GMFB Debate: What Should the Bills Do in the NFL Draft?

Just now, JohnC said:

I doubt that if Beane suggested a free agent player was available and McDermott didn't want the player for whatever reason that the player would be signed. Without question this tandem collaborates more than how most organizations run their operations. However, especially in the pro ranks I doubt that if McDermott didn't want a particular player that Beane wouldn't accede to the HC's wishes. On the other hand when it comes to college prospects Beane has more knowledge in that area than the HC does so he would certainly have more sway in that area. 

McDermott certainly has say, but he's neither a Pro Personnel Guy nor a College Scout.   He certainly has sway and they are philosophically aligned. Someone still has to have final say and that's the GM. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott certainly has say, but he's neither a Pro Personnel Guy nor a College Scout.   He certainly has sway and they are philosophically aligned. Someone still has to have final say and that's the GM. 

McDermott has been in the league long enough to know the personnel in the league. I'm confident that if the bull dog wrestling coach tells Beane that he doesn't want a particular pro player that Beane is suggesting that Beane would not make the acquisition. 

Just now, JohnC said:

McDermott has been in the league long enough to know the personnel in the league. I'm confident that if the bull dog wrestling coach tells Beane that he doesn't want a particular pro player that Beane is suggesting that Beane would not make the acquisition. 

Personnel changes rapidly in the league and he doesn't have time to devote to such matters as the HC. That's why they hire people to do that job.  They work together of course and often agree I have no doubt, but I certainly don't see Beane as a rubber stamp yes man for the HC. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Personnel changes rapidly in the league and he doesn't have time to devote to such matters as the HC. That's why they hire people to do that job.  They work together of course and often agree I have no doubt, but I certainly don't see Beane as a rubber stamp yes man for the HC. 

I'm confident that if McDermott tells Beane he doesn't want a particular player that Beane won't sign the player. Beane is not going to act on a player move without consulting with the GM. And vice versa. But regardless what the organizational structure is if the HC doesn't want a player odds are that player won't be signed by the GM.

There is no need to continue with this circle discussion. It's pointless. 

20 hours ago, kdiggz said:

like ripping off a band-aid

or using a bullet to get rid of a tumor in head depending on results.

19 hours ago, Logic said:

I am in love with Kay Adams. That is all.

So she does field goals - does she do kickoffs?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000782433/Kay-Adams-attempts-to-kick-extra-points

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s really pretty scary what Beane will do. He’ll live or die on this selection of unproven talent. We’ve mortgaged so damn much to be in this position -including trading our 3 yr starter at QB, that I’d say we HAVE to mortgage even more to get one of these QB’s that have been touted for 2 years now. 

Bottom line: Nobody knows.. I wouldn’t want Beane’s job.

He may live or die by the selection.  BUT, I don't know if he will live or die by the exact pick or his correct evaluation of the process.  Meaning, McB may pick the wrong QB and succeed or not.  There are arguably 6 QBs and none are clear cut NFL QBs.  Weird year with lots of moving parts and opportunities for teams to set themselves up for 5 years of failure or success.

I am hoping three things..........

1.  Bills FO evaluate the QBs well vs history and this draft class

2. Bills FO is confident in their QB ratings and is CORRECT in their value process vs their draft capital

3. Bills have a little luck and have their QB ratings and draft evaluations fall into place.  More moving parts for part #3 and luck involved IF there is not a clear cut #1 and/or #2 (which I don't think there is).  Go Bills !!

** THIS IS THE WHOLE DRAFT ** !!

On 3/27/2018 at 9:44 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Just trade up to #2and get it over...ugh

Well, that is the weird thing about his year and having multiple QBs as potentially the best QB and them all having different pros and cons....

Many could be evaluated and seen as the best QB in this draft AND if you don't know who the best is (or at least best tier - or best two) you don't need to sell the farm to draft in the top 2 (IF you are in the top 2 and you don't fall into this category - trading out isn't bad either)

Thoughts....

- always... my first thought every draft is two fold (1. how do they rank vs other years and the history of the NFL)

- how do they rank in the current draft vs their QB piers

- to trade the farm for a QB that falls into he first tier - being they rank in the top QB "can't miss QB's of all time" is a different tier.

