College: Miller - LG, Lawson - RDE

Miller was drafted into the NFL because of his LG play in college.  He comes to the Bills and they throw him at RG.   Hopefully this year he can go back to his natural position and thrive.

Lawson played RDE in college.  The best plays he has made in the NFL have been from the RDE spot.  Why do the Bills continue to put him on the LDE spot.  During the combine they were talking to former DE's and they were saying how it is definitely easier on certain sides for players. 

These are little things that could make big outcomes.  I just don't understand the whole attention to detail nonsense, and then little things like this are missed.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Do you really think it’s an attention to detail type of situation?  Or since these coaches spend more time and have evaluated these players more, this is where they believe is their best spot.

Lawson doesn’t have the first step or quickness to go up against NFL left tackles.  

Incognito has been our starting LG which is why Miller was on the right side.

because they're gonna play where they're told to play and that's just the way it is...naa ..I don't know..I assume they're playing were they are the most needed, but.. :unsure: ..anyways, miller actually has a chance to go LG with Incog retiring ( did he really retire or is he coming back?? :blink: ) and the line going back to a power system that he was good in...could see a line of: Mills/Newhouse - Ducasse/Miller - Groy/Bodine - Miller/Groy - Dawkins...but I'm really hoping they grab at least 1 O-line guy in the draft

Miller was technically a left guard, but Louisville flipped their guards a lot, so he has significant experience at both. His problem essentially boils down to the fact that he isn't very good at football. 

Shaq will be fine. I want to see him fully healthy and working his butt off. 

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Miller was technically a left guard, but Louisville flipped their guards a lot, so he has significant experience at both. His problem essentially boils down to the fact that he isn't very good at football. 

That is not true about miller at all. I would say 90% of his snaps at Louisville were at LG. 

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

That is not true about miller at all. I would say 90% of his snaps at Louisville were at LG. 

I did a full breakdown of Miller leading up to the 2015 draft; Louisville flipped their guards from side to side throughout games.

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I came here to say exactly this 

Also IMO His biggest problem coming into the league is that he was close to maxed out, and would need to go from country strong to football strong. He did that in his first offseason, but again he's at a point where he's may have reached the maximum of what technique and strength can do for him 

They drafted Lawson after dumping Mario, so he naturally went to LDE while Jerry stayed at RDE.  Now that Murphy will probably be playing LDE, they can try Lawson at RDE again. 

As for Miller, if RI is truly retired, I agree they should try him there.

19 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Rotoworld disagrees.How often do you watch Cardinal games?

Well, back in 2015 I watched every snap of Miller 3x when I did my guard thread (which, if the search function worked on the archived version of the board I'd link to), so I have a pretty intimate understanding of his college career.

EDIT: found it! Halfway down the page is my Miller profile...

I haven't read roto, but perhaps they said the same as NFL.com--that he only started at LG, which is true, but the Cardinals flip flop their line during games; it was bloody maddening trying to scout him ? 

Edited by thebandit27

9 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Miller was drafted into the NFL because of his LG play in college.  He comes to the Bills and they throw him at RG.   Hopefully this year he can go back to his natural position and thrive.

Lawson played RDE in college.  The best plays he has made in the NFL have been from the RDE spot.  Why do the Bills continue to put him on the LDE spot.  During the combine they were talking to former DE's and they were saying how it is definitely easier on certain sides for players. 

These are little things that could make big outcomes.  I just don't understand the whole attention to detail nonsense, and then little things like this are missed.

There is certainly a chance Miller gets a shot at left guard if Incognito stays retired, but Jerry Hughes has much more explosion off the snap, a trait that is highly desired for a RDE.  My guess is that Trent Murphy will be favored to start at LDE this year and Lawson will be a rotational guy.  He may get a shot at RDE in that role.

Lawson is going into a true make or break year. 2018 will decide whether he remains a Buffalo Bill for the long haul or whether he's looking for work in 2019. I'm rooting for the former (because a boost at EDGE would be a huge help) but banking on the latter. 

Meanwhile, the dude in my avatar pic is about to light it up and become an instant fan favorite.

Edited by Logic