Taron Johnson can be a steal

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Our whole secondary is in great shape. Not just the starters but the depth, and it's been years since we could say that. It's our overall best position group by far.

It's young too, not something that will be going away in the next 2-3 years.   

I think Siran neal will give him a run for his money at nickel or safety. Huge fan of this draft class, despite the Allen pick. If Edmunds, Phillips, Neal or Johnson work out as well as i think they could, this regimen might get a second chance to draft a QB 

Edited by buffalover4life
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I strongly question this staff’s eye for offensive talent.  I will never question their ability to scout d backs.  If they pick a d back, I believe in them ? 

See, this is what I'm talking about, even with WR. It's a 10x harder to evaluate QB than CB. Same thing with O line. Doubly so with C. If a C is never given a chance to call protections, because the coach does it, then how does he transition to the NFL? It's a dice roll: use the Wonderlic! :rolleyes:

WR shouldn't be hard, but it is now, because colleges refuse to coach them properly. Most WRs in college learn nothing about reading Ds, because the coach does it for them. And, most WRs don't learn all the routs, because the coach only wants them to run 3. This makes evaluating a WR, in terms of success in NFL, very difficult. So, difficult, that this past draft only a handful of WRs were taken in the first 2 rounds...compared to years past. NFL teams have learned their lesson: college coaching is simplistic, and often debilitating to a WR's game.

Thus, this is not "this staff's" problem as much as it is a problem for all staffs. 

Edited by OCinBuffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

See, this is what I'm talking about, even with WR. It's a 10x harder to evaluate QB than CB. Same thing with O line. Doubly so with C. If a C is never given a chance to call protections, because the coach does it, then how does he transition to the NFL? It's a dice roll: use the Wonderlic! :rolleyes:

WR shouldn't be hard, but it is now, because colleges refuse to coach them properly. Most WRs in college learn nothing about reading Ds, because the coach does it for them. And, most WRs don't learn all the routs, because the coach only wants them to run 3. This makes evaluating a WR, in terms of success in NFL, very difficult. So, difficult, that this past draft only a handful of WRs were taken in the first 2 rounds...compared to years past. NFL teams have learned their lesson: college coaching is simplistic, and often debilitating to a WR's game.

Thus, this is not "this staff's" problem as much as it is a problem for all staffs. 

It isn’t as easy to identify DB talent as you make it think

sure everybody can see that a guy like Lattimore was good. But a guy like Josh Norman was overlooked to the 5th round. Malcolm Butler UDFA and I can name a lot others 

on the flip a lot of early corners have not panned out as #1 guys like DJ Hayden .

You need to find a scheme fit

Edited by Buffalo716

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh crap!  If he's that good it can only mean he'll be traded away in about 24 months.

No, only if he sucks in his second year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

sure everybody can see that a guy like Lattimore was good. But a guy like Josh Norman was overlooked to the 5th round. Malcolm Butler UDFA and I can name a lot others 

on the flip a lot of early corners have not panned out as #1 guys like DJ Hayden .

Compare that to finding a C who can call protections. Explain why so few WRs were taken this year, while DBs were drafted like hot-cakes.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Agree, Norman slipped because he didn't test very fast and he was considered solely a zone corner. Ended up being a very good one at that.

I bet Tre White wouldn't be as good in man and press.

12 minutes ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Compare that to finding a C who can call protections. Explain why so few WRs were taken this year, while DBs were drafted like hot-cakes.

33 WRs we’re drafted this year and 29 CBs...

38 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh crap!  If he's that good it can only mean he'll be traded away in about 24 months.

He's a process guy...... relax ;) 

19 minutes ago, MTLBills said:

Agree, Norman slipped because he didn't test very fast and he was considered solely a zone corner. Ended up being a very good one at that.

I bet Tre White wouldn't be as good in man and press.

He was all over Gronk....thats why he got the bionic elbow after the Int :(

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Now about that offense ...  ;)

Right! This offense will struggle to find points... we've had great defenses... Schwartz had a top 3 Def... meant nothing cause Orton sucked donkey doodles. Means nothing to hold teams to 10 pts, if we can't score 13. 

Just now, Scorp83 said:

Right! This offense will struggle to find points... we've had great defenses... Schwartz had a top 3 Def... meant nothing cause Orton sucked donkey doodles. Means nothing to hold teams to 10 pts, if we can't score 13. 

Right, and it also means nothing if we can score 28 points a game, if we can't stop the other team from scoring 31.

So...