Summer Concert Roll Call

billsfanmiami(oh)

On 8/10/2018 at 11:07 PM, Gugny said:

Saw the Fab Four (Beatles tribute) tonight.  They were awesome.  Only a two-hour show, but they packed a lot in.  Definitely crowd pleasers, playing for the average Beatles fan.

I wish they would do shows that play one or two entire albums so the shows wouldn't be exclusively chart-toppers.  They're easily good enough to pull off any album in its entirety.  

Looks, sounds, mannerisms ... all spot on.  Very impressive.

A few years back, I saw another tribute band called Sgt. Peppers and thought they were great.  Fab Four completely blew them out of the water.

Even though it lacked some of their better music, it was a hell of a fun night and I highly recommend it to any Beatles fan. 

I loved the Fab Four. Felt the same way though. Doesn't necessarily need to be a full album, but more B-Sides, etc. Saw a local Houston tribute (Called the Fab 5, because they have a fifth guy on synth/keyboards for the stuff that just can't be done live) who did the full Sgt. Pepper album with a full orchestra behind them. Even had a full Indian band for Within You Without You. There's one I've been wanting to checkout called 1964 that I've been wanting to check out. They play about a 2 hour show or so, but they only play stuff that was recorded before they stopped touring. So lots of B-Sides, but only the early stuff.

I did see a group called Classic Albums Live on Friday. They played a note for note re-creation of The Wall album, complete with strings, female backup vocals, and a children's chorus for Another Brick in the Wall pt 2. It was perfect. Even played a bonus Great Gig in the Sky. They tour all of North America, and do more than just Floyd. Also went to the same venue the next night to see the Keifer Sutherland Band. Pretty good if you're a fan of traditional country music. 

• Like (+1) 1

A summer concert, in theory, but in reality...no. I saw Randy Newman about a week ago (he's only playing two shows, one here in Santa Rosa and another in LA last time I checked). Awesome show! I know a handful of Randy Newman songs, some he didn't even play. Even the songs I didn't know, were dang good. Something about a piano, a gruff voice and I was mesmerized. I came away hooked on his songs, many are new to me. Excellent song writer, a bit of dark humor...if you ever get the chance, go for it. 

4 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

A summer concert, in theory, but in reality...no. I saw Randy Newman about a week ago (he's only playing two shows, one here in Santa Rosa and another in LA last time I checked). Awesome show! I know a handful of Randy Newman songs, some he didn't even play. Even the songs I didn't know, were dang good. Something about a piano, a gruff voice and I was mesmerized. I came away hooked on his songs, many are new to me. Excellent song writer, a bit of dark humor...if you ever get the chance, go for it. 

It's so cool how a live performance can provide such an appreciation for an artist.

I remember watching the Grammys when Norah Jones won best album.  I'd never heard of her.  Her performance instantly made me a fan, even though I wasn't there.

So many times performers hold back during studio recordings due to record label constraints/directives.  Seeing them live gives us a chance to see who they really are and gives them a chance to show us.

It's a beautiful thing.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Going to see the Houston Symphony play a John Williams tribute next month. 

Saw one a while back.  It was a lot of fun.  To Jurassic Park and star wars From shaving private Ryan and Schindler's list... Great show.

Just a lot of fun.  They had some people dressed up as star wars dudes and a dinosaur come out and chase the conductor

14 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Saw one a while back.  It was a lot of fun.  To Jurassic Park and star wars From shaving private Ryan and Schindler's list... Great show.

Just a lot of fun.  They had some people dressed up as star wars dudes and a dinosaur come out and chase the conductor

Star wars? Is that the one about the little wizard boy?

I think I'm done with concerts for the year.

A bunch of my buddies are planning a trip to Buffalo to see Joe Bonamassa in late October.  Between the ticket, travel and hotel, it's just not worth it to me; especially since I'll be forking over serious coin for a Bills game a few weeks prior.  Why he only has two NY dates - both of which in Buffalo - is beside me.

Melissa Etheridge is playing in Albany, at the Egg, which seats less than 2,000.  Perfect setting for her (I've seen her three times in small, medium and large venues), but the tickets are like $100.  No !@#$ing way.

