Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I respect that this is the mountain that you are going to die on.

The reality is the difference in talent is so obvious. As Darren Woodson said, “Allen looks like he is going to be a superstar.” There is literally no reason to have him on the bench. He may be their best QB already and has looked the part. We all know that sooner or later he is getting the keys. My question is “why wait?”

Also, I accept Venmo :)

Glad you got your swagger back...far cry from your tone just a week ago.

Allen's physical gifts are a reality and were never in question; Allen had a great game and showed great potential, but I won't get lost in any illusions.

Your best bet in having Allen declared starting QB right now, as many of these media figures have suddenly began prescribing, is that McDermott and/or Daboll get lost in the buzz from last night and deviate from their level-headed, uninfluenced by media, patient approach on bringing Allen along.

Two games to go.

Here's another take on the reality of last night's game:

The Bills' Allen and Peterman played well in the preseason win over Cleveland

AJ McCarron got hurt and could be out of the quarterback competition

(WGR 550) - When it comes to the Bills quarterbacks, Josh Allen and Nathan Peterman showed very well in Buffalo’s preseason victory over Cleveland.

AJ McCarron led the first four Buffalo drives of the night and went three-and-out in all four of them.

The Buffalo News is reporting that McCarron suffered a hairline fracture of his right collarbone. All Sean McDermott would say it his quarterback hurt his right shoulder.

During his four drives, McCarron was hit a lot and completed just 3-of-6 passes for 12 yards. It seemed to me like when he did have time to throw the ball, he didn’t want to because he was afraid of a mistake.

That was evident on a 3rd down, where he had both Zay Jones and Jeremy Kerley open coming across the field for a first down, but he just looked at them and decided to run. He was afraid he might get intercepted.

Allen was certainly up to the challenge of playing with the first-team offense. They were all out there except for LeSean McCoy and Charles Clay. By this time in the second quarter, Cleveland had taken its first-team defense off the field, but I don’t think it matters.

Allen led three drives and scored on all three of them. The first was an extremely impressive 15-play, 80-yard drive that ate up 11:05 off the clock. I just think that needs to be emphasized, Allen put together a drive that took up most of the second quarter!

One of the things I’ve liked about Allen in the preseason is he doesn’t get flustered. On his second play, the play didn’t get communicated to him fast enough, but he kept his wits and called a timeout.

In the whole 15-play drive, the Bills only had to convert two 3rd downs and one was a gift when the Browns Gerald Avery got called for illegal use of hands.

Allen converted a 3rd-and-2 from the Bills 28 hitting Andre Holmes for seven.

The Bills mixed in a short passing game which saw Allen complete passes to tight end Khari Lee three times.

Marcus Murphy helped the cause with four carries for 39 yards. Chris Ivory ran the ball twice for six yards.

The touchdown came from the two-yard line and Allen couldn’t have played it any better. The QB sidestepped the rush and stepped up in the pocket. By this time, Rod Streater was coming across the back of the end zone and Allen found him for the score.

Before half time, Murphy returned a punt 39-yards to the Browns 41. The runningback had broken into the clear, but got tripped up by the last possible Brown.

Allen did some scrambling in this drive and quite honestly, showed some elusiveness. He got the ball to the 15 with seven seconds left in the half. McDermott didn’t want to chance one more play and kicked a field goal. It’s preseason, I don’t understand why the head coach goes conservative there. Yes, Buffalo is out of timeouts, but wouldn’t it help the kid’s development to run a quick play to the end zone. If time happens to run out, who cares? Its preseason and he would have some valuable experience.

Allen got the first drive of the second half and had good field position at the Buffalo 44.

Two runs and three passes got the ball into Browns territory which set up a 53-yard Stephen Hauschka field goal.

Allen ended 9-of-13 for 60 yards and a score. Probably the biggest mistake I thought he made was right before the half when he scrambled for six yards and a first down. He cut the play up field instead of heading for the sideline. He had to spike the ball and the Bills lost valuable seconds and probably one more crack at the end zone.

In two games I’ve just really liked the poise of this rookie. He seems OK with staying within himself which was evident on the 11 minute drive.

As I do every week it needs to be pointed out that neither team game planned for this game and preseason can fool you.

Peterman did a very nice job of bringing the Bills back after they fell behind. Peterman missed his first two passes and then completed 8-of-8 for 113 yards and a 35-yard touchdown to Nick O’Leary.

