Did Brandon have a minor stake in the team?

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are tons of people in the front office with 6 figure pay checks. RB’s pay check was in the 7 figures. 

Yeah, I think all of us peons have trouble really understanding how much money is involved here.   

I knew a guy whose brother was an NFL assistant coach.   He had been in the league for about 18 years, and he was hopeful he'd last to 20 (and I think he did), because at 20 his full assistant coach's pension would kick in, which I believe was in the mid-six figures.   

I don't know, but I'd guess the CEO, GM and Head Coach are the only ones in seven figures (maybe the coordinators, too), and the assistants and at least a handful of other front office people are in six figures.  On the other hand, a lot of the staff gets paid peanuts.   They take the job, even though the pay is low, because they want to be involved with the team.  After a while, the glamour wears off and they realize they're working hard for not a lot of dough, so they move on.    One problem with a lot of the lower-paying jobs with the Bills is that you have to work during the games, so you don't get paid much and you can't watch your favorite team.   I look at all the security staff at the games, standing with their backs to the playing field, and I wonder if I would have the discipline to turn my back to the game.  

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I think all of us peons have trouble really understanding how much money is involved here.   

I knew a guy whose brother was an NFL assistant coach.   He had been in the league for about 18 years, and he was hopeful he'd last to 20 (and I think he did), because at 20 his full assistant coach's pension would kick in, which I believe was in the mid-six figures.   

I don't know, but I'd guess the CEO, GM and Head Coach are the only ones in seven figures (maybe the coordinators, too), and the assistants and at least a handful of other front office people are in six figures.  On the other hand, a lot of the staff gets paid peanuts.   They take the job, even though the pay is low, because they want to be involved with the team.  After a while, the glamour wears off and they realize they're working hard for not a lot of dough, so they move on.    One problem with a lot of the lower-paying jobs with the Bills is that you have to work during the games, so you don't get paid much and you can't watch your favorite team.   I look at all the security staff at the games, standing with their backs to the playing field, and I wonder if I would have the discipline to turn my back to the game.  

You are probably in the neighborhood on some of it. When I started I made $8 an hour (plus commission) and did miserable work. When I go my out it was a lot different. There are probably (at least) 30 or so front office people (not including the football side) that are in the 6 figures. It’s roughly 30% of the staff I would say. It ranges from low to mid six figures depending on the role. All of the assistants are paid that way as well. There is a large disparity though between the top and bottom. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You are probably in the neighborhood on some of it. When I started I made $8 an hour (plus commission) and did miserable work. When I go my out it was a lot different. There are probably (at least) 30 or so front office people (not including the football side) that are in the 6 figures. It’s roughly 30% of the staff I would say. It ranges from low to mid six figures depending on the role. All of the assistants are paid that way as well. There is a large disparity though between the top and bottom. 

That sounds right.   Frankly, not a lot different from a lot of employers, except that it's a little more top-heavy in a pro football team.    Most companies with 200-300 on the payroll only have a few in the mid-six figures.  

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would imagine that he received a payout when the team was sold. Additionally, he may have had a small stake. I have a friend that has a small stake in an NHL franchise as part of his compensation package. He dreads the cash calls though because his net worth is minuscule in proportion to everyone else involved. 

This surprises me. I would think with the amount of cash flow a professional team has that there wouldnt be cash calls at that level. I guess big businesses have the same problems as us small businesses. 

3 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

This surprises me. I would think with the amount of cash flow a professional team has that there wouldnt be cash calls at that level. I guess big businesses have the same problems as us small businesses. 

Ha ha, they are definitely there in the NHL. I shouldn’t laugh at it but he takes a beating every time. They aren’t that significant but it is still a big check for him.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, they are definitely there in the NHL. I shouldn’t laugh at it but he takes a beating every time. They aren’t that significant but it is still a big check for him.

I hope he is paid back fairly quickly otherwise it may not be that much of a compensation package. I have to put back into my buisness sometimes but it is just until receivables catch back up with payables. 