57 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Star wars? Is that the one about the little wizard boy?

the_wizard_poster_5.jpg?itok=ed3mi7N4

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A bunch of my buddies are planning a trip to Buffalo to see Joe Bonamassa in late October.  Between the ticket, travel and hotel, it's just not worth it to me; especially since I'll be forking over serious coin for a Bills game a few weeks prior.  Why he only has two NY dates - both of which in Buffalo - is beside me.

Melissa Etheridge is playing in Albany, at the Egg, which seats less than 2,000.  Perfect setting for her (I've seen her three times in small, medium and large venues), but the tickets are like $100.  No !@#$ing way.

I don't know that I can afford anymore

Gonna try to pull off Metallica when in buffalo.

And saving big for Fleetwood Mac this winter.

I am curious if you could wait until cheaper to find tickets cheaper. I'm sure you'll be able to find last minute tickets on SH.

Edit:. 3rd paragraph cut off

Edited by Boyst62

Elton is in Houston in December. Tickets started at like 59 dollars. But they had an American Express customer pre sale, and I couldn't find anybody who had one in time. So now the cheapest seats are like $200+. I'll have to settle for the tribute I'm going to see tomorrow night, assuming some sort of miracle doesn't happen with a wedding gift.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Elton is in Houston in December. Tickets started at like 59 dollars. But they had an American Express customer pre sale, and I couldn't find anybody who had one in time. So now the cheapest seats are like $200+. I'll have to settle for the tribute I'm going to see tomorrow night, assuming some sort of miracle doesn't happen with a wedding gift. 

Seeing him at this point in his career isn't worth anything above two figures, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Kind of a bucket list thing. Allegedly a farewell tour, but I guarantee you two more tours before he actually retires.

Yeah, I totally get the bucket list thing.  He just doesn't sound anything like he used to; as in not one bit.  I can see why people would pay hundreds to see him.  I, personally, could not justify it.

But I'm sure some people feel the same about Macca .... although those people are wrong.

Just now, Gugny said:

Yeah, I totally get the bucket list thing.  He just doesn't sound anything like he used to; as in not one bit.  I can see why people would pay hundreds to see him.  I, personally, could not justify it.

But I'm sure some people feel the same about Macca .... although those people are wrong.

Last time he was in Houston was at the Astros stadium. Sold out before I could get tickets. Then found out my friend with Astros season tickets has access to pre sale, and hasn't been back since. Stones, Elton, Paul are the three major ones I have.

Motorhead was. Last time they were in town, Buddy Guy was here a week before, so I opted for him. Figured Buddy Guy is old and may be gone at any time, where Lemmy had at least 5-10 years left. Hindsight's 20/20.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

My take on Bonamassa is great guitar player, shite front man, he shouldn’t be singing. I’d go see him with Beth Hart but his shows are a little pricey. 

26 minutes ago, Rico said:

My take on Bonamassa is great guitar player, shite front man, he shouldn’t be singing. I’d go see him with Beth Hart but his shows are a little pricey. 

Beth Hart is absolutely phenomenal in concert.  Blew me away.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

He'll be in Westbury, NY next March. Strange venue, its in the round and the stage will be rotating throughout the show. 

I'm done with summer concerts, but might head indoors for Magpie Salute n September and Steven Wilson in December.

• 3 years later...

It's not even halfway through January but I already have booked: 

2 x Umphrey's McGee (1 x Red Rocks, 1 x Dillon Amphitheatre which is a spectacular newer Colorado venue) 

2 x Tedeschi Trucks Band at Red Rocks 

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets at Paramount Theatre Denver

Roger Waters "This Is Not a Drill" at Ball Arena Denver 

Pretty insane that tickets are already on sale for these events so many months in advance 

but if you don't want to get gouged by the secondary market this is the only way to go

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just bought tickets for my son (and me) to see Korn and Chevelle in March.  Night after his birthday, so that works great.

Girlfriend and I have tix to see Joan Jett in April (postponed from last year) and looking forward to that.

Really want to see Jack White, but he's doing a goddamned arena tour.  I can't justify spending over 100 bucks on a ticket to watch a jumbotron.  Eff that.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.