Josh Allen coins #SabresMafia

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

"Yeah, mafia is all about organized crime. Why are people mad? It is not like we are asserting anything akin to organized war crime."

Potentially, there are some logical problems with your point.

On the other hand, maybe "sabres mafia" can be changed to "SS" for the "Sabres Squad!" 

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

"Yeah, mafia is all about organized crime. Why are people mad? It is not like we are asserting anything akin to organized war crime."

On the other hand, maybe "sabres mafia" can be changed to "SS" for the "Sabres Squad!" 

I have issues with both you guys bringing up Nazi in a conversation in fun.

The meaning of Mafia and it's original context was Family.
For better or for worse loyalty is implied.
 Thats the simple meaning of Bills Mafia perhaps ?

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Wait until he starts playing football.

NOPE I am gonna like him now.
 That is the good  part of life. Going to root for him as well.

Going to smile and cheer for him. even in TC. even if he reps with the 3s

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I have an issue with you being so sensitive about how I use the word "nazi." Folks like that are a cancer on society, as they do nothing for it and tend to stunt the growth of social evolution.

I also think you're full of poop in regards to the etymology of the word "mafia." Or, maybe it is wikipedia's fault you're full of dookie. 

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Whatever floats people’s boats... but it is clear that people that oppose “Bills mafia” are in the minority, as it has been accepted by the mainstream as being a term of endearment for the team and it’s fans, so some people can enjoy their lives being social justice warriors for a non issue imo....meanwhile I will enjoy being part of the Bills mafia ??

Edited by JaCrispy

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Whatever floats people’s boats... but it is clear that people that oppose “Bills mafia” are in the minority, as it has been accepted by the mainstream as being a term of endearment for the team and it’s fans, so some people can enjoy their lives being social justice warriors for a non issue imo....meanwhile I will enjoy being part of the Bills mafia ??

I have no problem with it, personally. I just thought your reasoning was funny. The connotation of words changes all the time.

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I brought up the word “nazi” To illustrate how silly it seemed for people to oppose the term “Bills mafia”- meaning there are much worse things to be offended at than a light hearted term that describes a portion of the fan base...not sure why you would take issue with that if you support the cause...just sayin.

On 6/22/2018 at 8:03 PM, CaptnCoke11 said:

NHL draft.. about as exciting as a root canal 

Root canals can be exciting.  A coworker had heart stop getting one sending at last minute to a install in Japan.  Fortunately dentists are trained to restart hearts but he was not allowed to fly for a week.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:32 PM, Gale Gilbert said:

Wow....creative

Almost as creative as using a ex-Bills player as an alias.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Not me.  I'll throw a large rock at Coach if he's repping with the 3s.

8 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

No offense but I find it so annoying when people complain about the term “mafia”...I just envision those people as the type to bring down a party or to ruin a good joke...Bills mafia, to me, is harmless fun, and it’s so bizarre when I find people getting so bent out of shape over it...it’s not like the name is “Bills nazis”...I just think people need to lighten up, stop taking things so seriously, and learn to have a little fun...just my opinion.

The Mafia is not a fun party of presumably Italian fellows.  The Mafia of various large US cities have made quite a number of lives miserable with protection rackets in the past.  This means they bust your place up if you don't pay their fee (which is steep) on a weekly basis.  Today, they cost you money even if you are not a direct victim of theft.  Every time something gets stolen in a Mafia related crime and a claim is put through to an insurance company that company spreads the loss over its entire coverage base so anybody not living in their parents basement pays for it.  I think people need to smarten up versus lighten up.  Most people who join the Mafia have pretty short shelf lives to boot.  Somebody that I have personal knowledge of lasted barely two years.  Associates, soldiers, etc are nothing to the top ranks of the Mafia.  I don't hate Allen but wish he had thought about it a little before he made that proclamation.

There is no question Josh Allen is likeable.  We already knew his physical skill set is remarkable.  I'm happy with that for now.  In a few months I'm hoping to see more of that skill set translating into production.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

The Mafia is not a fun party of presumably Italian fellows.  The Mafia of various large US cities have made quite a number of lives miserable with protection rackets in the past.  This means they bust your place up if you don't pay their fee (which is steep) on a weekly basis.  Today, they cost you money even if you are not a direct victim of theft.  Every time something gets stolen in a Mafia related crime and a claim is put through to an insurance company that company spreads the loss over its entire coverage base so anybody not living in their parents basement pays for it.  I think people need to smarten up versus lighten up.  Most people who join the Mafia have pretty short shelf lives to boot.  Somebody that I have personal knowledge of lasted barely two years.  Associates, soldiers, etc are nothing to the top ranks of the Mafia.  I don't hate Allen but wish he had thought about it a little before he made that proclamation.

Wow, then it’s a good thing the Bills mafia is just a bunch of people who like rooting for a football team ?

Edited by JaCrispy

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Wow, then it’s a good thing the Bills mafia is just a bunch of people who like rooting for a football team ?

