What are your plans for this weekend?

mead107

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

Our last pool in Florida was salt water. It was AWESOME! I’m glad we had a husband/wife team to take care of it....and it was NOT us. It was about $80/month and worth every penny. My buddy tried to do his own pool once, and it was a disaster. Have to know what you’re doing. 

We’re three years in our home with a pool , and it’s starting to get annoying. Not that it takes a lot of time other than the first week, but it’s one more thing. The woman we bought the house from said she didn’t enjoy the pool until someone was taking care of it for her. I thinks she’s onto something. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We're just the opposite. I'm in the pool daily, especially since pool season is only like 8 weeks in NH. Long story why but I let the pool sit untreated for too long and I would up with a massive algae bloom. I know how to treat it but it's a pain in the rear because you have to take the filter apart once, if not twice, to unclog all the dead algae.

We’re in it almost daily too. Just crank the heater and tire out my daughter. It does suck to have a June to September season though. 

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, teef said:

Were three years in our home with a pool , and it’s stsrting to get annoying. Not that it takes a lot of time other than the first week, but it’s one more thing. The woman we bought the house from said she didn’t enjoy the pool until someone was taking care of it for her. I thinks she’s onto something. 

We’re in it almost daily too. Just crank the heater and tire out my daughter. It does suck to have a June to September season though. 

When the kids were young they were in there daily. I hope social services isn’t listening in, or the statute of limitations has expired, but that and a squirt with the outdoor shower head was sometimes their “bath”. 

47 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

We (and by we, I mean my wife) are big believers in a lot of chlorine and fungicide. We occasionally get a green tint, but never an algae bloom. However, this year I may have to replace the lever for the valves on top of the filter mechanism. The lever is hard to move and leaks. Not looking forward to it. 

We use a product called Enjoy. It's pricy but it keeps the water perfect...assuming you don't let it get out of hand in the first place. The other "secret" is a D.E. filter. I learned that the hard way, using sand filters for years.

Usually I stay treating the water immediately but we had a lot of yard work done and I put it off, assuming the water was to cold for algae. Wrong.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

When the kids were young they were in there daily. I hope social services isn’t listening in, or the statute of limitations has expired, but that and a squirt with the outdoor shower head was sometimes their “bath”. 

With the amount of chlorine I put in our pool...I don’t think there’s a single germ on our daughter when she gets out. She may smell like chemicals, but that’s childhood. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Our last pool in Florida was salt water. It was AWESOME! I’m glad we had a husband/wife team to take care of it....and it was NOT us. It was about $80/month and worth every penny. My buddy tried to do his own pool once, and it was a disaster. Have to know what you’re doing. 

My brother in Florida converted his pool to salt water. He has a service come and take care of it. It’s great. 

Bringing my son to the NCAA lacrosse championship in Foxboro tomorrow.  Ticket prices dropped more than 65% since before the final 4.  Got lower level, 45 yard line, 10 rows up for $44/ticket.  Right behind the team bench areas.  I’m super pumped about this.  Looking to make this a tradition with my boy.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

On 5/26/2018 at 3:59 PM, BringBackFergy said:

I just passed a Fire Department one town over and their sign outside read “Remember a Veteran this weekend”. Seems awfully warm for November round these parts. 

In their defense, "remember" as opposed to "thank" probably means one that's passed on.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, teef said:

We’re three years in our home with a pool , and it’s starting to get annoying. Not that it takes a lot of time other than the first week, but it’s one more thing. The woman we bought the house from said she didn’t enjoy the pool until someone was taking care of it for her. I thinks she’s onto something. 

It is a guessing game with the pool but over the years you learn a few tricks.  What is nice now is we had a few trees around our house but they died from that ash disease so no leaves or anything get into the pool now & it is pretty easy to maintain.  I did drop a ton of money on it this year as I got a new liner, new heater & new sand filter,   The bill was over 7 grand for everything, but the pool looks great & the heater works awesome, so much better than my old one. 

Also I know you got a little one on the way, be careful with that pool man.  It only takes a second once they start walking to fall in.  I was nervous wreck about that until my kids got to be about 4 & they knew how to hold their own in the water.   

Edited by Gordio