Bills the worst team in the NFL this season?

Just now, JOSH HUFF said:

I have to think that this is a rough season,  especially if they through all the picks in for a QB.  O-line is a mess, best players are old, no proven QB.  Right now we look like the Browns of the past few years.  Speaking of the Browns they will be much better this season.    

Well, we don't really resemble the Browns roster-wise since they were a very young team last year. In some ways, their horrible performance was more forgivable, or at least understandable than if a team with lots of age at a lot of key positions finishes near the bottom.

Yeah, people said they'd be the worst team in the NFL LAST season, too. How did that work out?

That being said, it won't surprise me to see them regress this year, especially if they start a rookie QB. Anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 is the range, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Valid point. And (although lots of teams can play the same game here, so maybe it's not fair doing this for our team?) we have to remember that point differential in 2017 was inflated by 2 disastrous losses - the Peterman Game (as it shall forevermore be known) and that Saints blowout. Take those games away, and we look a lot more like a legit 9-7 last year.

I am also wary about fairness, but it is about a very specific, almost unique (although Chiefs had a similar seasonal arc) way these losses happened. It's not just a matter of removing the 3 worst games, but a 3 game stretch where the team played markedly different from the rest of the year. I'm a huge fan of 538, going back to Nate's days as Poblano, and would genuinely be curious to hear their opinions as to whether the specific way the season happened has an effect. I'm also curious to hear if making the playoffs has an impact, since the four teams worse than the Bills in differential who made the playoffs went from an aggregate 32-32 to 35-29 the following season. 

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

I am also wary about fairness, but it is about a very specific, almost unique (although Chiefs had a similar seasonal arc) way these losses happened. It's not just a matter of removing the 3 worst games, but a 3 game stretch where the team played markedly different from the rest of the year. I'm a huge fan of 538, going back to Nate's days as Poblano, and would genuinely be curious to hear their opinions as to whether the specific way the season happened has an effect. I'm also curious to hear if making the playoffs has an impact, since the four teams worse than the Bills in differential who made the playoffs went from an aggregate 32-32 to 35-29 the following season. 

That last stat is interesting. Are you talking about 2016 to 2017?

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

The team will be better simply because whoever starts at quarterback will be much better than the crap we had for the last two years!

Well ... do we know that? That McCarron will be better than Tyrod? And even if he is, what if he goes down for at least a few games ... Nate Peterman? Really?

6 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

I have to think that this is a rough season,  especially if they through all the picks in for a QB.  O-line is a mess, best players are old, no proven QB.  Right now we look like the Browns of the past few years.  Speaking of the Browns they will be much better this season.    

Not all best players are old: Tre White, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer. I'm excited for Milano and Dawkins (and even Zay Jones) next year. Kelvin Benjamin is great if healthy.

Browns, really?!?! Let's not get carried away...but yes, they will probably be much better. It would be hard not to. 

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That last stat is interesting. Are you talking about 2016 to 2017?

Well ... do we know that? That McCarron will be better than Tyrod? And even if he is, what if he goes down for at least a few games ... Nate Peterman? Really?

Ah, no, I mean the four teams who made the playoffs with a worse point differentials. The 7-9 2010 Seattle Seahawks, the 8-8 2011 Denver Broncos, the 8-8 2004 St. Louis Rams (ha, almost wrote L.A.), and the 9-7 1989 Pittsburgh Steelers. 

And I agree with you about the QBs: we don't know, and that is one reason I can see the potential for disaster. Tyrod had his flaws, but his ability to not turnover the football kept the Bills in a lot of games. AJ has actually shown a similar knack in college and limited pro experience. However, he definitely does not have the ability to keep a drive alive with his legs and that's pretty objective. Looked up his college rushing yards...an almost unfathomable -50 career yards. He's a wild card, but look at Case Keenum. 

Not all best players are old: Tre White, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer. I'm excited for Milano and Dawkins (and even Zay Jones) next year. Kelvin Benjamin is great if healthy.

Browns, really?!?! Let's not get carried away...but yes, they will probably be much better. It would be hard not to. 

