Social Security and Medicare Pending Insolvency

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

You sure about this? I am fairly certain Trump just said in the G-7.."yall dont want tariffs..I am good with that. Let's remove all tariffs and barriers to trade"  and nothing but crickets back.

I'm sure he was being serious. Ya right. 

16 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Google Bush 11's many pleas to congress re correcting the CRA problem.

I know very little about this, and don't want to pretend I do. Interesting article here...which agrees with your macro point, but not the micro..except below

What's more, George W. Bush was a major proponent of the kind of mortgages that banks had started making under the CRA. He urged low-to-no doc mortgages and the elimination o
f downpayments, just like the CRA regulators had long done. "We certainly don't want there to be a fine print preventing people from owning their home," the President said in a 2002 speech. "We can change the print, and we've got to."

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-cra-debate-a-users-guide-2009-6

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I'm sure he was being serious. Ya right. 

Can you tell me our trade policies and all tariffa associated with our trade with Canada? Can you in detail explain NAFTA and how it helps/ hurts various industries in all 3 nations? OR are you just assuming Trump = Bad? I know I cannot tell you in detail NAFTA and what tariffs Canada applies to US goods...but I am willing to learn

I am new to this board..let me tell you I despise Trump. Does not mean that some of what he does cannot be good..along with a whole lot of awful. But dont throw the baby so to speak just cause it's Trump.

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know very little about this, and don't want to pretend I do. Interesting article here...which agrees with your macro point, but not the micro..except below

What's more, George W. Bush was a major proponent of the kind of mortgages that banks had started making under the CRA. He urged low-to-no doc mortgages and the elimination o
f downpayments, just like the CRA regulators had long done. "We certainly don't want there to be a fine print preventing people from owning their home," the President said in a 2002 speech. "We can change the print, and we've got to."

It's been a consistent government theme for almost 30 years: decry lending standards as "preventing home ownership" while simultaneously decrying the lack of lending standards.  

What most people don't realize is that nothing's changed since 2008.  

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's been a consistent government theme for almost 30 years: decry lending standards as "preventing home ownership" while simultaneously decrying the lack of lending standards.  

What most people don't realize is that nothing's changed since 2008.  

that article linked above was interesting as hell..and I am assuming non-biased as author is a Republican. His conclusion at the end that CRA lending standards exasberated the mortgage issue by applying CRA lending standards to borrowers outside of the CRA target was enlightening. As I said, I know very little about this subject..very interesting.

Edited by plenzmd1

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Can you tell me our trade policies and all tariffa associated with our trade with Canada? Can you in detail explain NAFTA and how it helps/ hurts various industries in all 3 nations? OR are you just assuming Trump = Bad? I know I cannot tell you in detail NAFTA and what tariffs Canada applies to US goods...but I am willing to learn

I am new to this board..let me tell you I despise Trump. Does not mean that some of what he does cannot be good..along with a whole lot of awful. But dont throw the baby so to speak just cause it's Trump.

This is a strange post. You want to learn about trade policy from a message board? 

And no, not just assuming Trump bad--though its a good educated guess to go on!--but making things more expensive with taxes is generally bad with some exceptions. What he is doing has nothing to do with good economic policy, its all politics. His tariffs are aimed at making rest belt areas happy with him. But its pissing others off. Look at my posts in "The Fire bell In The Night" Thread for how the trade policy is playing on across the country, if you are interested. 

1 hour ago, baskin said:

..I am socially progessive and fiscally concervative...GOP/Cons are neither

Which based on your posting history means that you snipe from the back bench without offering solutions.  Would love to actually hear how you accomplish your favorite socially progressive policies, while maintaining fiscal conservatism.

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

You sure about this? I am fairly certain Trump just said in the G-7.."yall dont want tariffs..I am good with that. Let's remove all tariffs and barriers to trade"  and nothing but crickets back.

I will be the absolute first to stand up and tell you I do not understand or know every trade regulation in place and how it affects differebt industrie and what the macro effect might be ..but I am fairly certain no else on this board does either. But i am not going to just dismiss what Trump is doing in trade just cause it is Trump

Let's say that is so...we had 8 years under Reagan, 4 under Bush 1 and 8 under Bush 2 to change the policy/act.

So to be clear, I think President's have very little impact on the economy..for instance, I don't ascribe the budget surplus to Clinton and his policies. That being said, I do believe what has impacts are deficits and money policy..and Trump scares me on the deficit side. I do not t hink I am alone there...as matkets tend to look forward 1 year plus...and we be going sideways for the last 6 months.

facts be facts...not saying it was CAUSE of Clinton..but it is a fact.

facts.... from the Dems... yeah right

they keep redefining things to make them better (unemployment rate, budget deficit, depends what "is" means)

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

facts.... from the Dems... yeah right

they keep redefining things to make them better (unemployment rate, budget deficit, depends what "is" means)

this is why both sides drive me friggen nuts... 

Are you really saying the budget numbers are a Democratic ploy? 

OTOH , you have the Trump=Bad no matter the outcome ..

both sides freaking knucklheads...too hard to do critical thinking i guess

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is why both sides drive me friggen nuts... 

Are you really saying the budget numbers are a Democratic ploy? 

OTOH , you have the Trump=Bad no matter the outcome ..

both sides freaking knucklheads...too hard to do critical thinking i guess

Just calling both sides bad is critical thinking on your part? 

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is a strange post. You want to learn about trade policy from a message board? 

And no, not just assuming Trump bad--though its a good educated guess to go on!--but making things more expensive with taxes is generally bad with some exceptions. What he is doing has nothing to do with good economic policy, its all politics. His tariffs are aimed at making rest belt areas happy with him. But its pissing others off. Look at my posts in "The Fire bell In The Night" Thread for how the trade policy is playing on across the country, if you are interested. 

Where is this rest belt you refer to?

29 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don't care  how it is playing out across the country and especially with Trump voters, I care how it impacts the US, and the world economies, long term. It is a fact China steals our intellectual property and makes doing business in China almost 100% one-sided...I want to see that change as I believe in the long term it is good for the US and world economies that China plays by the same rules as the rest of us.

When it comes to the G-7 and trade pacts like NAFTA, I want to understand what the current environment looks like, the impacts it has on certain vertical markets as well as the macro impacts it has on the US and Global economy. I have seen none of that analysis done. Just cause folks in Tennessee getting all worked up about Jack Daniels prices going up does not mean the policy is bad...i don't see US craft brewers screaming at Trump as I believe Canada protects the hell of their beer industry.

Here is from the Candian Government lsiting

Most Canadian provinces restrict the sale of wine, beer, and spirits through province-run liquor control boards, which are the sole authorized sellers of wine, beer, and spirits in those provinces. Market access barriers in those provinces hamper exports of U.S. wine, beer, and spirits to Canada. These barriers include cost-of-service mark-ups, restrictions on listings (products the liquor board will sell), reference prices (maximum prices the liquor board is willing to pay or prices below which imported products may not be sold), labeling requirements, discounting policies (requirements that suppliers offer rebates or reduce their prices to meet sales targets), and distribution policies.

Edited by plenzmd1

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Just calling both sides bad is critical thinking on your part? 

did't say it was..but saying something is bad just cause the other side likes it is lazy. 

Just now, DC Tom said:

It's where the recession was exasberated.

I think he's typing with mittens on today.

I get all the credit for that one!!!!!!

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ummmmmmmm....no:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/business/fannie-mae-eases-credit-to-aid-mortgage-lending.html

"Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits."

11 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Universal Basic Lifestyle

upon turning 26 years old, everyone is given:

• healthcare
  • cellphone
  • electric car
  • 500 sft of living space
  • birthday cake

You forgot oral sex.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Universal Basic Lifestyle

upon turning 26 years old, everyone is given: