How Josh Allen's Wonderlic Scores Compares To Past Bills QB's

I feel like many fans are looking for reasons to get on the Josh Allen bandwagon, so here's something.  Last month the alleged wonderlic scores were leaked.  The Wonderlic test does not predict success or failure in the league, but I thought it might be fun to see where Josh Allen compares to QB's of the Bills past.  

This is a good article about this year's class, as well as the Wonderlic in general:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/03/30/leaked-wonderlic-results-look-good-for-josh-allen-not-so-much-for-lamar-jackson/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ec21930665f0

But remember, 50 points is the highest you can get.  A 22 is a decent score.  Anything about 30 is considered good.   

There's a few QB's that don't have a Wonderlic score on file.  If you don't see a Bills QB on this list, that's why.  So here's where Allen fits in:

Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

Josh Allen 37

Drew Bledsoe 36

Brian Brohm 32

Girbran Hamden 32

Nate Peterman 32

Trent Edwards 31

JP Losman 31

EJ Manuel 28

Kyle Orton 26

Cardale Jones 25

AJ McCarron 22

Tyrod Taylor 15

Jim Kelly 15

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I don't think people are on the Allen bandwagon as much as you think. It's more of people trying to be positive and hype themselves up. 

Oh no....I don't think so either.  I think most wanted Rosen at that pick.  But rather than whinge like the folks at WGR fans are hoping for the best and trying to find any glimmer of hope.  Here is one thing

6 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

This has nothing to do with anything.

McBeane picked him over the others for two reasons:

1. Athleticism

2. Work Ethic

McDermott is a Work Ethic guy, I think he didn't like Rosen's meh-its-only-football-how-hard-can-it-be attitude.

Wonderlic played zero role.  

Never did....I just meant if there's one way positive to find about Allen - he scored very well on the Wonderlic

Fwiw average wonderlic score by super bowl winning QBs is 30.5.   Jim Kelly is an exception to what I’m about to say but I think when it comes to the wonderlic, lower scores are definitely a flag.  I don’t think it’s coincidental that a lot of the QBs I see with low scores on the wonderlic are the same ones that have “slow eyes”, hold the ball too long, etc.  but as far as Jim, he was a unique personality when he was younger and not necessarily in a good way, so I wouldn’t be surprised if young  Jim didn’t bother taking the test seriously to begin with

7 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Fwiw average wonderlic score by super bowl winning QBs is 30.5.   Jim Kelly is an exception to what I’m about to say but I think when it comes to the wonderlic, lower scores are definitely a flag.  I don’t think it’s coincidental that a lot of the QBs I see with low scores on the wonderlic are the same ones that have “slow eyes”, hold the ball too long, etc.  but as far as Jim, he was a unique personality when he was younger and not necessarily in a good way, so I wouldn’t be surprised if young  Jim didn’t bother taking the test seriously to begin with

of course there is a good possibility Kelly was "hammered" the night before he took the test just like all those nights before a superbowl

Edited by entropyrules

4 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

This has nothing to do with anything.

McBeane picked him over the others for two reasons:

1. Athleticism

2. Work Ethic

McDermott is a Work Ethic guy, I think he didn't like Rosen's meh-its-only-football-how-hard-can-it-be attitude.

Wonderlic played zero role.  

It's just another piece to the thousands in the puzzle. It plays a small role just like all the other pieces.

7 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

young Jim was probably still legally drunk from the night before when he took it.  It was a different era.  Lots of people didn't take that kind of thing seriously.  You didn't need to have a sterling record of standardized test scores to get into college, or to get a good job.  Especially a future pro-level athlete.  He probably treated it as a complete joke.

He's a smart guy, as he showed on the field.  Wonder what his score would be in this day and age.  I'm guessing similar to Allen.