• Like (+1) 1

He might have, but there's no way the Pegulas didn't buy 100% of the Bills.

In most capital structures, there are stipulations that if a certain % of the owners agree to sell the business, the minority owners are obligated to do so as well.

5 hours ago, mannc said:

I thought that would be against league rules, that the franchises can only be owned by one person (except for the Packers, who were grandfathered in), right?

No - that is incorrect.

Lots of teams have multiple owners - majority and minority stakes.  

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would imagine that he received a payout when the team was sold. Additionally, he may have had a small stake. I have a friend that has a small stake in an NHL franchise as part of his compensation package. He dreads the cash calls though because his net worth is minuscule in proportion to everyone else involved. 

I had a friend who was the largest owner of the Phoenix Coyotes for a few years.  They bleed cash like you won't believe, financially ruined him  he eventually had to get out for a massive loss.  One of the reasons he committed suicide last year.

I don think the same is anywhere near true for any NFL franchise, you would have to be pretty incompetent in cash flow management to have a call.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, T master said:

When you make at least a 6 figure pay check for a company i'd say yah they have a piece of the team !! 

Cowboys estimated at $4.5 Billion in worth, that 6 figure pay check for a few years isn't even chicken feed.

Wealth is way more forceful than a good year's paycheck for 6 figures.

All over the league.  

The new owner of the Panthers had to sell his minority share of the Steelers.

Haslam - Browns owner was also a minority owner of the Steelers before buying the Browns.

The Mara family in NYG was a majority owner with other owners - Tisch family I believe.

The Dolphins have had numerous celebrity minority owners including a group led by Gloria Estefan.  The list goes on and on.

Look up NFL Ownership:

There are at least 12 teams owned by ownership groups with 1 person acting as the designated owner.

see below for just a small bit of rules.

Ownership restrictionsEdit

The NFL forbids religious groups, governments, and non-profit organizations owning a team. The NFL forbids ownership groups of over 24 people or any publicly traded corporations from purchasing NFL teams; one team, the Green Bay Packers, is exempt from this under a grandfather clause and is owned by shareholders. The Houston Texans are also grandfathered in for their home county–the Harris County, Texas government–which owns 5% of the team, as the rule forbidding governments from owning a team became effective in 2007. The NFL's constitution also forbids its owners from owning any other professional football teams, except for Arena Football League teams located in the NFL team's home market. In addition, the controlling owners of NFL teams are only permitted to own major league baseball, basketball and hockey teams if they are in the NFL team's home market, or are not located in other NFL cities.[2] (Stan Kroenke, who owned hockey and basketball teams in Denver, was nonetheless unanimously allowed to buy the then-St. Louis Rams in 2010 and hold on to his Denver assets until 2015, and even then the Denver assets were transferred to his wife Ann.)[3]Soccer has been exempt from these restrictions since 1982, when the league lost a lawsuit challenging them filed by the original NASL stemming from the investments of Kansas City Chiefsowner Lamar Hunt and Elizabeth Robbie, the wife of Miami Dolphins owner Joe Robbie in NASL teams;[4] as a result, NFL owners have owned teams in MLS in other NFL markets.

Edited by Rochesterfan

..only one in the history of the franchise to have a stake in ownership was Littmann who got 1% gratis from Ralph.....walked away with a cool $14 mil when Pegula bought the club.....Brandon had zero stake but a hefty contract (which now went adios...)

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Such as?

All you need is one owner that can hold at least 30% of the equity in the team.   

Pittsburgh is one example:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers#Ownership

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon Dan Rooney's death in 2017, he and Art Rooney II retained control of the team with the league-minimum 30%, the following make up the other investors:

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..only one in the history of the franchise to have a stake in ownership was Littmann who got 1% gratis from Ralph.....walked away with a cool $14 mil when Pegula bought the club.....Brandon had zero stake but a hefty contract (which now went adios...)

Mary Owen didn’t have a stake?