Shaquem Griffin - Linebacker UCF

UCF had an amazing season last year and college football had a chance to watch this kid because of it. You can't help but literally focus on him for every defensive snap. So here is what my lowest level scouting saw.

1. Tremendous effort

2. Exceptional speed

3. Surprisingly stong tackling. I think he developed a more disciplined wrap up style of tackling because of his hand. He doesn't have the opportunity for the bad habit of grabbing jerseys.

4. He can't shed blocks, major concern for me. Perhaps SS is a better spot like a bunch of posters have already said.

5. Pass defense is not an issue with the speed and he has shown consistent ability to knock down the football.

The shedding of the blocks is a huge ? at LB in my opinion though.

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I like Shaquem, but drafting him just cause he's a feel good story would be ridiculous. 

With that being said, If the powers that be think he can help the team then definitely draft him. 

The problem with him is that he doesn't really fit anywhere specific and will likely be a special teamer until he can either put on weight, or distinguish himself in some way or another. 

I think Mcd has a position for him they'll put him in the Shaq Thompson role which is a hybrid WLB/SS .

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Logic said:

To anyone asking "is he a good football player?" or "is this anything more than a feel-good story?"...

The answers are "yes" and "yes". 

He is fast. Like really, really fast. A 4.38 forty is bananas for a linebacker. He also had quality production at USF, and was unanimously cited as an excellent locker room guy, a guy who gets his teammates fired up and inspired to work hard.

I'm not gonna go overboard and say they should draft him in the first few rounds, but if he's there in round 5, I'd take him 100%.

I agree but i also think alot of teams feel this way about taking him in the 5th . If we want him we got to get him in the 4th or maybe even at #96 in the 3rd. 

I want this kid he's gonna be a beast . Shaq plays like a man possesed . He has a non stop motor.  He even know how to use his nub to create fumbles.  I love this kid. He will fit perfectly with the band of misfits that Mcd wants on this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree but i also think alot of teams feel this way about taking him in the 5th . If we want him we got to get him in the 4th or maybe even at #96 in the 3rd. 

I want this kid he's gonna be a beast . Shaq plays like a man possesed . He has a non stop motor.  He even know how to use his nub to create fumbles.  I love this kid. He will fit perfectly with the band of misfits that Mcd wants on this team. 

He'll be taken in the 3rd. 

I watched 2 UCF games this year, the one vs USF and the one vs Auburn.  He was all over the place, making plays all over the field in both games.  Kept saying to myself...man, there's that guy with one hand again making another play.  He was flying all over the place.  He's going to go in round 3 or 4 I think.  I would love to have him.  Only down side is his size.  He's quite small for an NFL LB (his twin is a NFL CB in case you were unaware) so I'm not sure how that will translate in pass rush and run stopping ability.  He has a certain "IT" factor though, that's for sure. 

I like this guy a lot.  Hard hitter, fast, productive at D, productive against top level competition.  Worst case is we move him to safety and have depth there while he terrorizes ppl on special teams.  I'd take him in the 3rd, esp. if we miss out on a LB early due to trading up or otherwise.  

Edited by RyanC883