MMQB: Why the Browns are making a mistake with Baker Mayfield (by starting Tyrod)

Hue Jackson reiterates: “Tyrod Taylor’s the starting quarterback of this football team, and that won’t change.”
This is misguided political correctness spiraling out of control. Jackson feels he has to say this because Taylor will be 29 in August and has paid his NFL dues; he doesn’t want the 23-year-old Baker Mayfield to look entitled. But it’s not like Taylor is a tested veteran who’s beloved in Cleveland’s locker room—he just arrived a few months ago. The Browns traded the 65th overall pick to get him. They spent the first overall pick on Mayfield. A safe assumption is the Browns spent 10,000% more time and effort researching Mayfield than they did Taylor. They’ve trumpeted Mayfield’s football IQ and natural leadership. If they actually believe in their scouting process, why not declare Mayfield the starter right now? Why give even one of No. 1 pick’s reps to the guy you acquired with the 65th pick?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/11/mistake-browns-are-making-baker-mayfield

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Minicamps haven’t even started yet, there’s no way Baker doesn’t beat out Tyrod for the starting job

Hue keeps doubling down saying it won’t happen. QB controversy will be fierce if Baker looks that much better and they don’t play him. 

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Minicamps haven’t even started yet, there’s no way Baker doesn’t beat out Tyrod for the starting job

You are silly to think Mayfield will be better than or even equal to Tyrod by the start of the regular season. Not sure if you are serious or trolling.

As far as the article stating the Browns should declare Mayfield the starter right now shows the author may even have a lower football IQ than you uticaclub.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hue keeps doubling down saying it won’t happen. QB controversy will be fierce if Baker looks that much better and they don’t play him. 

I wanted Hue over Rex when the Bills hired Rex...I now see the Bills couldn't have made a good choice with either finalist...Its not this decision alone its the way he has to grab attention and use his media friends to feed his ego.  Give me an understated, humble coach.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

You are silly to think Mayfield will be better than or even equal to Tyrod by the start of the regular season. Not sure if you are serious or trolling.

As far as the article stating the Browns should declare Mayfield the starter right now shows the author may even have a lower football IQ than you uticaclub.

The author didn’t really say they should just declare Mayfield the starter .... it said they shouldn’t declare TT the starter. They should give mayfield enough reps to possibly become the starter instead of giving him Qb 3 reps and assuming TT should get starter reps all through camp.

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I think it's pretty reasonable to think Mayfield could equal or best Taylor in camp and preseason, like a Wilson/Flynn situation except Mayfield was #1 overall and if things look even between him and Taylor that's added incentive to give him the nod. There's no institutional loyalty to Taylor in Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 3

Eh I get it. Mayfield comes from a spread offense and needs to work on his footwork. They don't need to rush him into the starting spot, they can afford to spend at least half a season developing him. The Browns aren't good yet. They're paying Tyrod $16 million to be a capable bridge starter. I kind of wish we would do a similar thing with Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's pretty reasonable to think Mayfield could equal or best Taylor in camp and preseason, like a Wilson/Flynn situation except Mayfield was #1 overall and if things look even between him and Taylor that's added incentive to give him the nod. There's no institutional loyalty to Taylor in Cleveland.

Nothing like Wilson/Flynn.

As you said Mayfield was the #1 pick.

That's a big difference than what Wilson came into the league as, just in terms of expectations and $$/draft capital committed to him from day 1.

Flynn was basically Rob Johnson 2.0.

He had a total of 2 starts in GB over the previous 2 seasons, including the 6td game at the end of the year before he went to Seattle.

He had ZERO experience compared to Tyrod, who is a relatively known entity.

Tyrod was a proven starter with pro bowls under his belt.

I am glad he's gone, and was not a huge fan, but to compare Flynn to him is insulting to Tyrod.

To think they are even remotely similar is just clueless man.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Nothing like Wilson/Flynn.

As you said Mayfield was the #1 pick.

That's a big difference than what Wilson came into the league as, just in terms of expectations and $$/draft capital committed to him from day 1.