That drive went 75-yards after the Browns had taken a four point lead. Early in the drive, Peterman had hooked up with O’Leary for a 29-yard gain.

I have been reading a lot about O’Leary this week that he’s falling behind Clay, Lee and Jason Croom on the depth chart. The one thing I’ll say about O’Leary is he’s a gamer.  It just seems like when a play needs to be made, the Bills quarterbacks look for him.

If the report on McCarron is correct, he will miss some time. Both Peterman and Allen have played well in the two preseason games. Allen has seemed OK with everything that has been thrown at him, but the one thing that hasn’t been thrown at him is a game plan.

It’ll be fun to see how this progresses.

59 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Glad you got your swagger back...far cry from your tone just a week ago.

Allen's physical gifts are a reality and were never in question; Allen had a great game and showed great potential, but I won't get lost in any illusions.

Your best bet in having Allen declared starting QB right now, as many of these media figures have suddenly began prescribing, is that McDermott and/or Daboll get lost in the buzz from last night and deviate from their level-headed, uninfluenced by media, patient approach on bringing Allen along.

Two games to go.

I never lost my swagger. I said that all 3 played well in PS game 1. Also, said that Allen would start getting 2nd team reps after that game (and he did). The plan is, and has always been, to hand Allen the job when he is ready. He certainly looks ready at this point. Let him run with the ones next week and never look back.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

Peterman did a very nice job of bringing the Bills back after they fell behind. Peterman missed his first two passes and then completed 8-of-8 for 113 yards and a 35-yard touchdown to Nick O’Leary.

He failed to mention that he got the lead back after losing it.

Edited by Warcodered

Does anyone have a way to post all of Peterman's throws from last night? One thing I noticed on the oleary touchdown drive, is that it seemed like Peterman was taking advantage of single coverage on the right side. Could be wrong but I'd like to see it again. If so, was great awareness by Peterman and/or daboll

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Does anyone have a way to post all of Peterman's throws from last night? One thing I noticed on the oleary touchdown drive, is that it seemed like Peterman was taking advantage of single coverage on the right side. Could be wrong but I'd like to see it again. If so, was great awareness by Peterman and/or daboll

No one covered O'Leary at all. He ran three yards and turned to look for the ball because he knew no one was near him. Just a total blown coverage presnap by the Browns. It was a very simple read and look and pass. Gerhard DeBeer could have thrown that TD. 

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No one covered O'Leary at all. He ran three yards and turned to look for the ball because he knew no one was near him. Just a total blown coverage presnap by the Browns. It was a very simple read and look and pass. Gerhard DeBeer could have thrown that TD. 

That wasn't his only catch though 

13 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Nope, it was a blown assignment by the Browns. They broke it down on NFL Total Access this morning. The safety was supposed to roll to that side of the field and didn’t. O’Leary was uncovered.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, it was a blown assignment by the Browns. They broke it down on NFL Total Access this morning. The safety was supposed to roll to that side of the field and didn’t. O’Leary was uncovered.

He looked so slow running for the TD.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The ten qualities are obvious. There are about 25 a QB needs to show. Allen has already shown that he

1. can throw the deep out.

2. Can throw deep. Two of his three deep balls were great passes. The third was on the money but OB. 

3. Can throw over the middle. 

4. Can look off a CB and/or a Safety 

5. Can deal with a Rush in his face.

6. can stand in the pocket and take a hit without flinching and still hit the pass (to Croom)

7. Can avoid the rush and roll out

8. Can run fast, be elusive, outrun LBs, know when to run, etc, (that is actually 3-4 different traits I'm grouping into one. 

9.. Know down and distance (which he showed 3-4 times)

10. Terrific ball handling right off the bat (and shown throughout his college career) on handoffs and play action.

11. Can throw accurate on the run. 

12. Command of the hurry up/two minute offense. He has had two chances and they scored 10 points. 

I could go on... 

1,2, and 3...can make all the throws.

5,7, and 8...he's athletic.

9...what's the criteria of a QB that doesn't know down and distance?

20 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Those are all different things and qualities and some guys can make some of them but not all of them so they are totally different criterion. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A blown assignment it was

but shouldn’t credit go to him for recognizing it?

We all know Nate isn’t starting material but let’s give him some credit for not sucking.  

