Conspiracy Theory: About the Bills Schedule

2 minutes ago, ricojes said:

Towards the end of the run of 4 SB's attendance started to dip.  But when Kelly and crew began that run, it was a full house every game, no matter what time of year. 

The Bills comeback playoff game vs Houston was a black out. 

Bills fans are great but it's a small market. It's just reality. A closed stadium would attract more fans. They need it. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

Bills fans are great but it's a small market. It's just reality. A closed stadium would attract more fans. They need it. 

In some ways true but let's be fair:

Mara needs it.

Kraft needs it.

Roger needs it.

Oh wait, their wallets need it. And say goodbye to some average fans as they are priced out.

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Yes, that was the end of the run.  Previous to that, the stadium was full.  And if this team is not just in the hunt, but one of the top teams in December, the games will sell out.  It's not a "small market" argument, it's all about winning.

Edited by ricojes

I will never understand why so many people think the weather for Bills games is so much worse than the weather for other teams.

Not to mention - both teams are playing in the same !@#$ing weather.  The myth that "the Bills are more comfortable in wintery conditions," is crap.

15 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I love how fans always cry about getting a dome but those late December games are always seats empty. People say it's about the team, wrong. They had more seats in the 90's, but also many more blackouts. Buffalo Bills games are the greatest deal in the NFL and we have trouble filling the stadium. Something has to change. 

Like being competitive and winning more games?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I will never understand why so many people think the weather for Bills games is so much worse than the weather for other teams.

Not to mention - both teams are playing in the same !@#$ing weather.  The myth that "the Bills are more comfortable in wintery conditions," is crap.

I don't think anyone really believes that any more.  It used to be though....

"when it's too cold for them, it's just right for us!"

Just now, mabden said:

Like being competitive and winning more games?

Nope. Smaller stadium, closed roof. Winning won't change much. You have to account for cost. Price going up will counter any hype from winning. 

Winning + closed roof + smaller stadium will keep the Bills viable. 

Just now, Epstein's Mother said:

Of course seating capacity until '98 was 80,000+ and by 2009 in was down to around 73,000.

And will have to get even smaller. 

3 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It was 1993. 

yes, the last year of the 4 SB run.  This was the year where attendance declined from the previous 5 or 6 or so seasons. And everyone points the Houston game and the Bills non playoff sellout to prove their small market theories. 

I honestly looked at it differently 

bills struggle with a tough first ten weeks and switch to rookie qb following the bye gives the rookie and team 2 weeks to prep the future 

Rookie would also have more home games and play against easier opponents 

1 minute ago, ricojes said:

yes, the last year of the 4 SB run.  This was the year where attendance declined from the previous 5 or 6 or so seasons. And everyone points the Houston game and the Bills non playoff sellout to prove their small market theories. 

So fans stopped selling out because they were too depressed after 3 Super Bowls? 

10 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I don't know why that game was blacked out.  I was there and I've heard stories from at least 100,000 other people that say they were too  (actual attendance 75,141 which would be a sell-out at all but 6 NFL stadiums today I think).

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

So fans stopped selling out because they were too depressed after 3 Super Bowls? 

Seemed like it.  It was a weird year even a weird atmosphere to start the game, the tailgate included, kind of disappointing it was only a wild card birth.  Just different from the other playoff games in previous years, not as much excitement.  And I am just referring to playoffs, as the Bills attendance has always been lower in December, no matter what the record.

7 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I don't know why that game was blacked out.  I was there and I've heard stories from at least 100,000 other people that say they were too  (actual attendance 75,141 which would be a sell-out at all but 6 NFL stadiums today I think).

I don't remember it being 75k, I thought it was much lower.  But maybe I am just thinking of the second half when everyone from the upper deck moved to the seats that were vacated in the lower bowl at half time. 

I sit in row 1 and tend to look around the stadium prior to every game.  There's nothing like the opener looking around a jam packed house.  The Houston game had a lot of walk up ticket sales IIRC, but I don't think it was 75k, but could be wrong...

5 minutes ago, ricojes said:

I sit in row 1 and tend to look around the stadium prior to every game.  There's nothing like the opener looking around a jam packed house.  The Houston game had a lot of walk up ticket sales IIRC, but I don't think it was 75k, but could be wrong...

I cheated and looked it up.

42 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I love how fans always cry about getting a dome but those late December games are always seats empty. People say it's about the team, wrong. They had more seats in the 90's, but also many more blackouts. Buffalo Bills games are the greatest deal in the NFL and we have trouble filling the stadium. Something has to change. 

I think the fanbase is aging and they don't want to sit outside when it's cold and the games are on TV.

I agree with the conspiracy theory.  Russ has been great at selling tickets with an average at best team but the guaranteed sellouts always happen at the beginning of the years when people have money and the team is still alive for the playoffs.  The games have always tough to sell in Buffalo around the Holidays even for the great 90s teams.  The Houston miracle game was not a sellout.  The league knows this and the schedule puts a lot of pressure on the organization to win to sell games with no option to tank and increase draft stock.  To me it shows disrespect to the Pegulas who did a lot for the league when they purchased the franchise.  

49 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It's happened in the 90's, many empty seats. Bills are the cheapest deal in the NFL and we struggle to fill our stadium. We were 24th last year and made the playoffs for the 1st time in 17 years. Not even the hype of the playoffs helped. 

That's just not true. 1990-1999 had more blackouts than 2000-2009.

You're not wrong in terms of the point you are making, but I would like to see the data source where you draw this conclusion. I'd like to see it post 2009 as well if you know where that data is too. 

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

Roger Goodell and some owners like Mara from the Giants have been vocal about Buffalo getting a new stadium.

What better way to try to speed up the process then to give Buffalo fans more games late in the year: Weather is worse, and fans might get cranky and speaking louder about the hopes of a new domed stadium.

I would not put anything past greedy Goodell and the owners on this one.

Looks like some are making fun of you. But I had that thought same thought immediately. The usual practice has been more to give the Bills more home games early because of the weather.