Flynn was basically Rob Johnson 2.0.

He had a total of 2 starts in GB over the previous 2 seasons, including the 6td game at the end of the year before he went to Seattle.

He had ZERO experience compared to Tyrod, who is a relatively known entity.

Tyrod was a proven starter with pro bowls under his belt.

I am glad he's gone, and was not a huge fan, but to compare Flynn to him is insulting to Tyrod.

To think they are even remotely similar is just clueless man.

I was just casting around for a comparable situation and that was the first one that came to mind. It's not totally analogous, obviously. I still think there's merit in looking at how a guy brought in to be a placeholder/bridge can sometimes be overtaken by a rookie. 

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I was just casting around for a comparable situation and that was the first one that came to mind. It's not totally analogous, obviously. I still think there's merit in looking at how a guy brought in to be a placeholder/bridge can sometimes be overtaken by a rookie. 

It's not even comparable though.

When Flynn was signed, Seattle thought he was going to be their franchise guy, and one of Seattle's front office guys was with GB when Flynn was there, and was really high on him.

Wilson was not intended to start,

They actually got panned by many for drafting a QB when they had just signed Flynn to $10mil guaranteed, which was a decent amount back in 2011-2012

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally like the way McBeane are handling the QB thing much better: Allen is slotted at #3 right now, but if he looks like the best QB going through camp that could change.

I personally don't like what Hue Jackson is doing, proclaiming Taylor the starter before they've all made a throw in the building.

But blaming everything on "political correctness spiraling out of control" has...well, gotten out of control.

Pre-draft, you heavily scout players before you invest draft capital because the college game is that different, the adjustment to the pro game is that problematical, and the impact on a guy's character of overnight millions is that challenging to predict.  When you got a guy who has started in the league 3 years, he has already adjusted, millions have already impacted him or not, and you have 3 seasons of NFL game film to watch good and bad.

It's a bullsh*t argument.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

When Taylor had a comparable amount of offensive talent around him in Buffalo as now in Cleveland?

He finished seventh in the NFL by passer rating - ahead of Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger, etc, etc.

Maybe that's worth considering too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2015

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's not even comparable though.

When Flynn was signed, Seattle thought he was going to be their franchise guy, and one of Seattle's front office guys was with GB when Flynn was there, and was really high on him.

Wilson was not intended to start,

They actually got panned by many for drafting a QB when they had just signed Flynn to $10mil guaranteed, which was a decent amount back in 2011-2012

How is that not comparable? That's pretty close to the situation between Taylor/Mayfield and the Browns currently. People are saying they overpaid for Taylor and the word out of Cleveland's FO is that Taylor's the starter.

6 minutes ago, grb said:

When Taylor had a comparable amount of offensive talent around him in Buffalo as now in Cleveland?

He finished seventh in the NFL by passer rating - ahead of Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger, etc, etc.

Maybe that's worth considering too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2015

Yes, Taylor was an efficient quarterback. Nobody disputes that.

The reason that the Browns are going with Tyrod is they need to win now. They are1-32 over the last two years!! With Taylor they win at least 6 games and may contend for a wild card. The whole culture needs to change in Cleveland. Tyrod is there to stabilize and then Baker to elevate them. It’s pretty similar to here in that sense. The Bills are stabilized and now they need to take the next step.

• Like (+1) 1

For those that watched or remembered Taylor at Bills practices, did he excel there?  Did he look like a starter in practice.  Obviously games he always didn't, but did he look great in practice?

The Browns might be in for a shock if Taylor excels in practice and then flops in the games.

I’ve never understood the reasoning behind making a player wait if they’re the obvious winners in training camp. 

Its an archaic way of running a team. There’s no set blueprint. Some players benefit from sitting, some don’t. Forcing a player to sit “just because” it’s myopia at its finest. 

If you win the job you should play. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree Hue Jackson's handling of all this is wrong, but then again, is anyone impressed with the intelligence of Hue Jackson?  He's a dead man walking and will be replaced soon enough in any event.