I'm sorry that you cannot see that the word Mafia for most people means "organized crime" before it means "family".  I would suspect a huge number of people would not even associate the word "mafia" with the word "family" if they were not educated in the Italian (Latin) language.  The organized crime world has spent a fair amount of effort in trying to make people believe that they don't exist at various points in time.  The less that people associate the word mafia with organized crime the better the Mafia feels about their existence.  For me it is not much different than current day Nazi's try to down play the Holocaust that occurred at the hands of previous Nazi's in Europe during the Second World War.  They would love it if most people thought they were just a bunch of sharply dressed (in black coats and boots) people that believe in a high level of order as opposed to a group of people that promote intolerance and in some cases death.  I am sorry in that some words cannot be sanitized even if they were hijacked from earlier more benign meanings and definitions.  If we were talking about using the Confederate flag as a symbol of support for our politics and even our sports teams it would be offensive to most and to use the word mafia is no different.  

43 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm sorry that you cannot see that the word Mafia for most people means "organized crime" before it means "family".  I would suspect a huge number of people would not even associate the word "mafia" with the word "family" if they were not educated in the Italian (Latin) language.  The organized crime world has spent a fair amount of effort in trying to make people believe that they don't exist at various points in time.  The less that people associate the word mafia with organized crime the better the Mafia feels about their existence.  For me it is not much different than current day Nazi's try to down play the Holocaust that occurred at the hands of previous Nazi's in Europe during the Second World War.  They would love it if most people thought they were just a bunch of sharply dressed (in black coats and boots) people that believe in a high level of order as opposed to a group of people that promote intolerance and in some cases death.  I am sorry in that some words cannot be sanitized even if they were hijacked from earlier more benign meanings and definitions.  If we were talking about using the Confederate flag as a symbol of support for our politics and even our sports teams it would be offensive to most and to use the word mafia is no different.  

Fans calling themselves the Bills Mafia doesn't make them organized crime it's just a nick name. Josh is just trying to fit in with the people. 

Mafia is a theme used in movies, tv series and video games. It's not taken as serious as it once used to be. It's more of a part of history now.

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Dude, go eat an ice cream cone...and make sure to add some rainbow ?  sprinkles to cheer you up...you’re killing me, Smalls! ?

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

From Wiki...

Etymology[edit]

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means 'swagger', but can also be translated as 'boldness' or 'bravado'. In reference to a man, mafiusu (mafioso in Italian) in 19th century Sicily signified 'fearless', 'enterprising', and 'proud', according to scholar Diego Gambetta.[2] In reference to a woman, however, the feminine-form adjective mafiusa means 'beautiful' or 'attractive'.

Large groups of Italian migrant workers, primarily from the south of the country, first arrived in the US due to a US labor shortage, which was a result of the US Civil War, the end of slave labor, and the hundreds of thousands killed in the war. As the migrant laborers from Sicily arrived, they were met with prejudice and discrimination. This is when the Sicilian word 'mafiusu' began to change from a positive connotation in Sicily to the negative and shortened 'mafia' in the US.

12 hours ago, Lfod said:

Fans calling themselves the Bills Mafia doesn't make them organized crime it's just a nick name. Josh is just trying to fit in with the people. 

Mafia is a theme used in movies, tv series and video games. It's not taken as serious as it once used to be. It's more of a part of history now.

Fans calling themselves the Bills Mafia doesn't make them organized crime?  I think everybody understands that.  The point is the term mafia is in poor taste.  I've known 100's of Italian-American people and I never heard one use the word mafia casually to describe blood relation or even community such as a neighborhood heavy with Italian-Americans.  I always figured if they don't use it casually then I probably should not either.

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

From Wiki...

Etymology[edit]

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means 'swagger', but can also be translated as 'boldness' or 'bravado'. In reference to a man, mafiusu (mafioso in Italian) in 19th century Sicily signified 'fearless', 'enterprising', and 'proud', according to scholar Diego Gambetta.[2] In reference to a woman, however, the feminine-form adjective mafiusa means 'beautiful' or 'attractive'.

Large groups of Italian migrant workers, primarily from the south of the country, first arrived in the US due to a US labor shortage, which was a result of the US Civil War, the end of slave labor, and the hundreds of thousands killed in the war. As the migrant laborers from Sicily arrived, they were met with prejudice and discrimination. This is when the Sicilian word 'mafiusu' began to change from a positive connotation in Sicily to the negative and shortened 'mafia' in the US.

If you were an old fashioned poll taker standing in downtown Buffalo or downtown Rochester doing a survey and asked what the word mafia meant I doubt that a significant number of people would regurgitate the wiki origin you listed and that is the point.  

Edited by RochesterRob

On 6/22/2018 at 8:24 PM, Golden Goat said:

He's making it really easy to like him.

he really is.  I hope he becomes great, because he's got the personality down.   Although, better if he were a Pens fan, oh well ;)

On 6/23/2018 at 5:48 PM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Football ☑️

Hockey ☑️

Wings ☑️

Those are three things that every Buffalonian should love. I’d say he’s off to a great start

must add Beef on Weck! 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Image result for Lighten up Francis

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1