Agreed. The Bills will definitely have a younger roster in 2018 than they did at the start of 2017:  

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

Interesting: we went from 3rd youngest roster in 2013, to 10th youngest (2014), 10th again (2015), 22nd (2016), to 30th (in other words, 3rd oldest) last year. Other than the Browns (who are, well, special), you generally see the youngest teams from 3 or 4 years ago making great strides - not surprising, since teams control draft picks for 4 or 5 years. So look at the 5 youngest teams in 2013:

Rams

Browns

Bills

Seahawks (what happened there? I think it's Pete Carroll hubris)

Jags

Problem with the Bills is that 2016-17 should have been their peak, and if their peak is "just squeaking into the playoffs" that's not that satisfying. I blame (mostly) Rex and (secondly) Whaley.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Obviously you care or you wouldn't be posting as is everyone who's responded in this thread and the 1000's who likely read the article.  It's an article which he's paid to write in the hopes that people read and talk about which is what is happening here.  There are only 256 wins in an NFL season (unless you're ESPN) so looking at it objectively that's what he thinks they will add up to.  It has nothing to do with EGO, he's just doing his job, but god help anyone who says anything in the slightest negative about the Bills. Then he becomes this terrible person.  Will he be right, who knows, probably some teams records will be close to his predictions, but some will be way off either better or worse.

I'm sure if he had predicted an 11-5 record he'd be praised around here.  Jay S predicted 6-10, so is he on an ego trip also??

No it's not obvious that I care, since I don't. It's obvious that I read threads on TBD and sometimes comment on them. Doesn't mean I care.   My comment has nothing to do with his prediction being 'negative' about the Bills, but about the whole idea of predicting team records. I didn't say he's a terrible person... where are you coming up with all this crap?

54 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Ah, no, I mean the four teams who made the playoffs with a worse point differentials. The 7-9 2010 Seattle Seahawks, the 8-8 2011 Denver Broncos, the 8-8 2004 St. Louis Rams (ha, almost wrote L.A.), and the 9-7 1989 Pittsburgh Steelers. 

And I agree with you about the QBs: we don't know, and that is one reason I can see the potential for disaster. Tyrod had his flaws, but his ability to not turnover the football kept the Bills in a lot of games. AJ has actually shown a similar knack in college and limited pro experience. However, he definitely does not have the ability to keep a drive alive with his legs and that's pretty objective. Looked up his college rushing yards...an almost unfathomable -50 career yards. He's a wild card, but look at Case Keenum. 

Got it - thanks. That McCarron rushing stat is a fun one. How could any college QB on a good team not rack up at least, say, 100 yards rushing in a season?

EDIT: as for the stat on teams with worse point differentials than the Bills who made the playoffs - the improved record the following season is completely explained by 2 words: Peyton Manning.  Although to be fair, you are correct that these teams didn't regress, despite featuring QBs such as Bubby Brister and Tarvaris Jackson ....  Unrelated point: Tarvaris Jackson wasn't horrible for the Seahawks. Just ordinary not good. I'm still surprised he didn't get another legitimate shot, I mean, it's not like the Bills were playing a future HOFer or anything ....

Edited by The Frankish Reich

48 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Got it - thanks. That McCarron rushing stat is a fun one. How could any college QB on a good team not rack up at least, say, 100 yards rushing in a season?

College counts sacks as "negative rushing yards" against QBs, so a QB who is a pocket guy winds up with negative yards.

11 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Now personally I think this guy is a pigdick and probably eats paint, but that’s just my opinion...

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/20/2018-nfl-season-buffalo-bills-espn-worst-team-in-nfl/amp/

More click bait!! Here's a guy who don't know what type of offensive scheme the Bills will run. Don't know who they will draft/pick up in post draft free agency to fill holes. This is a pure lazy assessment of this team and lazy statement, period

50 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed. The Bills will definitely have a younger roster in 2018 than they did at the start of 2017:  

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

Interesting: we went from 3rd youngest roster in 2013, to 10th youngest (2014), 10th again (2015), 22nd (2016), to 30th (in other words, 3rd oldest) last year. Other than the Browns (who are, well, special), you generally see the youngest teams from 3 or 4 years ago making great strides - not surprising, since teams control draft picks for 4 or 5 years. So look at the 5 youngest teams in 2013:

Rams

Browns

Bills

Seahawks (what happened there? I think it's Pete Carroll hubris)

Jags

Problem with the Bills is that 2016-17 should have been their peak, and if their peak is "just squeaking into the playoffs" that's not that satisfying. I blame (mostly) Rex and (secondly) Whaley.

