The McBeane Character Requirements...

Ah, I could've came up with a better title but... brain fart, I suppose... anyways...

At this point, we all know how much emphasis McBeane places on character when considering which players to bring into their locker room. If the 2017 draft is any indication, McBeane want prospects with experience, leadership skills, clean off the field and put the team before their personal achievements. 

If I had the chance to ask McDermott or Beane a question, I would ask them what their threshold is for character concerns. How many character traits or personality flaws or off-field incidents/concerns does it take for them to look at a prospect and go, "Can't have him here, doesn't fit what we're building." Obviously, not every player is going to be a boy scout. I just wonder this because how do they weigh a players talent vs. his character, ya know what I mean? Does the prospect need to be 100% squeaky clean and have played at least X number of games, graduated college (or are close to graduating) and be a "fall in line" type of guy?

Again, I'm curious because I'd hate to see them have a chance at a player (and this is just in general, doesn't pertain to the 2018 prospects specifically) who is extremely talented, projects to be an All-Pro, but had an off-field incident or has been outspoken with the media or has whatever type of character red flag and see them pass on said player in lieu of a less talented but higher character player. 

If McDermott is constructing this locker room and brewing the chemistry he says he's aiming for, then I would think that they'd be comfortable taking a talented player with a few character issues. They would have to trust that the culture inside the locker room and the team leaders and coaches would be able to kind of take this player under their wing and keep him in line, so to speak. 

They can't all be 4-year starters with degrees and 40+ games started while being a model citizen/community contributor, etc. etc. 

What do you guys think? How heavily do you think character weighs in on their player evaluations? How much would character concerns affect your decisions if you were the GM?

Hey... look at that... not a thread about a QB. Hope everyone is having a good day.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the locker room was a mess under Rex and they aren't at the point where they are so concerned with results they'll roll the dice on risky players.  I believe the risk profile will open up if 1) they are sure they've got the clubhouse chemistry locked in and see extra talent that will push over the edge or 2) the losses start to mount and they increase their risk profile to add talent to the team.

Same as Levy's. Dont need to be a choir boy, thats not what people mean when they say "football character". But you have to live the game. Make sure football comes first over all the distractions.

Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Bruce, Biscuit, Smerlas... They were hardly choir boys. Some could even say they were real scumbags in their day. But they loved the game and gave it all their heart.

11 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Ah, I could've came up with a better title but... brain fart, I suppose... anyways...

At this point, we all know how much emphasis McBeane places on character when considering which players to bring into their locker room. If the 2017 draft is any indication, McBeane want prospects with experience, leadership skills, clean off the field and put the team before their personal achievements. 

If I had the chance to ask McDermott or Beane a question, I would ask them what their threshold is for character concerns. How many character traits or personality flaws or off-field incidents/concerns does it take for them to look at a prospect and go, "Can't have him here, doesn't fit what we're building." Obviously, not every player is going to be a boy scout. I just wonder this because how do they weigh a players talent vs. his character, ya know what I mean? Does the prospect need to be 100% squeaky clean and have played at least X number of games, graduated college (or are close to graduating) and be a "fall in line" type of guy?

Again, I'm curious because I'd hate to see them have a chance at a player (and this is just in general, doesn't pertain to the 2018 prospects specifically) who is extremely talented, projects to be an All-Pro, but had an off-field incident or has been outspoken with the media or has whatever type of character red flag and see them pass on said player in lieu of a less talented but higher character player. 

If McDermott is constructing this locker room and brewing the chemistry he says he's aiming for, then I would think that they'd be comfortable taking a talented player with a few character issues. They would have to trust that the culture inside the locker room and the team leaders and coaches would be able to kind of take this player under their wing and keep him in line, so to speak. 

They can't all be 4-year starters with degrees and 40+ games started while being a model citizen/community contributor, etc. etc. 

What do you guys think? How heavily do you think character weighs in on their player evaluations? How much would character concerns affect your decisions if you were the GM?

Hey... look at that... not a thread about a QB. Hope everyone is having a good day.

If all of this is true which I think it is. The Bills will never draft Josh Rosen,  he is the cancer of this QB class. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rosen does not fit into the Bills plans or process. He is not a process player or a team player. He’s about Rosen and Rosen only. What idiot says he will win more SuperBowls then brady before he even takes a snap in the NFL. Where is Troy Vincent when you need him. Rosen is all ready running his mouth and has not stepped on a NFL field yet. God I hate this guy and everything about him. Rudolph will have a much better career then this guy. I would of thought this stuff would be coming from Baker Mayfield. But no this idiot has to just keep running his mouth.Cant wait to see this guy get taken down a few notches. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Rosen does not fit into the Bills plans or process. He is not a process player or a team player. He’s about Rosen and Rosen only. What idiot says he will win more SuperBowls then brady before he even takes a snap in the NFL. Where is Troy Vincent when you need him. Rosen is all ready running his mouth and has not stepped on a NFL field yet. God I hate this guy and everything about him. Rudolph will have a much better career then this guy. 

Yes we all know you voted for Trump and disagree with his views, you have made it apparent in so many threads already...It's ok and advisable to turn FoxNews off

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Rosen does not fit into the Bills plans or process. He is not a process player or a team player. He’s about Rosen and Rosen only. What idiot says he will win more SuperBowls then brady before he even takes a snap in the NFL. Where is Troy Vincent when you need him. Rosen is all ready running his mouth and has not stepped on a NFL field yet. God I hate this guy and everything about him. Rudolph will have a much better career then this guy. I would of thought this stuff would be coming from Baker Mayfield. But no this idiot has to just keep running his mouth.Cant wait to see this guy get taken down a few notches. 

Yessss... Goooood... Let the jealousy and hate run through you...

No one is taking you seriously anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

If there is a “me” first quarterback in this draft its Mayfield. His list, crotch grab, throat slash against Georgia. Those are all “look at me” moves that put his teammates in a tough spot. If anything, that is what doesn't fit process. 

The Rosen narrative is just lazy at this point and based on nothing but hearsay and people making bias opinions. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Be like Elsa and let it go man

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Yes we all know you voted for Trump and disagree with his views, you have made it apparent in so many threads already...It's ok and advisable to turn FoxNews off

Again I have never brought politics into talking about Rosen. Not one post about that at all when talking about Rosen. I talk about the crap Rosen spews out of his mouth and on his social media. If you think he’s a Process Bills type of QB. I have some beach front property I want to sell you in Nevada. Your living in a dream world if you think the Bills will draft that Jack azz. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Again I have never brought politics into talking about Rosen. Not one post about that at all when talking about Rosen. I talk about the crap Rosen spews out of his mouth and on his social media. If you think he’s a Process Bills type of QB. I have done beach front land I want to sell you in Nevada. Your living in a dream world if you think the Bills will draft that Jack azz. 

I just got done reading a post of yours in the Rosen thread and bringing politics into it is exactly what you did. Or is criticizing Kaepernick's kneeling during the anthem not a political offering?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

What idiot says he will win more SuperBowls then brady before he even takes a snap in the NFL. 

He actually never said he will win more Super Bowls than Brady.  He said it would be cool to be the winningist QB in NFL history, he wants to win the most games and the most championships.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Be like Elsa and let it go man

Oh snap! You just Disney Princessed him!

1 minute ago, COBillsBacker said:

He actually never said he will win more Super Bowls than Brady.  He said it would be cool to be the winningist QB in NFL history, he wants to win the most games and the most championships.

Facts dont matter when youre hating on someone. Plus, why would we draft someone who wants to win? That isnt a good fit for a city like Buffalo. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 4