What will Daboll's offense look like?

Key questions not addressed (I see where the article came from, not to be expected there):

1) Will Daboll start out with the 100-different-plays-a-week that McCoy/Roman were reputed to expect the players to learn each week?

With young, inexperienced QBs and new players/shifting about on OL, not the best move

2)  How has Daboll changed/what has he learned since his last stint as OC that might alter his success?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/no-9-what-should-be-expected-from-brian-daboll-s-offense

At this point, it's hard to say what his offense will look like, but it will likely be a departure from Dennison's west-coast scheme. There will be some college flavor in there, it's hard to imagine a new NFL OC isn't watching the approach guys like Andy Reid and Sean McVey have taken.

My hope is that he waits to formulate the bulk of his offense AFTER he sees what his talent looks like in camp.  His starting receivers are likely KB and Streater,  with Zay and Kerley slot/4th Wr.  He doesn't even know his day 1 qb at this point, nor how his Oline is going to look.  With that in mind, this an ultra challenging task for this relatively young dude, and I hope he uses his youth to his advantage and remains open minded about structuring the playbook.   

Too many times, on both sides of the ball we've seen new coordinators come in and try to force their own system in because it worked with their previous team's personnel.   Just last year we saw Rico take away Tyrod's long ball because he wanted to run things differently, Rex hurt our defense in the same way when he came in.   Daboll would be wise to see how his troops fight best before he formulates his battle plans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, eball said:

I read elsewhere that it will be a version of the Erhardt-Perkins offense.

That just means it could be anything from what the Giants used to run under Kevin Gilbride, to what the Patriots and KC used to run under Charlie Weis, to Chan Gailey.

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

(...)

My hope is that he waits to formulate the bulk of his offense AFTER he sees what his talent looks like in camp.  (...)

Way too late.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, WMDman said:

RPOs, power runs, checkdowns in space to our slot receivers, force feeding clay/KB, screens to shady 

Reasonable guess.

Positive take from back at the time of the hiring:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/15/breaking-down-what-bills-can-expect-from-new-oc-brian-daboll/

Negative take from back at the time of the hiring:

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/01/15/brian-daboll-somehow-able-find-meaningful-nfl-work-2018/

Cover1 on the guy:

https://www.cover1.net/offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-could-bridge-the-college-and-nfl-game-in-buffalo/

(have to register for this one)

https://www.cover1.net/home/offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I read elsewhere that it will be a version of the Erhardt-Perkins offense.

I agree.  However, my understanding of Erhardt-Perkins is that it is more of a system of organization of the offense and terminology than a specific collection of plays or a specific strategy/philosophy.  NE runs Erhardt-Perkins.  Sometimes they pass a lot to tight ends, sometimes to WRs, sometimes to RBs.  Sometimes they pass long, sometimes they pass short.  Sometimes they run the ball a lot.  Sometimes they run a quick paced offense.  Sometimes they run slow and deliberate.  Sometimes they'll vacillate between fast paced and deliberate.Erhardt -Perkins allows for all that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Key questions not addressed (I see where the article came from, not to be expected there):

1) Will Daboll start out with the 100-different-plays-a-week that McCoy/Roman were reputed to expect the players to learn each week?

With young, inexperienced QBs and new players/shifting about on OL, not the best move

2)  How has Daboll changed/what has he learned since his last stint as OC that might alter his success?

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/no-9-what-should-be-expected-from-brian-daboll-s-offense

He sat at the feet of the master last year, so he has learned a lot.

We saw what he did last year in the National Championship when he had a quarterback who could throw the ball.

Edited by Sky Diver

29 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He sat at the feet of the master last year, so he has learned a lot.

We saw what he did last year in the National Championship when he had a quarterback who could throw the ball.

It'll be nice having a coach who learned at the feet of the master instead of having a coach who was master of the feet. Looking at you Rexy!!!

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

My guess is Daboll's offense is going to push the envelope big time. Everything is going to be illusions, smoke and mirrors, pre-snap trickery, misdirection.  Nothing will be as it seems.  Also, lots and lots of flea flickers. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just hope the offense is as effective as it was under Roman.  Top 1/3 of the league in scoring coupled with a good D could go a long way.

I expect it to be run heavy ground and pound with safe passing.  Protect the football.  Extend drives more often.  Play good D and hope to score 20 will be process I believe.

Edited by reddogblitz

Based on his previous NFL OC stints, I think the only way to do this is to set your expectations incredibly low.

This way, if they have even a semblance of a passing attack we can all be blown away.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From what I've been able to gather so far, my understanding is that Daboll's offense is going to be different week to week and focused on match-ups rather than schemes.  Basically it's not trying to take the players that the Bills have and fit them into a system, so much as it's running plays based on the skills players have, and who's covering defensively.  This is essentially what the Patriots do.  They'll use a dozen different formations and essentially run the same play out of all of them, trying to work the weak links on defense.

• Like (+1) 2