** The disclaimer, we don't know how the Bills rank these guys as they are all over the board!

With all that said........I don't think we can trade up to 2 or 3 and be done with it.  There are way too many moving parts.  The moving parts are potentially 6 Franchise QBs (probably way less, but, grading is every where and everything on the QBs), the supply and demand of teams needing QBs and then the QBs needed vs their grading process and values put on the QBs vs the actual draft slots and other players and positions in the draft

None of the QBs are clear cut #1 QBs (borderline fact)

I think out of the following QB question marks - upside, the way team develops them can both lead to their development.  Any of those variables can lead to  best QB of the draft (they are all in the conversation and team picture) - doesn't mean they will, but, they could be the best in the draft based on timing , team and development.

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

You pose an interesting question as to who has the final say on personnel matters. Beane is the GM that McDermott most likely selected. The HC certainly doesn't have the time and resources that the GM and his scouting staff have when evaluating players. And no doubt there is a lot of communication and collaboration going on between the GM and HC. However, it's my opinion that McDermott has the final say when it comes to selecting players in the draft and pro ranks. 

I would think a few things....

1.  Beane and McD have the same opinion of culture, a franchise and COC (Chain of Command)

2.  Beane and McD have the same opinion of what positions they value vs the salary cap and the rest of the NFL

--> IMO, which I think I am similar to McBeane being, pay - QB , LT DE, DT, MLB --> those are the positions you spend premier money on premier play making players at (each team may value positions differently, but, you can't change your plan on playmakers vs the cap or impact on it.  Our systems sets up NOT to have shut down CBs and crazy sick # 1 WRs.  Thusly, not over paying at those positions AND we can fill them with reasonable cap spendings.

3.  McBean have the same opinion on how to build a franchise which is two fold

--> Top down from the Owner with the correct COC to the FO with one direction

--> You need a QB to succeed and you need to get that QB

Will see what the McBeane boys do, but, they have put themselves in a good year to do something special.  I think the boys got this, but, there will be moving parts and strong trust in their evaluations till we are on the clock!!

Go Bills!

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s really pretty scary what Beane will do. He’ll live or die on this selection of unproven talent. We’ve mortgaged so damn much to be in this position -including trading our 3 yr starter at QB, that I’d say we HAVE to mortgage even more to get one of these QB’s that have been touted for 2 years now. 

Bottom line: Nobody knows.. I wouldn’t want Beane’s job.

I hope Pegula has given him some kind of assurance that he won't be judged solely by the success or failure of this QB selection.  Frees him up to take his best shot...and critically...not be tied to a sinking ship if it doesn't go well.

If the selection doesn't pan out, we can't have another Whaley type scenario where the GM lives in denial and does his best to pound a square QB peg into a round hole b/c his hide is on the line.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:52 PM, Thurmanator 12074 said:

I know one thing Mcbean will not draft Rosen. The guy just does not fit with the process and what we’re trying to do here. You can’t have QB’s questioning the QB coach or Offensive coordinator. 

Rosen just needs to go to a big city team that’s more his style. So i don’t think under any circumstance he will end up a Buffalo Bill. I’m ion Record that the Bills would draft Josh Allen if they had the number 1 pick in the NFL draft. 

That's not "knowing." It's "believing."

There has never been any problems reported by coaches or OCs with Rosen. What has been reported is that he has asked a ton of questions about why things are done. Not that he's been oppositional. Just that he keeps trying to fully understand. 

Nothing wrong with that in terms of process. 

I don't know what they'll do. I hope they trade up, hopefully to #2, and get their choice. That's my guess. It seems by far the most likely reason they've been gathering so many picks in a year touted for a year and a half as a good one for QBs.

It certainly is going to be interesting to see what they do at the QB spot.  Can the draft just get here!?

I find it entertaining to read all of the prognosticators on TBD predicting the QB with qualifiers like “The ONLY guy worth taking is...” or “They NEED to get one-off the top three...” - all the while no one can agree on any of the QBs!  I’ve seen posts that praising and ripping down all of the QBs available this year.

I’m definitely glad it’s the pros making the picks, vs a collective of TBD ?