Net Neutrality gets a reprieve

Now it has to go to the House and then to the President for signing.  Chances of it passing the house are slim.  Chances of the President signing it into law if it passes the house are slimmer. 

Edited by JoeF

17 hours ago, JoeF said:

Now it has to go to the House and then to the President for signing.  Chances of it passing the house are slim.  Chances of the President signing it into law if it passes the house are slimmer. 

So once again, Congress is just gathering dust!

11 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

So once again, Congress is just gathering dust!

Citizen feedback moved the Senate.  My local house member is already on board but if I was passionate about the issue (which we should be) I would be writing my house member today...the letters to house members are around 10 to 1 in favor of keeping the rules in place.

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Has it kicked in yet... The dismantling of rules?  Would people have noticed?  I ask that because...

June 11th is the date... it's a valid question...Verizon, ATT, CenturyLink/Level3, Comcast, Charter, etc. have alluded to some commitment that they won't manage traffic any differently than they do today.  However, I don't know whether I believe that if a provider has a competitive movie streaming service that they will treat Netflix packets the same as their own movie streaming packets.  Will they upgrade routers and switches in SuperNaps that peer with Netflix??   They could also make NetFlix pay for priority access and then Netflix passes this along to subscribers.  That's what this comes down to-- do you trust the large ISPs to treat all traffic the same even if they offer their own competitive service or see a revenue stream from charing content providers.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Didn't Paul Ryan say he's not going to offer the bill for a vote?  If that's true, it's dead.

Yep.  He has in the past voiced support for the FCC rolling back the rules.  There is an effort to work around him..

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/388084-dem-rep-to-launch-discharge-petition-to-force-net-neutrality-vote-in-house

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Has it kicked in yet... The dismantling of rules?  Would people have noticed?  I ask that because...

Usually on these issues, I find it easier to simply oppose the people who are using the most extreme rhetoric to defend their position.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Yep.  He has in the past voiced support for the FCC rolling back the rules.  There is an effort to work around him..

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/388084-dem-rep-to-launch-discharge-petition-to-force-net-neutrality-vote-in-house

I wish he would just leave!  He's already said that he won't run again.  He still gets his full Congressional pay and benefits FOR LIFE.  He should leave now, if he won't do his job. What's his point?

I'm terrified of the Internet returning to like it was in 2008!  Please, please, don't allow free market capitalism!  Dear, God no!  Let's make it a utility!  Let's regulate it!  We need more government to save our internets!

17 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I'm terrified of the Internet returning to like it was in 2008!  Please, please, don't allow free market capitalism!  Dear, God no!  Let's make it a utility!  Let's regulate it!  We need more government to save our internets!

Shouldn't this be re-directed to the "re-directed political bull ****" section of PPP?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, JoeF said:

June 11th is the date... it's a valid question...Verizon, ATT, CenturyLink/Level3, Comcast, Charter, etc. have alluded to some commitment that they won't manage traffic any differently than they do today.  However, I don't know whether I believe that if a provider has a competitive movie streaming service that they will treat Netflix packets the same as their own movie streaming packets.  Will they upgrade routers and switches in SuperNaps that peer with Netflix??   They could also make NetFlix pay for priority access and then Netflix passes this along to subscribers.  That's what this comes down to-- do you trust the large ISPs to treat all traffic the same even if they offer their own competitive service or see a revenue stream from charing content providers.

They're paying a shitload for lobbyists against Net Neutrality for them to do nothing when it's gone.

10 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Net Neutrality has always been stupid.  Now more stupid people want it because the media is telling them to. 

23 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

4 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Getting rid of Met Neutrality was the right move. Don’t bring it back

Do any of you know what net Neutrality is?

• Like (+1) 1