California (again)

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Downtown/Market Street/Union Sq., etc. is awful and as advertised.  It's like the whole Tenderloin slum moves south for the day.   Ironically, rich capitalists like the head of Salesforce are now taking on the challenge of fixing it since the government liberals have no answers.

That said, you really don't see that crap (literally and figuratively) in most of the city.   The Mission has always been sketchy, but even there it seems to be different than what they permit in the downtown sewer.

And of course, there are no cops here.   Still amazes me when compared to NYC where you see them everywhere, all the time.

After Dirty Harry cleared out the real criminals there wasn't much need of cops anymore.

6 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Hmmm...I wonder why. 

Oh, wait. No I don't. Austin is known as THE new hotspot for CA liberals who think their ideology works if they can just elect the right people to implement it.

Spot on - couldn't agree with you more. There's still a lot here to like, but the city is definitely heading in down that path. A lot of the locals are beginning to wake up, so maybe the genie isn't completely out of the bottle yet.

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

Spot on - couldn't agree with you more. There's still a lot here to like, but the city is definitely heading in down that path. A lot of the locals are beginning to wake up, so maybe the genie isn't completely out of the bottle yet.

It's too late. They're like a new virus whose purpose is to turn you from red to blue. You think you can contain it, but you can't. We saw it happen to Colorado that's turned hippie-dippie blue. Texas is a much tougher test, and while I'm not one to think a state will be so fed up that they'll turn to bloodshed, if that WERE to happen one day, it'll start in Texas.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/9/2019 at 8:32 AM, Azalin said:

I'm not used to hearing Austin referred to as "low-tax". Texas may have no state income tax, but Austin's property taxes are the highest in the state. It's the most expensive place to live in Texas, and it's getting more so all the time.

Just because they're rich doesn't mean they're not stupid.  And you know they likely bought the biggest home in Austin.  

On 5/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, KD in CA said:

Downtown/Market Street/Union Sq., etc. is awful and as advertised.  It's like the whole Tenderloin slum moves south for the day.   Ironically, rich capitalists like the head of Salesforce are now taking on the challenge of fixing it since the government liberals have no answers.

That said, you really don't see that crap (literally and figuratively) in most of the city.   The Mission has always been sketchy, but even there it seems to be different than what they permit in the downtown sewer.

And of course, there are no cops here.   Still amazes me when compared to NYC where you see them everywhere, all the time.

I lived in the Bay area for almost 10 years and 4 in the city and I can't even tell you what a SFPD patrol car looks like.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Just because they're rich doesn't mean they're not stupid.  And you know they likely bought the biggest home in Austin.  

I lived in the Bay area for almost 10 years and 4 in the city and I can't even tell you what a SFPD patrol car looks like.  

police-car-with-gay-flag-in-san-francisc

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, KD in CA said:

SFPD has better things to do than patrol the city, like raid the home of journalists

https://www.sfexaminer.com/the-city/san-francisco-police-raid-home-of-journalist-to-find-leak-in-adachi-death/

See how Trump has declared war on journalism!

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

SFPD has better things to do than patrol the city, like raid the home of journalists

https://www.sfexaminer.com/the-city/san-francisco-police-raid-home-of-journalist-to-find-leak-in-adachi-death/

More on this story:

LIBERAL FASCISM: San Francisco police raid home of journalist to find who leaked Adachi report.

Two weeks prior, Carmody said that he was interviewed by police officers about where he obtained his information, but refused to disclose his source. Today, Carmody said that police and FBI agents executed a search warrant on his Richmond District home and Western Addition office.

They confiscated his cell phones, computers and a copy of the police report from within his office safe.

“They have completely shut down my business,” said Carmody, who has operated as an independent stringer for Bay Area and national television stations, including Fox News, CNBC and CBS Evening news.

Carmody accused police of “intimidation” to “make me break my [journalistic] ethics.”

“I’m refusing to give up my source,” he said.

