MMQB: Why the Browns are making a mistake with Baker Mayfield (by starting Tyrod)

I see both sides in that they really mishandled DeShone Kizer as a rookie and feel they need to do it differently this time. Yet, I don’t see why you need to declare anyone the starter this early since all 3 QBs are brand new to the team anyway. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How is that not comparable? That's pretty close to the situation between Taylor/Mayfield and the Browns currently. People are saying they overpaid for Taylor and the word out of Cleveland's FO is that Taylor's the starter.

Yes, Taylor was an efficient quarterback. Nobody disputes that.

Let me repeat this for you, again.

Matt Flynn was signed by Seattle with the intent of being the starter and franchise guy.

Wilson was drafted in the third as backup, maybe insurance for Flynn.

Tyrod Taylor was traded for with intent of being the bridge.

Baker Mayfield was the #1 overall pick and fully expected to be the franchise starter.

They are not comparable.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Let me repeat this for you, again.

Matt Flynn was signed by Seattle with the intent of being the starter and franchise guy.

Wilson was drafted in the third as backup, maybe insurance for Flynn.

Tyrod Taylor was traded for with intent of being the bridge.

Baker Mayfield was the #1 overall pick and fully expected to be the franchise starter.

They are not comparable.

So, just to clarify:

Flynn was signed by Seattle with the intent of being the starter.

Taylor was signed by Cleveland with the intent of being the starter.

Wilson was drafted by the Seahawks that year to presumably back up Flynn.

Mayfield was drafted by the Browns that year to presumably back up Taylor.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I see both sides in that they really mishandled DeShone Kizer as a rookie and feel they need to do it differently this time. Yet, I don’t see why you need to declare anyone the starter this early since all 3 QBs are brand new to the team anyway. 

It's the Browns.

They are like the Kings in the NBA.

I doesn't matter who is running the team or who they get as players, it's a complete tire fire.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Exactly. The flip side of this is some teams having the ride or die mentality with playing the qb you spent a high draft pick on even when he’s been outperformed by a backup. 

Its backwards thinking. 

You should play play the best qb on the team regardless of draft status, youth, etc...

if a guys ready I think you could actually set him back in his progression sitting him. All you’re really training them to do is be a backup. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn't think it was a mistake for the Bungles to sit Carson Palmer behind John Kitna his rookie season, and I don't think it's a mistake to sit Mayfield for his rookie season.

That said, if he beats out Tyrod at camp and shows that he's ready to run an NFL offense (including reading defenses/adjusting protections/etc.), he should start week 1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

I wanted Hue over Rex when the Bills hired Rex...I now see the Bills couldn't have made a good choice with either finalist...Its not this decision alone its the way he has to grab attention and use his media friends to feed his ego.  Give me an understated, humble coach.

You are singing my song.  I, too wanted Hue over Rex

I was wrong

I have no doubt that Baker will play his way onto the field this year. He will outperform Tyrod in camp, in preseason, and then when he gets his chance to start. Tyrod may start week 1 for the sake of being a veteran, but I bet by week 4 Mayfield is getting his run. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

So, just to clarify:

Flynn was signed by Seattle with the intent of being the starter.

Taylor was signed by Cleveland with the intent of being the starter.

Wilson was drafted by the Seahawks that year to presumably back up Flynn.

Mayfield was drafted by the Browns that year to presumably back up Taylor.

No.

You are over simplifying and ignoring facts to fit your narrative.

Flynn was signed with intent on being the long term starter, with Wilson intended to be the 3rd round drafted backup.

Tyrod was traded for with intent on being the short term/bridge starter, with the #1 overall pick Baker Mayfield being selected to be the franchise, long term starter as soon as he is ready.

Your simplification is like saying a Chevrolet Corvette and a Ford festival are "comparable" in that they are "both cars with 4 wheels"

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Eh I get it. Mayfield comes from a spread offense and needs to work on his footwork. They don't need to rush him into the starting spot, they can afford to spend at least half a season developing him. The Browns aren't good yet. They're paying Tyrod $16 million to be a capable bridge starter. I kind of wish we would do a similar thing with Allen.

How do you know the Bills aren't going to do the same thing as the Browns are by starting the veteran? I see McCarron being the starter. 

Sometime in the season Mayfield is going to get on the field. Odds are after that he will remain the starter. The longer that Cleveland continues to vie for a playoff spot the longer TT remains the starter. Once they are close to be officially out of the running Mayfield will become their starter for the foreseeable future.  

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

No.

You are over simplifying and ignoring facts to fit your narrative.

Flynn was signed with intent on being the long term starter, with Wilson intended to be the 3rd round drafted backup.

Tyrod was traded for with intent on being the short term/bridge starter, with the #1 overall pick Baker Mayfield being selected to be the franchise, long term starter as soon as he is ready.

Your simplification is like saying a Chevrolet Corvette and a Ford festival are "comparable" in that they are "both cars with 4 wheels"

So because Flynn signed a 3 year deal it makes it wholly different from Taylor's 2 year deal? I see no evidence the Browns view Taylor any differently than the Seahawks did Flynn. 

As to the bolded: it's obviously a simplification. Are you trying to say that two different cars (or anything, for that matter) shouldn't be compared? Consumer Reports must drive you nuts.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How do you know the Bills aren't going to do the same thing as the Browns are by starting the veteran? I see McCarron being the starter. 

Sometime in the season Mayfield is going to get on the field. Odds are after that he will remain the starter. The longer that Cleveland continues to vie for a playoff spot the longer TT remains the starter. Once they are close to be officially out of the running Mayfield will become their starter for the foreseeable future.  

The Bills are probably going to end up starting McCarron, but publically they are saying the starting job is open. I dont think they are committed to starting McCarron. This is the team that benched the starter and started a 5th rd rookie on the road against one of the best pass rushes in the league. Not sure they care if they are starting a rookie too soon if they believe he’s the best option at that time. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So because Flynn signed a 3 year deal it makes it wholly different from Taylor's 2 year deal? I see no evidence the Browns view Taylor any differently than the Seahawks did Flynn. 

As to the bolded: it's obviously a simplification. Are you trying to say that two different cars (or anything, for that matter) shouldn't be compared? Consumer Reports must drive you nuts.

Calling something "comparable" isn't the same thing as "comparing one thing to another"

"Comparable" means they are similar/alike, or right equivalent

"Comparing one thing to another" is looking at their similarities and differences

They are not the same thing

Tyrod/Mayfield is not "comparable" to Flynn/Wilson

Flynn was signed to be the franchise starter long term. This was reported on by literally every news source, and stated by Seattle.

Tyrod was traded for to be the 1-2 year starter at most until they felt Mayfield was ready

I have said this like 4 times now.

Your reading comprehension isn't very good.

Edited by SouthNYfan

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills are probably going to end up starting McCarron, but publically they are saying the starting job is open. 

I agree with your comment. They have to say the job is open because if Peterman outplays McCarron in camp and preseason he will be the starter. No one at this stage can say for sure who is going to be the qb but odds are it is going to be McCarron. I don't see this staff starting Allen right away even if he outplays or plays as well as the other two qbs. They simply have too much invested in him and the future to risk playing him right away. That's my current fluid opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I didn't think it was a mistake for the Bungles to sit Carson Palmer behind John Kitna his rookie season, and I don't think it's a mistake to sit Mayfield for his rookie season.

That said, if he beats out Tyrod at camp and shows that he's ready to run an NFL offense (including reading defenses/adjusting protections/etc.), he should start week 1.

I agree the better player should start.  The question is can Mayfield prove he can read defenses while playing generic pre-season defenses?

On the other hand can you learn from the bench?