Volcanoes..Am I missing something?

plenzmd1

First, I never like to see the loss of property and especially and most important loss of life.

Having said that..why do people live next to them?

What am I missing? The folks in Hawaii.. I feel maybe I am missing something but I just do not have sympathy for them. I have not read enough about the tragedy in Guatemala, but that thing was active too no?

I have to  be missing something

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

First, I never like to see the loss of property and especially and most important loss of life.

What am I missing? The folks in Hawaii.. I feel maybe I am missing something but I just do not have sympathy for them. I have not read enough about the tragedy in Guatemala, but that thing was active too no?

The same could be said for those who live on the gulf coasts, knowing hurricane season comes every year; or those who live in CA where they put themselves in danger of wildfires and earthquakes.

Tornado alley, San Andreas, Gulf Coast, those are huge areas. 

A rift zone on the most active volcano in the world really doesn't compare. 

But, people have to live somewhere. If you want to live outside Mauna Loa and Kilauea flow areas, you're paying big $$$, and there's only so much land to go around. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

What was your score on the empathy test? ? 

The land was really cheap years ago and I know a few folks who bought some to have an affordable spot on the island. The folks I knew were just there part time and stayed in trailers, rvs, buses, etc. I have not stayed in touch to know what their situation is now.

The Three Sisters mtns in central Or. are active volcanoes right near the city of Bend which has grown immensely in the last 30 years, they could go off tomorrow or not for hundreds of years. That is not gonna stop people from living in Bend. 

Look at the city of New Orleans located below sea level, I get nervous spending a couple nights camping on the coast in the tsunami zone, I couldn't imagine living in a hurricane zone below sea level.

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

What was your score on the empathy test? ? 

The land was really cheap years ago and I know a few folks who bought some to have an affordable spot on the island. The folks I knew were just there part time and stayed in trailers, rvs, buses, etc. I have not stayed in touch to know what their situation is now.

The Three Sisters mtns in central Or. are active volcanoes right near the city of Bend which has grown immensely in the last 30 years, they could go off tomorrow or not for hundreds of years. That is not gonna stop people from living in Bend. 

?

I am usually empathic as hell..and I think living next to a volcano is so much more localized..i mean move 5 miles away in Hawaii and you are fine correct? So land was cheap, no one would insure you cause you were so close to an active volcano..you made a bet and lost..life sucks. Does anyone feel bad for the people who bought more expensive land out of the volcano zone and been paying more every month if a volcano never erupted ?

No one cares when I bet the Bills and lose, why should i feel bad that these folks made a bet and lost? And don't even get me started on the people that will not leave now.

• Like (+1) 1

The "Why" concept is exacerbated when one considers the number of folks that continue to rebuild in the very same flood plains, debris slide zones, hurricane paths....  I've always thought that they just played the odds in order to live in an area that, for them, had a particular appeal.  Along about the third time through the disaster cycle, I begin to lose all sense of empathy for them.

Edited by Keukasmallies
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

?

I am usually empathic as hell..and I think living next to a volcano is so much more localized..i mean move 5 miles away in Hawaii and you are fine correct? So land was cheap, no one would insure you cause you were so close to an active volcano..you made a bet and lost..life sucks. Does anyone feel bad for the people who bought more expensive land out of the volcano zone and been paying more every month if a volcano never erupted ?

No one cares when I bet the Bills and lose, why should i feel bad that these folks made a bet and lost? And don't even get me started on the people that will not leave now.

The people I knew were aware of the risk when they bought. The empathy remark was joking, I am not expecting you to feel bad.?

Edited by Turk71

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

The people I knew were aware of the risk when they bought. The empathy remark was joking, I am not expecting you to feel bad.?

Took as a joke..no worries! Hope they and their home okay!

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

In the case of Hawaii...because developers developed on them.  That's the real question: why the hell would you develop on that land?  Who the hell zoned it?  And it's not like this was Mt. St. Helens or another volcano that occasionally blows its top.  It's one of the three most active volcanoes on the planet. 

But if you're talking about Guatemala...wait, we do know a volcano in Guatemala popped its top yesterday, right?  60+ dead.  I don't think it's possible to not live near a volcano in Guatemala.

The other two most active volcanoes, by the way: Etna and Merapi, both threaten significant cities, Catania (350k people) and Yogyakarta (2M+), respectively.  And Nyiragongo has a massive lava lake and threatens the city of Goma, about 1M people.  Reason people live there is because the volcanism keeps the land lush and fertile - Etna has some renown vineyards, and cities have been there for almost 3000 years and no one wants to leave.

And Merapi's acting up again too, by the way.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Life is not safe. Try to play the odds....or at least love what you got, till you don’t. 

True words, lost a very close friend 3 days ago in a car accident. His was the only car involved, no alcohol or drugs, they think he had a heart attack behind the wheel. Have to go to the coast to see his wife and kids tomorrow. That is when it will really hit home, very shocking. 

Love and appreciate those you love while you can.

• Sad 1

On 6/4/2018 at 12:49 PM, plenzmd1 said:

Just a calculated risk I guess. Beautiful country against the odds of the mountain blowing up. 

17 minutes ago, Dante said:

Just a calculated risk I guess. Beautiful country against the odds of the mountain blowing up. 

saw a segment on CBS last night explaining the difference between the two type of volcanoes in Hawaii and Guatamela..interesting as well. Guess I did not do a volcano exhibit at the science fair cause it was all new to me.