selling point. That '73 lost a gas tank (bands broke) in '75 on way to Kinzua in PA... LoL... 

We've come a long way... Rent/borrow a good car Jim! ?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My cousin lived on the road right next to that Iron Bridge, It was right on Clinton, just before the county line.  He said in the later 70s they dredged out  the creek bottom  there and also   made it so there was no access down the banks,. There was a deep pool in the creek, but right next to it was a ledge only a few feet under the water. I think the last kids killed diving there were in the early 70s.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Wacka said:

My cousin lived on the road right next to that Iron Bridge, It was right on Clinton, just before the county line.  He said in the later 70s they dredged out  the creek bottom  there and also   made it so there was no access down the banks,. There was a deep pool in the creek, but right next to it was a ledge only a few feet under the water. I think the last kids killed diving there were in the early 70s.

My father fell on Memorial Day... Early 1950s... @ 18.  He said, atop that bridge, you'd have to throw yourself off into the hole... Did it many times.  Somebody (of course a chick... It's ALWAYS a chick...He he) shouted his name... He stumbled and fell into 3 feet of water, shattering his left elbow. Friends sped him back up Clinton in the back of the car...

Gangrene set in... Water was polluted back then.  He is allergic to penicillin... They wanted to amputate... Grandmother said no... Nursed him back to health... He was inducted into the Army on Labor Day!  Wow!

Of course my grandmother said it was because she told him not to go before they blessed the water... LoL...

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Next week for my niece's wedding.  Just thought I'd let you all know.  

And no I don't..............

Wonderful news!

Have a great time!

Safe travels too! ?

Thank you for your heads up!

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Thanks for the advice but I don’t need any advice. Especially regarding architecture.  For those of you that don’t know I’m the lead architect for Vandelay Industries. 

Whew that was a close one. Planning on Letchworth Friday. Mainly for a tour of East Hill Creamery in Perry. Figured I’d hit Letchworth at the same time.  BTW their cheese looks good. 

http://www.easthillcreamery.com/

Premier Gourmet locations in Buffalo has one of the most complete cheese selections but you don't need that advice.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife would have loved it.  My bankbook not so much.  But we know who wears the pants.

But... Site has been bookmarked! I am a gluten for punishment.  Will pitch stopping there next time... Look like a hero.

Went to Glen Iris Inn for lunch on Tuesday.  One old guy comes in and looks @ menu, checks it out... And signals: "Not bad [price I assume] to his wife."  You gotta be kidding... We gotta out of there under 70 bucks for my wife, daughter, and myself.  Very, very cheap... 

The creamery can't be that bad... It's in country, sticks... Couple hundro we spend heading back from Wisconsin @ some cheesy touristtourist trap... At least we'd be getting good artisan stuff...

The Home Opener vs the Jets on that Thursday night I had the privilege of having lunch at The Glen Irish Inn a few days before the game. One lovely experience.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We have pretty much cut out the "wedding" visits.  They never last, so what's the big deal??  Now we just make the funerals.  There's more certainty there, and usually a better bar.

I must say that at my sister’s wedding 40+ years ago, the priest could talk about nothing more than the virtual certainty that the marriage would not last. They may have stayed married just to prove him wrong. 

When I go, I want a merry old festival with a big open bar and lots and lots of laughing. All this sadness crap is a waste of negative emotion. We all go....eventually. Celebrate the life that was. 

Edited by Augie

21 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

With all the dairy in WNY I have no idea why it’s not flooded with artisinal cheesemakers. I’ve considered it but a too much hard work at the point in my life. My cousin’s ex-husband’s step sons (how’s that for the conjugation of the family tree) run First Light Creamery in Bethany. They are predominately goat cheese while East Hill is 100% cow. 

They are trying to get the Finger Lakes known for more than just wine. There is a Cheese Trail now.

http://fingerlakestrails.com/finger-lakes-cheese-trail/