Please God Red-Shirt Allen

Boludo

I feel like he will grow much more from live experience at this point than watching. If he was further behind mentally I'd say he should sit and learn, but he has experience under center - reading the defensive alignment and adjusting both protections and routes at the line. I won't be upset if he doesn't start, but I don't think it's his best path to success. I believe this will show through to the staff in camp & preseason.

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

What if he beats out McCarron and Peterman, which is entirely possible?

The Bills didn’t exactly go out and get a guy that he couldn’t beat out. They haven’t handed the job to McCarron or Peterman.

Then we're screwed unless the coaches have the sense to just not play him anyways.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

What if he beats out McCarron and Peterman, which is entirely possible?

The Bills didn’t exactly go out and get a guy that he couldn’t beat out. They haven’t handed the job to McCarron or Peterman.

Playing Allen this year is a mistake. 

6 minutes ago, Boludo said:

No there won't.

But this thread is about red shirting Allen, not imaginary free agents.

And you know this how?.. Every year there is talent released after the Draft.  This year is gong to be the only year that doesn’t happen?  

Your premise is to redshirt Allen, even if he’s ready, because of our offensive personnel.  We don’t know what this offense will look like yet and Beane specifically addressed holding onto cap space for this reason. (Late cuts)

23 minutes ago, Boludo said:

Come on, you really think there is going to be a flood of starting caliber players coming available before the season?

Not a flood, no.  But there are usually a group of vet players released after the draft, and a bunch of FA player signings around the May UFA tender date and the June RFA date, then of course the players available after the 53-man cutdown.  This year there won't be cut-down to 75, so no players then. 

Most teams manage to find a couple of guys who can play.

Different people learn better differently. What if he's the kind of guy that learns better and understands more by doing? Would make no sense to sit him and slow his progress. 

Like it or not, Josh Allen is THE most important player on that roster. Every decision made needs to be revolving around his development and his progress. If we play a raw rookie and suffer a 2-14 season...so be it. 

But look how this team is shaping up. We are going to be a run first team again. Shady and Ivory. Strong defense. I think in the right set up Allen could play and we could do just as well as if AJ played. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Boludo said:

I wasn't thrilled about the Allen move but I'm coming around. I like all the defensive picks that have followed and it's building my faith back up.

I just PRAY the organization is looking to red shirt Allen for a season, let McCarron get his clock cleaned, and then restock the O-line next offseason and add some weapons and let Allen come into a much better situation. That plan sounds great to me.

Throwing Allen out there this season will ruin the kid.

I don't think you should address McDermott as "God" :devil: he wouldn't like it

I'm sure the plan is to have Allen sit, unless he just blows everyone away in camp.

The problem I have, this IS the HC that for whatever reason threw Not-Ready-Nate into the fire.  So if the offense is offensive, it doesn't seem "beyond the pale" to me he might do it again.  And of course, injuries happen.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Listen to what McDermott said about him in the day one press conference. Raw skills, needs to develop and learn. 

Ok, great. He didn’t say he needs to sit and learn. You are aware you can develop on the field right? And if he clearly beats out McCarron/Peterman, why would sit him anyways?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

2 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

The likelihood is no but there is no way it can be ruled out completely.  What if AJ gets hurt is it absolutely Peterman then?

Yeah. If Allen isn't ready.

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

Ok, great. He didn’t say he needs to sit and learn. You are aware you can develop on the field right? And if he clearly beats out McCarron/Peterman, why would sir him anyways.

Whatever. You think he starting, I don't. We'll see.

Edited by PromoTheRobot