Best Bills' Memory?

My best Bills memories are from the days at the Rock Pile.

My buddy & I parked our car on Lemon St. and paid neighborhood kids  25 cents to watch the car.  We stopped at a local store & bought 2 six packs of beer, entered the stadium and took our seats in row 22. 

At half time we left our seats and walked across the field and met Ralph Wilson at the tunnel entrance to the locker rooms.  Ralph had no idea who we were other than two passionate Bills fans.  The three of us discussed the 1st half and what we expected in the 2nd half.  We then left Ralph and walked back across the field to our seats and had another beer.  This was our every home game ritual.

I am now a 55 year season ticket holder who has never tailgated, bought a single thing at a stadium concession stand and have never been in a stadium rest room.  I am a pure football fan whose only cheer is a clenched fist and a mumbled YES.  I LOVE FOOTBALL PERIOD.

Dick Drew

On 4/11/2018 at 11:38 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

When I was 12, I attended my first Bills home game.  It was 1995. 

The Bills beat the Chiefs 44-10 I think.

My dad and I were waiting on the players to walk out to get autographs.  Jim Kelly walks out and the a crowd just consumes him.  I wiggle my way through and give him my card.

As he's walking and signing the cards...I end up behind him.  He signs mine and being that he's 6''3...I couldn't reach up to his hand because I'm getting swallowed by the mob of other fans.  Someone else takes the card.  I'm heartbroken.

I follow Jim all the way to his RV's.  Once Jim walks in, everyone left except me.  I had teary eyes and a guy walks up to me and asked what happened.  I told him and he said "well I'm Jim's brother....let's take care of this".  He puts his hand on my back and walks me into Jim's RV.  When I walk in, the first two people I see are Jim's parents.  I was frozen and they just smiled at me.

Jim's brother walks to the back of the RV where Jim is sitting.  Jim's brother then walks up to me and grabs my hat off my head, gives it to Jim and he signs it.  I didn't see Jim in the RV but could hear his voice.  His brother walks back to me, puts the hat on my head and said "hope this makes your day" and then walks me out.  I was the happiest 12 year old in the entire world at that time.

Thats an awesome story bud!

Jimbos brother did the right thing that day and gave you a memory for life!

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I think his name was Kevin but it was so long ago that I can't really remember.

He was grilling and drinking a beer when he first saw me.  

Hahaha that sucks that someone would take your autograph card ...

you obviously were a resilient kid to follow Jim all the way to his RV lmao wouldn’t take no for an answer haha

i woulda balled up and cried on the spot lmao

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Hahaha that sucks that someone would take your autograph card ...

you obviously were a resilient kid to follow Jim all the way to his RV lmao wouldn’t take no for an answer haha

i woulda balled up and cried on the spot lmao

I also did it with Andre Reed.  When the Super Bowl was in Atlanta and the Bills played the Cowboys, my dad took me out of school for 2 days to hangout in the lobby of the Hotel the Bills were staying at.  

I got probably 25 autographs including OJ Simpson, Ken Norton and Ralph Wilson.  Ken Norton was apparently having family issues with his son who was a linebacker in the Cowboys.  He was staying at the Bills hotel because of it.  I didn't know who he was because he was before my time but my dad knew he he was.  I walked up to him with a banner that said "Lasso them Cowboys".  He said "You don't know who I am do you?"...with a smile.  He signed it anyway.

Anywho, Andre Reed came down to the lobby.  A flood of people went right towards him.  He said he didn't have time to sign autographs and sat down to get his shoes signed.  The entire group left but I stood my ground and gave him puppy eyes.  He then responded to me and said "all right hurry...I don't want the others to see."  I jetted over there, he signed my card and hat.  I was the only one that got his autograph.

The nicest Bills I met was Metzellars and Don Beebe.  Beebe and my dad had about a 15 minute conversation.  Metzellars was reading a book and having a coffee in the lobby.

The biggest jerk was Nate Odomes.  He promised me 3 times he would sign my card but never did.  I was a relentless kid back then.  Every time I saw him, I would say "Mr Odomes, can you sign my card now?"  He would make an excuse each time that he couldn't right now but he will later.

Matt Millen was also a jerk.  He was there to interview the Bills players and I saw him walking across the lobby.  I ran up to him for an autograph.  He literally gave me a pissed off look like and then rolled his eyes.  He still signed but wasn't happy about it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I also did it with Andre Reed.  When the Super Bowl was in Atlanta and the Bills played the Cowboys, my dad took me out of school for 2 days to hangout in the lobby of the Hotel the Bills were staying at.  

I got probably 25 autographs including OJ Simpson, Ken Norton and Ralph Wilson.  Ken Norton was apparently having family issues with his son who was a linebacker in the Cowboys.  He was staying at the Bills hotel because of it.  I didn't know who he was because he was before my time but my dad knew he he was.  I walked up to him with a banner that said "Lasso them Cowboys".  He said "You don't know who I am do you?"...with a smile.  He signed it anyway.

