Could a plant-based diet turn things around for Charles Clay?

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

against my better judgment I'm going to dive in here...

First let me say that every diet under the sun that you can google...keto, south beach, atkins, paleo, whole food plant based, cutting off you arm etc....will all work to help you lose weight if you adhere to them.  However, the real question should be what is the most sustainable option that also promotes long term health.  The conclusion I came to after extensively reviewing the literature (the actual peer reviewed studies published in journals, not blogs or cnn articles) led me to the the overwhelming evidence that a whole food plant based diet is the best option.

To say I came to this conclusion kicking and screaming would be an understatement.  I was a bbq nerd with three grills and multiple bbq gadgets. I loved cooking ribs, wings, brisket, pork butt etc. multiple times a week, but as a scientist I simply couldn't ignore the overwhelming scientific evidence.  So in January I went off the standard american diet onto a whole food plant based diet....I'm down 40 lbs, my cholesterol went from 215 to 112, my blood pressure which was borderline hypertensive is now 115/75.  I did this all by changing my diet with no drugs and I don't miss meat, dairy or eggs at all.  

Nutritionfacts.org is a great resource if you want to dip your toe into the literature. Dr. Greger produces short videos on nearly every nutritional topic based on the latest peer reviewed research.  He cites all the papers that he highlights so you can go read them for yourself like I did.  The best video to start with is the story of his grandma, why he went into medicine and a ground breaking study published in JAMA on how our number one killer, heart disease, can be cured by adopting these dietary changes.

Cornell nutritional biochemist T. Colin Campbell's book The China Study is also a great resource.

I think your post is too intelligent for this board unfortunately.  In the new America everyone is an expert on everything. And real experts are just after money. 

that was 2010. the theories have been reinvented by now lol.

be sure to add a bit of salt to your eggs btw. another bad then good then bad for you.
Metabolism baby !

Thank you for the addition in regard to cholesterol. which directly affects the blood via inflammation.

Those darned Canadians : )

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I think your post is too intelligent for this board unfortunately.  In the new America everyone is an expert on everything. And real experts are just after money. 

I have respect for BillsFanNC personal experience here.

whole and unprocessed are Big words to keep in mind 

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Thanks...it didn't take long for a google "expert" to chime in.

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

be sure to add a bit of salt to your eggs btw. another bad then good then bad for you.
Metabolism baby !

Thank you for the addition in regard to cholesterol. which directly affects the blood via inflammation.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Thanks...it didn't take long for a google "expert" to chime in.

I hope you did not mean me ?
I am awful at googling

do have a poor sense of humor though

Edited by 3rdand12

37 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

And combinations of food stuffs are more effective in creating a healthy system.

We learn more all the time, if you are willing to deep dive.
and once you recognise personal health issues can be improved with just diet and exercise ? You control your own fate to some degree.

Clay is doing just that. 

situational awareness !

Daboll is likely teaching the Team that concept along with reading the opponent and winning your matchups.  ☺️

likely need to find what works for you over time ?

...3% doesn't provide much insulation for RB hits though.....

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Metabolism baby !

I have respect for BillsFanNC personal experience here.

whole and unprocessed are Big words to keep in mind 

The real question is do you have respect for science as well as personal experience.  America for the most doesn’t seem to.  

18 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

The real question is do you have respect for science as well as personal experience.  America for the most doesn’t seem to.  

as i mentioned upstream. My Family ( not me) has a number of us in the health and nutrition and physical fitness fields. They are always studying. We talk about light and sound these days as methods of healing.

And I am always lectured about diet as one of my Daughters is a licensed Nutritionist , personal trainer and Women's Life Coach and  Yogi , another of the them is a Healing Massage therapist with her own business and multiple accreditations who treats terminal patients children and pregnant women. Also a doula and Midwife. The other is going to school to become a Nurse after getting a degree in Teaching.

So i get a lot of input !! too much sometimes  : )
My last attempt at defeating inflammation was using hyperbaric   treatments here in Rochester NY.
so i spent some time looking at scientific studies and speaking with folks who were treating cancer autism etc. I have learned much and still will.
But i am no expert. Just try to incorporate what i learn into my daily.

My Family works with each other to create a healthy environment for ourselves and now the grandchildren. and i do take it seriously.

Some of our dinner time discussions are awesome.

Edited by 3rdand12

On 5/31/2018 at 2:52 AM, Fadingpain said:

I believe most NFL players already have a steady plant based diet.

The plant looks like this:

1508257372649.jpg?ve=1&tl=1&text=big-top

I know I feel better when I consume my greens daily

Edited by frostbitmic

On 6/1/2018 at 8:35 AM, Sky Diver said:

Shaq said that he reshaped his body and is down to 17% body fat and is shooting for 15%. I'm surprised that it's that high. Is that normal? When I was really fit I was down to 9%. I think Bruce was single digit too.

Does seem high to me. I am a 40 year old Soldier and I am at 240 with 15%. And all we have is PT an hour a day.