Rebuild Strategy is in Place

Monkey off our backs - check, so now we can focus on proper team construction.

1. So the Bills drafted a high ceiling QB who needs a year to develop. I like him and think he has what it takes.

2. They also drafted a fast but thin LB who needs to put on some bulk and learn to drive through his tackles, who as he ages is going to get better.

3. They also preserved next years one, which I think clearly shows they know that rationally this is a 5-7 win team and it will be a nice pick. They also have a ton of cash next year.

4. I think next year starts the ascension, when these many young players get better, the FA market becomes viable to quickly improve the team and coach further takes this team his way.

I think we have a plan for once, not just reacting like Doug did and I am OK with this. I am more encouraged by this team than I have in a long time, smart guys are in charge.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, foreboding said:

1. So the Bills drafted a high ceiling QB who needs a year to develop. I like him and think he has what it takes.

2. They also drafted a fast but thin LB who needs to put on some bulk and learn to drive through his tackles, who as he ages is going to get better.

3. They also preserved next years one, which I think clearly shows they know that rationally this is a 5-7 win team and it will be a nice pick. They also have a ton of cash next year.

4. I think next year starts the ascension, when these many young players get better, the FA market becomes viable to quickly improve the team and coach further takes this team his way.

I think we have a plan for once, not just reacting like Doug did and I am OK with this. I am more encouraged by this team than I have in a long time, smart guys are in charge.

solid thinking, though i'm not sure i'd give up on this season quite yet.  AJM might well be an upgrade over Tryhard, and if that's the case, maybe we squeak to 9 or 10 wins?  let's wait and see, if nothing else this regime has earned the benefit of the doubt

11 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Edmunds is listed at 6-5, 253, and he's thin?

• Like (+1) 1

#2 Solid but thin LB? Dude did not look thin in that suit! He carries 250 lbs very well, but yes, he’s just 19 years old. Give him a few years in an NFL weight room and you’ve got a frightening defensive weapon! 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
Just now, jjmac said:

Kid is a freaking monster.  Definitely worth what we gave up for him imo.

I think the Monkey is still on our backs even more so until Allen proves he can play. We've been down this exact road many times so until he is lighting it up that monkey is still there

Edmunds was a great pick IMO. 3 down LB side to side player with size / speed

1 minute ago, Augie said:

#2 Solid but thin LB? Dude did not look thin in that suit! He carries 250 lbs very well, but yes, he’s just 19 years old. Give him a few years in an NFL weight room and you’ve got a frightening defensive weapon! 

love his tackling style too, doesn't appear to avoid hits!

1 minute ago, jjmac said:

I know but he looked surprisingly thin to me, considering his listed weight.  He must a gem to have the Bills trade up for him.

As for the OP, I'm sure the Bills brass want to win NOW yet build for the future. Recall how last year was supposed to be a disaster by the doomsday crowd? Yet only 4 out of the 12 playoff teams of 2016 made it to  the dance for 2017 so no mater what you plan, better also to prepare the future. And AJMc is supposed to be a very good "bridge QB".

We were 9-7 last year when everyone said we were "tanking".   I believe this year's team will be just as good if not better.  I also believe that McCarron will outperform Tyrod.  The D will be better against the run and with improved QB play, I expect a more consistent team.  I didn't buy the "tanking" theory last year and I don't buy that we are "rebuilding" this year.

7 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

We were 9-7 last year when everyone said we were "tanking".   I believe this year's team will be just as good if not better.  I also believe that McCarron will outperform Tyrod.  The D will be better against the run and with improved QB play, I expect a more consistent team.  I didn't buy the "tanking" theory last year and I don't buy that we are "rebuilding" this year.

The biggest difference between last years team and this one will be the OL. The run blocking was a bit meh last season which I think is scheme-related. This should improve. Losing two starters is certainly an obstacle, but I think Groy is more than capable of stepping in. I assume they will bring in a rookie, or maybe a late FA, so that remains to be seen.

On the other hand, I think we are better defensively than we were last season. Edmunds is an upgrade over Preston and he will only get better. Some depth is needed,  especially at DT,  but there aren't glaring holes.

Edited by Will-GM-for-food
Typo

31 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Absolutely. Last year was a bonus for McBeane. They squeaked into the playoffs and bought themselves a little time to execute a rebuilding plan. Wood and Richie disappearing actually helps accelerate it a bit. NFL turnarounds don't take that long these days. I think we'll be competitive in a "fun to watch the games" (NOT Browns tanking) sense, but not truly playoff competitve in 2018. 2019 we'll see the progress as the plan starts to take hold. 2020? If Allen is truly starting QB material, that's when the true competition window opens. If they flubbed it on Allen, it's back to square one ...

EDIT: and assuming that next year's first rounder is in the 6-12 range (a reasonable assumption), there's some very good trade down possibilities to allow the club to address multiple needs.  I like it.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Edmunds is a freak of nature. 4.54 speed on someone that big is crazy. If you look at his highlight reel not only is he a technically solid tackler but he makes more arm tackles than anyone I've seen. He literally rips ball carriers down with his arms when he doesn't square them up and has to extend. Whether this translates to the pro game is yet to be seen but man can this kid go side to sideline like Seau used to.  

49 minutes ago, Will-GM-for-food said:

The biggest difference between last years team and this one will be the OL. The run blocking was a bit meh last season which I think is scheme-related.

Oh I agree. I think that we have less wins because this schedule is absurd. At the very least, we can safely say we wont be picking in the 20's next year, highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

He does not look huge to me, but again, he needs a year or two which is why I like the pick. We aint winning any super bowls this year, lets get these young guys coached up and in the weight room for the next couple of years when we can bolster via FA as well.

13 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

Tough, tough schedule this year.