On the one hand, there’s no legal right to refuse a subpoena to name a source. On the other, if Bill Barr were sending FBI agents to raid journalists’ homes in search of leakers, we’d be told that the Fourth Reich had descended on America.

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Carrying on the Kamala Harris legacy of raiding homes for personal gain.

T-minute 8 days 'til we're wheels up. Feels like an eternity.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABillzFan said:

T-minute 8 days 'til we're wheels up. Feels like an eternity.

I'm legitimately happy for you.

Most days, it seems the only way I'm getting away from this ***** is to put a bullet in my head.  

28 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm legitimately happy for you.

Most days, it seems the only way I'm getting away from this ***** is to put a bullet in my head.  

I appreciate that. If I haven't mentioned it here yet, the reality of a mass exodus from CA was never more evident than when we tried to hire a moving company and an estate sale person. They're all crushed with work, needed us to move quickly to confirm, and all insist they've never seen so many people leaving as they do right now.

For what it's worth, our intent was to rent for a year, but we found a beautiful house on 5+ acres, which meant we had to unexpectedly and quickly dig in for a mortgage. Many of you probably know this, but if you haven't tried to qualify for a mortgage as a small-business owner in the past 14 years, nothing you remember is the same. We have great credit, a smaller mortgage and lower payment than we've been making for years, little business debt...no one cares. It's about liquidity tests and checkboxes.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I appreciate that. If I haven't mentioned it here yet, the reality of a mass exodus from CA was never more evident than when we tried to hire a moving company and an estate sale person. They're all crushed with work, needed us to move quickly to confirm, and all insist they've never seen so many people leaving as they do right now.

For what it's worth, our intent was to rent for a year, but we found a beautiful house on 5+ acres, which meant we had to unexpectedly and quickly dig in for a mortgage. Many of you probably know this, but if you haven't tried to qualify for a mortgage as a small-business owner in the past 14 years, nothing you remember is the same. We have great credit, a smaller mortgage and lower payment than we've been making for years, little business debt...no one cares. It's about liquidity tests and checkboxes.

We just bought our retirement home in Palm Springs!  ?

Well actually it’s a income property. It’s the model of a new phase of a gated community. They are leasing it from us for about $2k a month. Easy cash flow for the next 18-24 months. After that we sell, rent to the public or move in. Pretty much a win win win. 

32 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

We just bought our retirement home in Palm Springs!  ?

Well actually it’s a income property. It’s the model of a new phase of a gated community. They are leasing it from us for about $2k a month. Easy cash flow for the next 18-24 months. After that we sell, rent to the public or move in. Pretty much a win win win. 

You’ll love it in PS. Always tons going on and dozens of restaurants to try. (Somebody tried opening a Buffalo based sports bar about a year ago but it never got off the ground.)

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

Of course.  Because when the entire world economy almost collapses because low-income homebuyers are overborrowing from banks pushing no-doc loans at no risk to themselves and at the encouragement of the government that can't be bothered to enforce the lending and homebuying regulations on the books, clearly the solution is to make it more difficult for the small business owner.

My legitimate happiness for you is, sadly, tempered by the belief that you're escape is temporary.  The issues are national, CA's merely the leading edge of it.  The only positive thing I can say about the bull#### of the past 15 years is that it's going to look positively blissful compared to the bull#### we're going to have foisted on us in the next 15.

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Of course.  Because when the entire world economy almost collapses because low-income homebuyers are overborrowing from banks pushing no-doc loans at no risk to themselves and at the encouragement of the government that can't be bothered to enforce the lending and homebuying regulations on the books, clearly the solution is to make it more difficult for the small business owner.

My legitimate happiness for you is, sadly, tempered by the belief that you're escape is temporary.  The issues are national, CA's merely the leading edge of it.  The only positive thing I can say about the bull#### of the past 15 years is that it's going to look positively blissful compared to the bull#### we're going to have foisted on us in the next 15.

Down in flames.