What will Daboll's offense look like?

21 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Would like to see more creativity that takes advantage of Tyrod's legs/running ability; also need to find ways to get Spiller the ball in space. 

....so this is PAST TENSE then?........perhaps some Roscoe..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On 7/19/2018 at 9:46 AM, Bangarang said:

Run, run, low percentage pass, punt

possibly not in that order.

Pretty much this since it's about all that he'll have the talent on the field to do. 

On 7/19/2018 at 5:31 PM, Augie said:

Actually, coming in around 20-25 in offense wouldn’t surprise me. It’s hard to be worst....

Why?  Aside from McCoy, Clay, Benjamin, and maybe Dawkins, what other offensive players would make most NFL teams except as backups?  The reality is that the Bills easily have one of the worst offensive talent levels in the entire NFL, so  28-32 is probably much more realistic.

36 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Pretty much this since it's about all that he'll have the talent on the field to do. 

Why?  Aside from McCoy, Clay, Benjamin, and maybe Dawkins, what other offensive players would make most NFL teams except as backups?  The reality is that the Bills easily have one of the worst offensive talent levels in the entire NFL, so  28-32 is probably much more realistic.

Considering Bodine has been a starter for four straight years in Cinci, I would list him (not saying he is a world beater, but has never NOT been a starter in the NFL). Zay Jones should not be discounted, he had a tough rookie season due to the space between his head...but I think he could crack "starter snaps" on some NFL teams for sure, not saying he would be a top two, but I think he can be competent. Kerley has been a slot starter for much of his career. Ivory has been a starter, at least shared carries throughout his career. We have no clue what we have in Allen at QB.

I am not saying we will be even close to the best offense in the NFL, but having half of your players as starter level across the NFL isn't NOTHING. We have question marks, so does more than half of the league. 

And bottom line, really good coordinators can mask deficiencies and help pull out the best of players talent. Track record isn't awesome for Daboll in that regard, but hopefully he has learned a thing or two over the past five seasons and we will see a different, more seasoned coordinator. My two cents.

33 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

And bottom line, really good coordinators can mask deficiencies and help pull out the best of players talent. Track record isn't awesome for Daboll in that regard, but hopefully he has learned a thing or two over the past five seasons and we will see a different, more seasoned coordinator. My two cents.

You've put your finger on the real question IMO.

In 2011, Gailey managed to put together a 14th in the league offense with Fitz at QB, Johnson Nelson and Chandler as targets.  So right on, good coordinators can pull out the best their players have to give.

That isn't Daboll's track record.  Has he learned something?  Or hasn't he?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You've put your finger on the real question IMO.

In 2011, Gailey managed to put together a 14th in the league offense with Fitz at QB, Johnson Nelson and Chandler as targets.  So right on, good coordinators can pull out the best their players have to give.

That isn't Daboll's track record.  Has he learned something?  Or hasn't he?

What track record are you referring to? If is the the 2009 and 2010 Browns. he had a horrible roster.

2009 Browns

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

2010 Browns

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

What track record are you referring to? If is the the 2009 and 2010 Browns. he had a horrible roster.

2009 Browns

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

2010 Browns

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Daboll had bad offenses in cleveland, had the 20th ranked offense the next season as OC in Miami, and then a putrid offense in KC  the year after that. Regardless of players (and the point we were talking about) a good OC can pull something out of them with coaching/system...so we are stuck with this question: Can Daboll do that? His track record of bad NFL offenses is not inspiring, but I am not sold on whether he can do that or not, but that will be KEY with how our offense performs this season - hence, has he learned anything since his last stint as an NFL OC? Based on who he has spent those years coaching with, I am betting he HAS and we will be impressed. 

12 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The topic is coaches who elevate the talent on their roster and get the very best out of it.

Daboll has a track record of 4 years OC in the NFL:

2009, 2010 Browns

2011 Dolphins

2012 Chiefs

No one could say he was handed the keys to a Ferrari in any of those positions. 

The question is, did he get the best out of the talent he had?  DId he elevate it?  The only case where one might make that argument is the Dolphins.

The rest, you can't say he had top-notch talent, but you can't say he got their best years out of them, either.

That's his track record in the NFL as an OC.  The question is, has he learned something in the last 5 years as a position coach and a college OC, or hasn't he?  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Daboll had bad offenses in cleveland, had the 20th ranked offense the next season as OC in Miami, and then a putrid offense in KC  the year after that. Regardless of players (and the point we were talking about) a good OC can pull something out of them with coaching/system...so we are stuck with this question: Can Daboll do that? His track record of bad NFL offenses is not inspiring, but I am not sold on whether he can do that or not, but that will be KEY with how our offense performs this season - hence, has he learned anything since his last stint as an NFL OC? Based on who he has spent those years coaching with, I am betting he HAS and we will be impressed. 

You need some modicum of talent. 

He took Miami from 30th offense to 20th.

Saban hired him. He can't be too bad.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The topic is coaches who elevate the talent on their roster and get the very best out of it.

2009, 2010 Browns

2011 Dolphins

2012 Chiefs

The question is, did he get the best out of the talent he had?  DId he elevate it?  The only case where one might make that argument is the Dolphins.

The rest, you can't say he had top-notch talent, but you can't say he got their best years out of them, either.

That's his track record in the NFL as an OC.  The question is, has he learned something in the last 5 years as a position coach and a college OC, or hasn't he?  Time will tell.

Who knows. Maybe he sucks and we hired a loser. That seems to be what you are implying, unless I am misreading your sentiment. 

He's been hired by a lot of good coaches, including McDermott and they know more that we do. I choose to be optimistic.

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

no one is saying hes bad dude....read. Hapless and I are saying this: the real question this season is if Daboll is the type of OC who can get the most of his talent, regardless of what that talent is, because really good coordinators do seem to get the most out of their players. Daboll's best offense has been ranked 20th overall. That isn't a good track record in 4 years of NFL experience. BUT SINCE THEN, he has likely gotten a chance to improve himself as a coach by working with the best coaches in the business, and that has gotten him another shot with the Bills...we are hoping it is enough improvement that he now CAN get the most out of his players, regardless of talent. 

We aren't trashing him dude, relax. We are just trying to intelligently discuss the chances of him having learned since his last, not so great, go arounds as an NFL OC. 

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

no one is saying hes bad dude....read. Hapless and I are saying this: the real question this season is if Daboll is the type of OC who can get the most of his talent, regardless of what that talent is, because really good coordinators do seem to get the most out of their players. Daboll's best offense has been ranked 20th overall. That isn't a good track record in 4 years of NFL experience. BUT SINCE THEN, he has likely gotten a chance to improve himself as a coach by working with the best coaches in the business, and that has gotten him another shot with the Bills...we are hoping it is enough improvement that he now CAN get the most out of his players, regardless of talent. 

We aren't trashing him dude, relax. We are just trying to intelligently discuss the chances of him having learned since his last, not so great, go arounds as an NFL OC. 

Unless you have a crystal ball and can predict the future, I don't see where we are heading with the discussion.

I am relaxed, dude and I added a highly intelligent comment. Maybe you missed it, dude.

"He's been hired by a lot of good coaches, including McDermott and they know more that we do. I choose to be optimistic."

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Who knows. Maybe he sucks and we hired a loser. That seems to be what you are implying, unless I am misreading your sentiment. 

He's been hired by a lot of good coaches, including McDermott and they know more that we do. I choose to be optimistic.

Try to keep up, Diver.

The statements I have that you need to interpret are "So right on, good coordinators can pull out the best their players have to give.  That isn't Daboll's track record.  Has he learned something?  Or hasn't he?" and "The question is, did he get the best out of the talent he had?  DId he elevate it?  The only case where one might make that argument is the Dolphins.

The rest, you can't say he had top-notch talent, but you can't say he got their best years out of them, either."

To turn that into "he sucks and we hired a loser" is such a gimondulous stretch that I'm concerned about the health and integrity of your hamstrings. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Unless you have a crystal ball and can predict the future, I don't see where we are heading with the discussion.

I am relaxed, dude and I added a highly intelligent comment. Maybe you missed it, dude.

"He's been hired by a lot of good coaches, including McDermott and they know more that we do. I choose to be optimistic."

I don't think either Hapless or myself are not choosing to be optimistic. We were discussing what needs to happen in order to predict what Dabolls offense will look like (the thread purpose). If he hasn't improved as an OC since his last go round in the NFL, we will be looking at a bottom feeder offense, as his other NFL offenses have been. If he has learned and improved (great chance at that, who isn't better at their job now than they were 8 years ago? who wouldn't get better coaching along side two of the greatest coaches to ever live?) then he will know what he has to do to get the most out of his players and his offense, and we will be pleasantly surprised with what we see him from offense. 

Will be an exciting year hopefully if its the latter. 

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2009, 2010 Browns

2011 Dolphins

2012 Chiefs

Sadly, each of those teams was bad for a year or two before Daboll came in. The only team to improve when he came in was the dolphins. It's a lot of wait and see and guesswork at this point but I have a feeling our offense will be atrocious this year. Here is hoping I am wrong :)

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life