Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He misquoted the poster that JW was responding to.  That pointed a finger at JW for something he didn't say...........so at that point his take was so wrong it didn't deserve a dignified response. 

OMF is bad at TSW.    Now he's got you chasing his bad take.       

that could be true on the misquoting, and most likely is as I trust you and your posts.. But I thought his point, in this thread, a valid point

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He misquoted the poster that JW was responding to.  That pointed a finger at JW for something he didn't say...........so at that point his take was so wrong it didn't deserve a dignified response. 

Since you're referring to me, where was I wrong.  I indicated a poster responded to a comment that Pegula's success was luck.  And as pointed out a few threads above that is what was said.  And that itself was a side issue.  I asked John specifically if he thought that resorting to snark and personal insults was good journalism.  To this point I have received no response.  The luck vs. no luck thing was a way to deflect from answering the actual question.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What exactly is OMF and TSW?

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Maybe the one detail we can agree with is that both coaches unexpectedly walked away from the job they had to the surprise of the organization. In both cases it had to do with the way the franchise was being run. And In both cases the coaches initiated their departures. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2289987

Agree entirely. :beer:

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

I grew up reading Mike Downey, one fine acerbic sports columnist.

jw

I thought Downey was fantastic. ;)

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

LOL....

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/Theres-One-Less-Writer-In-Chicago-To-Hate.html

"Which is why I didn't like Downey all that much.  His writing and opinions always came off as an attempt to rile people up or make them wonder what Mike was smoking when he wrote it.   It's as though he never realized that in a town like this, filled with millions of smart sports fans with differing opinions, all he had to do was express his actual thoughts and he'd have gotten all the attention he needed.

He didn't, though, and that's why in a few years I don't think many people will even remember who he was."

Downey was a terrific sportswriter. Smart, funny, informed, original. Sure he riled people up but he was my favorite of the national known guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

And rather than pull up one of his columns, particularly from his Detroit Free Press days, you come up with this, someone else’s opinion rather than forming your own.

Somehow, this perfectly fits this entire thread.

jw

I thought it was funny and apropos.     You seem intent on being combative for the sake of being combative...   

2 hours ago, john wawrow said:

So, you’re saying, everyone with a geology degree is worth some $4 billion. 

Theyre finding gas and oil and gold and diamonds left and right and hand over fist.

And all we all needed to do was simply major in geology and we’d all be mega-billionaires, because that seems to be what you’re implying.

Gees, I’ve gotta get me back to school, then, because this sounds like a sure shot.

jw

The more you say, the stupider you seem.

I'm not sure if I should say that. Hmm. That usually means I shouldn't say it. 

But seriously the more you write the more and more I have been surprised because you seem to be of below average intelligence. Honest to goodness I know folks are enjoying the attention from a  sportswriter but you should stop man. You sound way smarter about sports in your columns.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

But seriously the more you write the more and more I have been surprised because you seem to be of below average intelligence. Honest to goodness I know folks are enjoying the attention from a  sportswriter but you should stop man. You sound way smarter about sports in your columns.

That's a bit harsh.  Journalists are an endangered species because of the demise of local papers so emotions are in play when you see colleagues go.  But still responses could certainly be less combative.

19 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't think what jw writes are properly referred to as "columns".  I may not be ginned up on the latest journalistic lingo, but I think what he writes are referred to as news articles, with 2 verified sources per AP standards, and an attempt to be objective and factual.

In this forum at this time, he seems kind of bent on being either disingenuous or provocative or both.  I believe it may be because Sullivan and Gleason are both his friends, he respects them, and he finds it hard to process/accept the dislike their work over the last decade+ has engendered in some fans.  It's kind of easier to impute an extreme position to someone (not even one iota of luck was involved with the Pegulas), burn down that straw man, and maybe write us all off as ignorant ijits.

Just my guess, maybe a bad guess.  But most of us can sound pretty foolish when we get emotionally wrought up about a topic.  And jw is a genuinely fine writer and seems pretty astute overall.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Jesus John, wth are you even talking about? . i don't  care how Terry made his money, he made it. Seems like you all resent that for some reason

Besides that,Josh came in here and heard it loud clear..his would be customers hated these guys. And I am sure he hears that from the mountaintops. You may think we are all idiots, but we pay the bills.

Christ, i even cancelled the day after the loser column..and the CS rep who I spoke with said..yep, we got a ton of those today.

These guys hurt business..plain and simple. 

If that’s true, I’ve lost a large amount of respect for some of the people here.

And you can complain to my boss if you like. 

I simply don’t care.

jw

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That's a bit harsh.  Journalists are an endangered species because of the demise of local papers so emotions are in play when you see colleagues go.  But still responses could certainly be less combative.

The only people who believe journalists are an endangered species are those who have little or no value for the truth.

Good luck with that.

jw

Just now, john wawrow said:

If that’s true, I’ve lost a large amount of respect for some of the people here.

And you can complain to my boss if you like. 

I simply don’t care.

jw

Best for you not to be here if you can't have frank and open debate then.  I'm sorry your friends lost their job, I really am.  But that doens't give you the right to act like a dick on here.  And you can tell your boss I said so.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think what jw writes are properly referred to as "columns".  I may not be ginned up on the latest journalistic lingo, but I think what he writes are referred to as news articles, with 2 verified sources per AP standards, and an attempt to be objective and factual.

In this forum at this time, he seems kind of bent on being either disingenuous or provocative or both.  I believe it may be because Sullivan and Gleason are both his friends, he respects them, and he finds it hard to process/accept the dislike their work over the last decade+ has engendered in some fans.  It's kind of easier to impute an extreme position to someone (not even one iota of luck was involved with the Pegulas), burn down that straw man, and maybe write us all off as ignorant ijits.

Just my guess, maybe a bad guess.  But most of us can sound pretty foolish when we get emotionally wrought up about a topic.  And jw is a genuinely fine writer and seems pretty astute overall.

I have no respect for Promo, given his pie in the sky blinders and one-trick pony pitchfork and torches approach to those many in the media who don’t bend to his will.

I don’t. Also don’t care.

jw

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just my guess, maybe a bad guess.  But most of us can sound pretty foolish when we get emotionally worked up.

Yeah but the thing is, he isn't good at it.  The idea would be to match wits and counter argue, right? Not to make easily falsifiable, plainly incorrect posts that mis-state what was said.

On an even playing field John Wowrow should be able to crush the board in a debate because this is his area of expertise. He could even slip by lies as truth and we wouldn't know if it was about a specific area of his business. Instead he is getting slammed and seeming petty.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie