Lets Check Back To Reality On The Bills Defense

The only stat or ranking that matters is PPG. I

This defense is very "bend, don't break" and opportunistic. They're going to give up yards, yet (hopefully) limit scores. They were very good at that for the first 6 or so games last year. Then the Jets, Saints, Chargers games happened...PPG and YPG rankings dropped considerably after those 3 games. I know we cannot "take away those games", but the final rankings would have been slightly better if those games weren't as ugly. 

I don't think its crazy to think that the Bills could finish near the top 10 or better, but part of those rankings will rely on the offense being able to sustain drives and stay on the field, and if there is some regression on that side of the ball (which can be expected), the defense may "look" like a top 10 unit, but the rankings won't reflect that.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

10 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

The only stat or ranking that matters is PPG. I

This defense is very "bend, don't break" and opportunistic. They're going to give up yards, yet (hopefully) limit scores. They were very good at that for the first 6 or so games last year. Then the Jets, Saints, Chargers games happened...PPG and YPG rankings dropped considerably after those 3 games. I know we cannot "take away those games", but the final rankings would have been slightly better if those games weren't as ugly. 

I don't think its crazy to think that the Bills could finish near the top 10 or better, but part of those rankings will rely on the offense being able to sustain drives and stay on the field, and if there is some regression on that side of the ball (which can be expected), the defense may "look" like a top 10 unit, but the rankings won't reflect that.

This is something I referenced in the original post. If the offense struggles and the D is always on the field 35 mins with poor field position we could see a D statistically not much better play on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

I am personally very interested in what Harrison Phillips can do.  If he can do in the NFL what he did in college that will bring a ton of flexibility and/or rest for the rest of the D.

Edited by Albillny

Also will depend on how much the offense can help the defense by not going 3 and out. A tired defense is not a good defense either. So it all will depend on a number of things. Hopefully everything will improve on every level, but I am excited to see how this D stacks up.

McDermott and Frazier proved they will get the most out of the defense with the talent they have. Having said that I believe there is plenty more talent on this D then last years. Baring injuries this D will be top 10.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Linebacker could be a real concern, but I think that they can figure it out there esp if Edumonds stays healthy. But my biggest concern is the pass rush. There are no sure bets as to the Bills even having 1 player that can get to the QB. Hughes is coming off a bad season and is older, Shaq is coming off of an injury and hasn't light the world on fire, Murphy is coming off of a big injury, and Lorax is older and coming off a not so good season. 

Now all 4 players give you reasons as to why you think they will rebound but all 4 could be ineffective. If the Bills can get 2 good seasons out of those 4 players then I think it is off to the Races. Star and Phillips should be effective in the run game, the LB core should be competent enough, and the secondary is the strength of the defense.

But if the Bills can't get the pass rush going it will just destroy the rest of the defense.

40 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Please don’t bring facts to this argument.

I’ve never understood that argument....”If he was so good, why did X team let him go?”

That’s basically saying that you can’t ever say there is a good free agent signing because that would mean that player wasn’t re-signed by their last team.  

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’ve never understood that argument....”If he was so good, why did X team let him go?”

That’s basically saying that you can’t ever say there is a good free agent signing because that would mean that player wasn’t re-signed by their last team.  

yea it's a strange way to think. if he's so good why did they trade him?