Anywho, Andre Reed came down to the lobby.  A flood of people went right towards him.  He said he didn't have time to sign autographs and sat down to get his shoes signed.  The entire group left but I stood my ground and gave him puppy eyes.  He then responded to me and said "all right hurry...I don't want the others to see."  I jetted over there, he signed my card and hat.  I was the only one that got his autograph.

The nicest Bills I met was Metzellars and Don Beebe.  Beebe and my dad had about a 15 minute conversation.  Metzellars was reading a book and having a coffee in the lobby.

The biggest jerk was Nate Odomes.  He promised me 3 times he would sign my card but never did.  I was a relentless kid back then.  Every time I saw him, I would say "Mr Odomes, can you sign my card now?"  He would make an excuse each time that he couldn't right now but he will later.

Matt Millen was also a jerk.  He was there to interview the Bills players and I saw him walking across the lobby.  I ran up to him for an autograph.  He literally gave me a pissed off look like and then rolled his eyes.  He still signed but wasn't happy about it.

Awesome stories man

now you gotta do the same for your kids ?

Honestly...hard to top the bengals game this year and the locker room celebration.  I know it’s recent, but I think it will stand the test of time. 

Other than that....carpenter hitting himself in the face with his helmet is high on the list.  

Other favorites:

- lawyer Milloy trade and the subsequnt New England blowout. 

- Kevin Everett walking onto the field 

- the “toy” thrown at Chris hogan 

- pegulas buying the bills and keeping them here. 

On 4/11/2018 at 11:38 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

When I was 12, I attended my first Bills home game.  It was 1995. 

The Bills beat the Chiefs 44-10 I think.

My dad and I were waiting on the players to walk out to get autographs.  Jim Kelly walks out and the a crowd just consumes him.  I wiggle my way through and give him my card.

As he's walking and signing the cards...I end up behind him.  He signs mine and being that he's 6''3...I couldn't reach up to his hand because I'm getting swallowed by the mob of other fans.  Someone else takes the card.  I'm heartbroken.

I follow Jim all the way to his RV's.  Once Jim walks in, everyone left except me.  I had teary eyes and a guy walks up to me and asked what happened.  I told him and he said "well I'm Jim's brother....let's take care of this".  He puts his hand on my back and walks me into Jim's RV.  When I walk in, the first two people I see are Jim's parents.  I was frozen and they just smiled at me.

Jim's brother walks to the back of the RV where Jim is sitting.  Jim's brother then walks up to me and grabs my hat off my head, gives it to Jim and he signs it.  I didn't see Jim in the RV but could hear his voice.  His brother walks back to me, puts the hat on my head and said "hope this makes your day" and then walks me out.  I was the happiest 12 year old in the entire world at that time.

I have a similar Kelly brother story.

Was going to a game down in Houston (the 2006 game that started with 2 Lee Evans 83 yard TDs).  A poster here on the board said he lived in Houston and said to stop by his tailgate.  So we went to where he said he'd be and as we approach we see all these Jim Kelly pro bowl jerseys.  Turns out the poster was one of Jim's older brothers (Ed), and we were joining the Kelly Brothers tailgate.  3 Kellys with families and friends.  What a great time it was - they gave us all the food and drink we could handle (which was A LOT) and we swapped Bills stories for hours.  Went back after the game and partied til security kicked us out of the lot 2 hours after the end of the game.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

5 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I have a similar Kelly brother story.

Was going to a game down in Houston (the 2006 game that started with 2 Lee Evans 83 yard TDs).  A poster here on the board said he lived in Houston and said to stop by his tailgate.  So we went to where he said he'd be and as we approach we see all these Jim Kelly pro bowl jerseys.  Turns out the poster was one of Jim's older brothers (Ed), and we were joining the Kelly Brothers tailgate.  3 Kellys with families and friends.  What a great time it was - they gave us all the food and drink we could handle (which was A LOT) and we swapped Bills stories for hours.  Went back after the game and partied til security kicked us out of the lot 2 hours after the end of the game.

They just seem like such a good family and awesome to be around.

Watching that Houston-Buffalo game in 1993. I had sat there watching us get slaughtered until the 3rd Quarter thinking to myself how I wouldn't see any more games until next season. Then IT happened, the comeback. Even my step dad, who is a Chiefs fan, was jumping up from the couch and high-fiving me once the Bills got within 35-24. When Christie hit that FG in OT to cap it off I just knew that was going to be our year finally. Yeah, not so much. 

51-3 Bills whoop ass over Raiders to go to our first Superbowl!  I went with a beautiful exgirlfriend and we had an incredible week!  I visited my old neighborhood and gave her the tour of Buffalo, Toronto, and the falls.  51-3 was particularly sweet, especially after 0-70's against the Dolphins, 2-14 season after season, and hank bullough