A general comment to no one particular 

To those mentioning the starting Online being bad  - Josh did very well worth the 2s .....

one would think he’d do well with the 1s.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Those are all different things and qualities and some guys can make some of them but not all of them so they are totally different criterion. 

18 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The ten qualities are obvious. There are about 25 a QB needs to show. Allen has already shown that he

1. can throw the deep out.

2. Can throw deep. Two of his three deep balls were great passes. The third was on the money but OB. 

3. Can throw over the middle. 

4. Can look off a CB and/or a Safety 

5. Can deal with a Rush in his face.

6. can stand in the pocket and take a hit without flinching and still hit the pass (to Croom)

7. Can avoid the rush and roll out

8. Can run fast, be elusive, outrun LBs, know when to run, etc, (that is actually 3-4 different traits I'm grouping into one. 

9.. Know down and distance (which he showed 3-4 times)

10. Terrific ball handling right off the bat (and shown throughout his college career) on handoffs and play action.

11. Can throw accurate on the run. 

12. Command of the hurry up/two minute offense. He has had two chances and they scored 10 points. 

I could go on... 

You've split one thing, "can make all the throws", into many parts for the sake of creating multiple points...it's very clear.

As clear as your bias against Peterman and favor of Allen.

How the heck can a pass be deemed "on the money" if out of bounds?

Getting kind of ridiculous.

Edited by BurpleBull

33 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

You've split one thing, "can make all the throws", into many parts for the sake of creating multiple points...it's very clear.

As clear as your bias against Peterman and favor of Allen.

How the heck can a pass be deemed "on the money" if out of bounds?

Getting kind of ridiculous.

Easy. Because it was exactly the right length, and he threw it long, so Foster was the only one that could catch it he just threw it one yard too much to the left. It wasn't a good pass because it was too far (one yard) OB, but he threw it 60 yards and hit him in full stride. That was the obvious point. I didn't include it in the good pass category.

If you don't know the difference between being able to throw deep, and throw over the middle and throw the deep out, I don't really wish to discuss football with you. Those are three separate things. There are many quarterbacks who can "make all the throws" and can't throw well over the middle. We had one the last three years. There are a lot of quarterbacks who can "make all the throws" but can't really throw the deep out well. Fitzy was one of those. He can get it there he just has to wind up and put everything he has into it so it allows the Dbs extra time to get there. We haven't ever seen Peterman throw a big league deep out with enough velocity. Ever. 

23 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's a poor man's Trent Edwards, who was better than Peterman and could not play in the NFL.  

I was just going to post this but you beat me to it. He reminds me of Trent.  Drop back and hit a guy short standing still.  Then the D figures that and covers the short routes and he's toast.

That and they'll blitz the pants off of him.

People around here used to say Trent reminded them of Joe Montana.

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He made a great catch before the TD. And another one on the sideline. You're right. 

That was a stallion play by both Kelvin and Nasty Nate.

5 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

LOL

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Edited by reddogblitz

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Easy. Because it was exactly the right length, and he threw it long, so Foster was the only one that could catch it he just threw it one yard too much to the left. It wasn't a good pass because it was too far (one yard) OB, but he threw it 60 yards and hit him in full stride. That was the obvious point. I didn't include it in the good pass category.

If you don't know the difference between being able to throw deep, and throw over the middle and throw the deep out, I don't really wish to discuss football with you. Those are three separate things. There are many quarterbacks who can "make all the throws" and can't throw well over the middle. We had one the last three years. There are a lot of quarterbacks who can "make all the throws" but can't really throw the deep out well. Fitzy was one of those. He can get it there he just has to wind up and put everything he has into it so it allows the Dbs extra time to get there. We haven't ever seen Peterman throw a big league deep out with enough velocity. Ever. 

It's not that I don't know the difference between the throws, I just know when someone is talking up a QB's 'superior arm talent' by highlighting his capability to make all the throws, especially the difficult-to-make, rare, and/or important ones.

Never heard of a bad pass that was 'on the money' until now.

You would deem Scott Norwood's 'wide right' FGA 'on the money' if he switched places with Josh Allen and he kicked it.

Bills' still lose by a point, but hey, the kick was on the money.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

You're delusional.

Peterman's 1st pass last night cemented the very fact that Peterman can NOT make all the NFL throws against NFL defenders.