May Movies: Deadpool, Solo, Overboard, & Breaking In

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Interested? Not really, but I did it. Because... Star Wars.

I thought Rogue One was decent.

For me, Solo is a tough sell. All I can see is Harrison Ford at 35 playing the quintessential rogue. He just did it so well. Alden Ehrenreich "may" end up being very good in the role,  but he's never gonna be Harrison Ford as Han Solo.

Yeah, I just don't get how any Star Wars wouldn't want to see the Han Solo movie.

I thought Nicholson was awesome as the Joker, but I still gave Heath Ledger a chance. Because Batman.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2018 at 12:40 PM, The Poojer said:

isn't overboard an old goldie hawn/kurt russell film?

It is. We went last weekend. It's not as good but not as horrible as I thought it was going to be. They switch it up so it isn't a rich B word (Hawn) anymore it's a spoiled rich dude. Hollywood won't show a woman in any negative way lol. At least not a lead.  Going in I expected a 2/10 and got a 4.5/10. Not bad enough for me to want to walk out. Not good enough to recommend or watch again.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:37 AM, dpberr said:

"Book Club" sounds like the kind of movie you could torture prisoners with and they'd be 1) begging for mercy and 2) telling you what you want to know within 45 minutes.  

A month or so ago, one of my wife's friends wanted to get a bunch of girls together to go watch this premier night.

Wife was dreading the text that may come if this horrible plan came together as the opening approached. I saw the anxious look on her face every time a "Book Club" commercial was on tv. Thankfully, for the wife, something fell apart and the girls night out to endure the "Book Club" never came off. 

Part of me wanted her to be forced to watch that thing then she would know how it feels to be dragged to a dog of a movie. 

No one should have to go see this though. Just not right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I hope it delivers, but right now, any time I see an ad, all I see is some kids in halloween costumes.  Obviously it had to be done, but I don't know how you replace Harrison Ford.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Interested? Not really, but I did it. Because... Star Wars.

I thought Rogue One was decent.

For me, Solo is a tough sell. All I can see is Harrison Ford at 35 playing the quintessential rogue. He just did it so well. Alden Ehrenreich "may" end up being very good in the role,  but he's never gonna be Harrison Ford as Han Solo.

This is not the approach you should have for this movie. We all know that Harrison Ford will always be Han Solo, but you're only setting yourself up to hate this movie, because Harrison Ford is not in it.

Give it a chance, and see what Alden Ehrenreich can do. Because you might have to get used to him. From what I have read, they want to make two more Solo movies with him.

13 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

This is not the approach you should have for this movie. We all know that Harrison Ford will always be Han Solo, but you're only setting yourself up to hate this movie, because Harrison Ford is not in it.

Give it a chance, and see what Alden Ehrenreich can do. Because you might have to get used to him. From what I have read, they want to make two more Solo movies with him.

I'm going to give it a chance at some point, but I may wait a while.  I cannot escape from this view of the movie for now.  The last time someone replaced Ford it was, what, Ben Affleck?  That didn't work out so well.  Then there was the attempt to replace him with Shia Labouf.  We're not off to a great start here.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'm going to give it a chance at some point, but I may wait a while.  I cannot escape from this view of the movie for now.  The last time someone replaced Ford it was, what, Ben Affleck?  That didn't work out so well.  Then there was the attempt to replace him with Shia Labouf.  We're not off to a great start here.

Great points.

Although in this situation I don't see it as Ford being replaced, because they are about young Han Solo.

5 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I would say on par

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I thought it was better in every way and the first movie is one of my all time favorites (yes, I have very low standards for what entertains me).

I thought it was on par with the first movie.

Ryan Reynolds will probably never find a better role to play than this character. Those post credit scenes were hilarious.

12 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I thought it was on par with the first movie.

Ryan Reynolds will probably never find a better role to play than this character. Those post credit scenes were hilarious.

haha just curious, did they have the "Your welcome Canada" line in the States?

50 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

haha just curious, did they have the "Your welcome Canada" line in the States?

It did in mine.

I was surprised there was no end credit scene. Later, I heard it was cut because some people were triggered.

Edited by unbillievable

Saw Deadpool last night.  Great film, I wouldn't put it entirely on par with the first but IMO it's very close.

Two red band trailers in my screening, one for Happytime Murders and one for Sorry to Bother You.

13 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Saw Deadpool last night.  Great film, I wouldn't put it entirely on par with the first but IMO it's very close.

Two red band trailers in my screening, one for Happytime Murders and one for Sorry to Bother You.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those were the two red band trailers I got too.  That's the first time I've seen one of those in a theater.

I saw Deadpool this past weekend, I'd say it is maybe on par with the first if only a little less. Where it falls down a bit for me is the plot, his character journey in the movie is a bit forced. The comedy is gold though and probably better than the first.