Interesting observation. Seahawks did well early in that one, Jags and Rams only came on this season (although I certainly would not bet against the two of them in the SB next year, but Rams could flame out quickly as they are flirting with salary cap calamity). Browns, well, we'll see, as of now they are 1-15 and 0-16 in the last few years. We'll also see with us, but I do ultimately suspect 2018 could be a step back for a 2019 run. I'm just not counting us out yet.

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

College counts sacks as "negative rushing yards" against QBs, so a QB who is a pocket guy winds up with negative yards.

Ok, then Tyrod had 2196 college rushing yards vs. A.J.'s -50, but I don't think anyone's arguing AJ will be better at running than Tyrod. And, similarly, I'm not saying  he won't beat Tyrod by keeping more drives alive with more accurate passing. There's nothing to prove or disprove that. He's a wild card with some intrigue. If we can get the o-line to where the QB is not getting killed every time, then I hope we get a QB like Rosen and take a shot at going with him, maybe start 1-4, but see if they come on at (what appears to be) the easier tail end of the season. 

Edited by thurst44
hadn't finished one of the responses

Interesting observation. Seahawks did well early in that one, Jags and Rams only came on this season (although I certainly would not bet against the two of them in the SB next year, but Rams could flame out quickly as they are flirting with salary cap calamity). Browns, well, we'll see, as of now they are 1-15 and 0-16 in the last few years

Ok, then Tyrod had 2196 college rushing yards vs. A.J.'s -50, but I don't think anyone's arguing AJ will be better at running than Tyrod. And, similarly, I'm not saying  he won't beat Tyrod by keeping more drives alive with more accurate passing. There's nothing to prove or disprove that. He's a wild card with some intrigue. If we can get the o-line to where the QB is not getting killed every time, then I hope we get a QB like Rosen and take a shot at going with him, maybe start 1-4, but see if they come on at (what appears to be) the easier tail end of the season. 

Oh I wasn't arguing about aj vs tyrod

I was just just answering your question as to how a guy finish with negative rushing yards.

Pocket QBs who don't run at all wind up with this.

I think we might be in for a rude awakening having a pocket QB without an actual pocket producing OLine.

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

??

Years ago, a couple of friends ran a small Buffalocentric sports paper as part of a journalism class they were in.  Each issue had an underlying theme, the 'f*** you' issue took on anyone who the editors figured screwed a Buffalo sports team.  Whether it was an opposing player, national sportscaster, or even a hometown player or coach they felt had done harm or disservice to the team, the offender was blasted.  'SinceThe70s' middle digit there gave me a good laugh.  Had the editors been 40 years later, they would probably have a website.

6 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Interesting observation. Seahawks did well early in that one, Jags and Rams only came on this season (although I certainly would not bet against the two of them in the SB next year, but Rams could flame out quickly as they are flirting with salary cap calamity). Browns, well, we'll see, as of now they are 1-15 and 0-16 in the last few years. We'll also see with us, but I do ultimately suspect 2018 could be a step back for a 2019 run. I'm just not counting us out yet.

Rams (and Jags for that matter) seem to be following the MLB script written by the Astros and the Royals and Cubs before that - let all your young talent mature, then in the last year or two while they're under team control, start mortgaging the future to go for that championship.  Of course, the Browns embarked on the same course, but still haven't shown that it's time for them to start making the big push.

The league porked the Bills with making them open with 5 of 7 on the road  because they want a new stadium built here.

Add a raw QB and 'O' line, weak receiving core, iffy 'D', I see major regression.....

.....and a lot of empty seats at New Era in come Nov.

2 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

The league porked the Bills with making them open with 5 of 7 on the road  because they want a new stadium built here.

Add a raw QB and 'O' line, weak receiving core, iffy 'D', I see major regression.....

.....and a lot of empty seats at New Era in come Nov.

....how so if "other than divisional opponents" are part of a long standing pre-set formula?.....where can the "stick it to manipulation" occur or did I miss the memo??...........