How much difference does Edmunds' size and speed make?

Edmunds is going to shrink alot of windows in middle of the field.  He is something teams dont see or be able to replicate.  A guy that big shouldnt be that fluid and athletic.  With star, kyle, and harry in front of him, Edmunds will be all over the field.  The defense could become very good very quickly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, H2o said:

Edmunds is an athletic freak who just turned 20 years old. At 6'5" and 254lbs he ran a 4.53 forty time. He has an 83" wingspan to go along with the height he already possesses. It means he can cover A LOT of ground and do so quickly. He has an elite closing burst. 

Preston is 4" shorter, about the same weight, has a wingspan shorter fhan Edmunds, and ran a 4.86 forty time. Preston made a lot of tackles, but they were always after he got burnt in coverage or on a ball carrier after a 5 or 6 yard gain. 

In short, Edmunds will be an immediate upgrade. He plays fast, is a true 3 down LB, and has a closing burst that Preston will never have. 

If he can learn some pass rushing moves this guy could be a monster, he has all the tools to be a amazing player. I still cannot believe he dropped that far in the draft.

29 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Edmunds is going to shrink alot of windows in middle of the field.  He is something teams dont see or be able to replicate.  A guy that big shouldnt be that fluid and athletic.  With star, kyle, and harry in front of him, Edmunds will be all over the field.  The defense could become very good very quickly.

That's the concept I was thinking of but couldn't put my finger on.  Shrink the windows.    That's what he's going to do.   He's going to make the 3rd and 7 completion for a first down tougher.   It's not that he's going to get 14 interceptions and 20 breakups.   He's just going to make it harder to throw into the middle medium zone.   He's going to force the Qbinto lower probability throws, which should result in fewer third down conversions for opponents.   

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Only a bit better all around, but Keuchly's 20 time is faster, which means that Keuchly's better in the first ten steps.   That's why I think it's a push.  

The point is that Edmunds has all the physical tools to be as effective as Keuchly.  Keuchly was built for McD's defense, and Edmund's is too. 

That's why when you read the articles today where Beane talks in depth about the draft, Beane says they were overjoyed after the first night.   They didn't think they had a chance to get BOTH a QB they wanted and Edmunds.   It fell perfectly for the Bills.  

Kuechly's 20 time is only better by like 0.02 seconds. Edmunds 40 time is greater by 0.04 seconds. Why can't it be assumed that Edmunds 40 time offsets Kuechly's 20 time, making him the superior athlete?

Good question. He has to make more of a difference than a guy we could have taken at 65. Considering that we got Phillips at 96, I'd say we gave up a day 1 starter on the OL or at WR or OLB to add 1 better player. Some guy on NFL Network was all over this move, though. He said he had Edmunds as his #1 LB and a top 4 prospect. We could have nailed down a starting spot for some time to come. No matter. I say Edmunds will make us forget the lost pick and be the beast we are told he is.

I know he is fast but I'd like him to work with Don Beebe's house of speed in offseason between camps.  It would make him just that much faster.  I am sure his father saw Beebe on other side with Bills when he played and was amazed at his breaks.

7 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i love zo and everyone including himself knows that this is most likely his last year, i think he is gonna ball out and get double digit sacks. then next year he can retire a bill and co host with john murphy.

i would like to see that. i know he hasn't been here for that long, but i love having this guy on my team. and he is great on the radio too. very engaging, very funny. i like your plan.

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I wanted to see specifically how much difference Edmunds' size and speed should make over Preston Brown, so I calculated it.  

If the QB delivers the ball in two seconds and throws a 35 yard pass, the ball arrives at its destination about 3 seconds after the snap.  

Based on their combine times for the 20 and 40, Edmunds will get 1.5 to 2 yards deep (on a deep drop) or wider (if he's going to the flat) than Brown.   

Plus, Edmunds is 4 inches taller and has slightly longer arms.   

My continuing memories of Brown in pass coverage was that his drops regularly weren't deep enough or wide enough.   He read the plays correctly, but the ball always seemed to pass six to twelve inches over his outstretched arm.   Assuming Edmunds can learn to make the reads as well as Brown did, those balls are going to be incomplete or intercepted.   

Bigger, better, faster athlete.  

Or,  the QB will throw the ball over his hands, too. Like he’s supposed to.

Edited by Domdab99

Having Bob Babich as his coach is huge. There aren't too many better than him. He turned Brian Urlacher into a Hall of Famer, turned Lance Briggs into one of the best in the league, made Poz so much better in Jacksonville, and developed Telvin Smith, a fifth round pick who is now probably top five linebackers in the league. Edmunds might be the best piece of clay he's ever worked with. Edmunds is basically the same size as Urlacher but a little faster. Remember Urlacher was a converted safety so he was very raw at the start as well. I love the Edmunds pick. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Kuechly's 20 time is only better by like 0.02 seconds. Edmunds 40 time is greater by 0.04 seconds. Why can't it be assumed that Edmunds 40 time offsets Kuechly's 20 time, making him the superior athlete?

Well, the first 20 yards are the most important, so that's an edge to Keuchly.  But it's not a significant edge.  As I said, I think it's a push.  

If the discussion is whether one is a little better athlete than other, i think the discussion is over.  You're talking about premier athletes.  Bills got one.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Having Bob Babich as his coach is huge. There aren't too many better than him. He turned Brian Urlacher into a Hall of Famer, turned Lance Briggs into one of the best in the league, made Poz so much better in Jacksonville, and developed Telvin Smith, a fifth round pick who is now probably top five linebackers in the league. Edmunds might be the best piece of clay he's ever worked with. Edmunds is basically the same size as Urlacher but a little faster. Remember Urlacher was a converted safety so he was very raw at the start as well. I love the Edmunds pick. 

Much of what turned Brian Urlacher into a Hall of Famer was Rusty Jones.  Urlacher gave credit to him in helping him stay healthy for he had constant hamstring problems. 

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-07/sports/ct-spt-0208-bears-pompei-rusty-jones-chicago--20130208_1_rusty-jones-strength-coach-phil-emery

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/4/2018 at 9:01 PM, Shaw66 said:

Edmunds is slightly faster in the 40. a little slower in the 20, so I'd guess their ability to drop is about the same.   Edmunds is two inches taller.   So I'd say that physically it's a push. 

I disagree. I think we see a major difference in Edmunds over Brown. He plays much much quicker sideline to sideline, potential major impact

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I disagree. I think we see a major difference in Edmunds over Brown. He plays much much quicker sideline to sideline, potential major impact

My comment was comparing Edmunds to Keuchly.  

Read the OP and tell us if you disagree. 

• Thank you (+1) 1