Please God Red-Shirt Allen

Boludo

6 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

LeSean McCoy

Charles Clay

Kelvin Benjamin

Zay Jones

I understand nobody thinks much of these guys (outside of Shady), but with our QB situation, Buffalo was the place WR's went to die. I bet with a capable QB, Benjamin, Clay, and Jones take a step up. I also think we use McCoy a bit more as well.

You are insane.

Who's blocking?

1 hour ago, akm0404 said:

Acquire franchise quarterback. 

Build a dominant defense while you red shirt the qb. 

Go nuts in free agency on the offensive side of the ball next year now that players will want to come to a team without a glaring hole at qb. 

Super Bowl in 2020. 

I might be reading this theory wrong, but if we sit Allen this entire year and then attempt to spend a ton next year in free agency, what will convince any free agent that we no longer have a glaring hole at QB? 

If we sit Allen all year, people will be lining up for Mccaron? Are you saying go nuts next year in free agency and then the year after we will be a desirable spot?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bruce_Stools

17 minutes ago, Bruce_Stools said:

I might be reading this theory wrong, but if we sit Allen this entire year and then attempt to spend a ton next year in free agency, what will convince any free agent that we no longer have a glaring hole at QB? 

If we sit Allen all year, people will be lining up for Mccaron? Are you saying go nuts next year in free agency and then the year after we will be a desirable spot?

Thanks in advance

It's not that difficult to attract offensive lineman in free agency, you just need to pay them, which the Bills will be able to do.

They will also be able to spend more draft capital on offense in general next year.

My speculation is that free agents next year (especially on the offensive side of the ball) will not necessarily automatically disqualify the Bills due to their perennially dysfunctional quarterback situation. I believe this will be the case whether or not Allen starts games this year, simply by virtue of him existing on the roster. 

There's no way on God's green earth that Josh Allen should start this year or even play unless AJ gets hurt. He needs time to develop, to learn NFL speed and the last thing he needs is to be thrown into the fire and lose whatever confidence he has in himself. The Bills spent way too much to get him but now we have to make the best of it and hope he becomes special?

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He has a decent understanding of pro concepts but I don't think he should see the field until his footwork is fixed. If that somehow happens by September, great. If not be patient and let him grow.

How much time do you think the coaches have to spend working on  a players footwork during the season?  NFL coaches don't spend much time on fundamentals.  Rob Johnson, Fitzpatrick, Tyrod, Cardale Jones all had fundamental flaws.  Every off-season fans talked about the coaching staff fixing those flaws, and it NEVER happened.

QBs need experience, but gaining experience is much different than fixing flaws, no matter how fatal they may be.

As long as there is no additional risk of injury, Allen should start this year.  The Bills need to know if he has the skill to play in the NFL and understand that if he doesn't, more time on the bench won't help him.

There shouldn't be an arbitrary timeline to determine when Allen starts.  Don't rush him but don't hold him back either.  Once he becomes the QB that gives us the best shot at winning, start him. Whether that is next year, mid year or even at the beginning.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

You have the psychic ability to see what our offensive personnel looks like at the start of the season?  

We held onto cap space for a reason.  That reason is the upcoming cuts.  If they sign a bunch defensive side of the ball cap casualties then you can worry, I guess. 

Our line has Bodine or Groy at Center, Got a guard in Teller who probably can start, Ducasse and Miller are still here. Set at tackles with free agent backup picked up that has start 4-5 years. Bodine has played with McCarrone so that will be seamless. I fail to see why this is a BAD line. yes upgrades would be nice at RG and RT. Yes there still are good players who will be looking for work for backups.

33 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Allegedly

Outside of Teller they are proven!

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Magox said:

There shouldn't be an arbitrary timeline to determine when Allen starts.  Don't rush him but don't hold him back either.  Once he becomes the QB that gives us the best shot at winning, start him. Whether that is next year, mid year or even at the beginning.

That's all I'm saying, let the coaches evaluate him first.  Lets see him play in the NFL first. You can't just go into the season with the mindset that he HAS to sit.

29 minutes ago, Magox said:

No, he is still better watching unless McCarron gets hurt.

17 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

No, he is still better watching unless McCarron gets hurt.

Yeah, he's not. Watching didn't help Manuel, Johnson, Losman, Jones, or Taylor.

The NFL is a sink or swim league.  There's no such think as apprenticeship. And the team can't spend a year not knowing if Allen is the guy, because if he's not the guy, it's malpractice to spend 3 years figuring it out.

Start him now.  If he's a true NFL QB he'll survive the lumps he receives.  If it breaks him, the team can work on finding his replacement.

I don't want Allen just handed the job but I do want him in a competition to start and he gets the benefit of the doubt for two serious reasons. If McCarron starts the HC and OC and QBC spend 80% of their time with the starter during the week. I'd much, much prefer for that time to go to Allen. Second, McCarron scares no one. If he is the starter, the D lines up 8-9 in the box and takes away Shady. And we can talk run or throw. If Allen is in there they have to respect his arm and have to back off. I think and hope Allen starts the season as QB1. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog