Amazon Prime raising rates

Greybeard

It's a bad deal for the Post Office!!  I just had a Jeep suspension part (replacing bad sway bar link) delivered today (Sunday). I ordered it on Friday. That USPS postal worker should be sitting on her azz today @ home, dreaming of the 1st Class mail that will never come & be delivered.

That package was a buck fitty too low!

Just saying... Beggars should be choosy!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And I am sure the PO will get their buck fitty more per package now. <_<

:lol:

Are we going with that Trump trope here? The post office actually is being carried by Amazon deliveries. Letter volume is down like 85%. Also the post office would be profitable if it weren't for Congress mandating they fund their pension obligations 75 years out.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are we going with that Trump trope here? The post office actually is being carried by Amazon deliveries. Letter volume is down like 85%. Also the post office would be profitable if it weren't for Congress mandating they find their pension obligations 75 years out.

That "trope" was from a Citigroup analysis first reported in the Wall Street Journal

Apparently, Amazon isn't the only business to get special USPS pricing, but it does get special USPS pricing.

Note: I use Prime and will continue to do so.

9 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

It appears that Amazon is looking at their own delivery service. This would impact UPS, USPS, Fedex, etc.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/09/amazon-delivery-service/

They've been saying that for years.

Walmart tried to do the same thing, back when they were the biggest company in the market, and they couldn't pull it off. People don't realize just how big of an infrastructure they have to build. It's not just about connecting cities, but it's also reaching the smallest villages, while trying to find trained drivers in a rapidly shrinking profession.

It's like Pizza-Hut declaring they're going to build and develop their own car for deliveries. It's possible, but the costs far out-weigh the benefits.

I think the only way it will ever happen is if some technology gets introduced that forces the delivery industry to retro-fit everything; like safe self-driving vehicles or efficient electric engines.

From what i've read of Amazon's plan...

They want to build pick-up centers in cities.So instead of delivering to your house, they want to move their products from a central warehouse to a smaller warehouse in a city where customers pick up their items. So if you live in the middle of nowhere, you're going to have to drive into the city to get your package.

It's certainly one way to skip the hardest part of building a delivery service;... by not actually delivering it to you, just getting it closer so you can pick it up yourself ...until they figure out how to stop people from shooting down their drones.

Although, they could make money by charging customers to finish that last leg of the journey to your doorstep; then simply handing if off to the Post Office.

Edited by unbillievable

52 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

From what i've read of Amazon's plan...

They want to build pick-up centers in cities.So instead of delivering to your house, they want to move their products from a central warehouse to a smaller warehouse in a city where customers pick up their items. So if you live in the middle of nowhere, you're going to have to drive into the city to get your package.

It's certainly one way to skip the hardest part of building a delivery service;... by not actually delivering it to you, just getting it closer so you can pick it up yourself ...until they figure out how to stop people from shooting down their drones.

Although, they could make money by charging customers to finish that last leg of the journey to your doorstep; then simply handing if off to the Post Office.

They already have pick up lockers in Safeways out here.

16 hours ago, Acantha said:

Started at $90. Went to 100 a few years ago.

I misread Greybeards post. Raised it $ 20, not raised from $20

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are we going with that Trump trope here? The post office actually is being carried by Amazon deliveries. Letter volume is down like 85%. Also the post office would be profitable if it weren't for Congress mandating they find their pension obligations 75 years out.

Exactly!  Can't agree more, that was my point.  Sarcasm detector broken? ;)

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

They've been saying that for years.

My last two prime deliveries were by private vehicles not commercial delivery companies so, in some respects, they are already moving away from commercial delivery companies.

12 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

My last two prime deliveries were by private vehicles not commercial delivery companies so, in some respects, they are already moving away from commercial delivery companies.

On Saturday it was my first delivery like that.  Body lift for Jeep, I ordered it the night before.  It was free Prime, so I said what the heck... Even though other suspension parts are arriving through week, like shocks and coils.

Anyway, some Dude knocks on door and passed package off to me.  I say thanks! :lol:

They probably should be a bit more professional, @ leastleast wear a uni of some sort?  Maybe an Id? He shows up in white pimped out Dodge Charger.  Here in da Hood, I saw him in front of house and thought maybe I should duck.  Drive-by?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

On Saturday it was my first delivery like that.  Body lift for Jeep, I ordered it the night before.  It was free Prime, so I said what the heck... Even though other suspension parts are arriving through week, like shocks and coils.

Anyway, some Dude knocks on door and passed package off to me.  I say thanks! :lol:

They probably should be a bit more professional, @ leastleast wear a uni of some sort?  Maybe an Id? He shows up in white pimped out Dodge Charger.  Here in da Hood, I saw him in front of house and thought maybe I should duck.  Drive-by?

uber delivers! I wonder how they can get around DOT regulations.

7 hours ago, Dante said:

They already have pick up lockers in Safeways out here

They have them over here too, outside in the parking lot.

This past Christmas someone broke into the locker and stole everyone's package. It was well lit and had a camera, but they never caught the guy.

Edited by unbillievable