Are We As Adults Creating A Society Of Kittys?

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The newest generation is the most secular generation ever. They think for themselves. 

Yeah, because having Neil deGrasse Douchebag tell you what to think is so much more think-for-yourselfie than the pope or whatever telling you what to think.

Just now, LeviF91 said:

Yeah, because having Neil deGrasse Douchebag tell you what to think is so much more think-for-yourselfie than the pope or whatever telling you what to think.

Ya, a scientist who has the backing of the scientific community. For sure. 

The father, son and holy spook don't know much about science 

The group most responsible for overly-sensitive, selfish behavior is Baby Boomers, by far. Here's a generation that was born into the greatest prosperity the world has ever known, and squandered it in the most epic way since the fall of Rome. 

They are determined to lurch to their graves in the lazy comfort they've been accustomed to, regardless of all evidence that their decisions have put future generations into massive debt. Baby Boomers sold us out to corporations, who are more powerful than ever. They fight against social welfare programs because they think it might impact their cozy nest. 

In these & many more ways, Baby Boomers have contributed the most to America's current state of fragility & hostility.

As a "Xennial" — between Gen X & Millennial — it is incredibly, incredibly encouraging to see the braveness of young people in the wake of Parkland. What they're doing takes courage, conviction, and faith. In contrast, Baby Boomers talk a big game about those qualities, but they have never actually demonstrated them.

It is disappointing how predictable society reacts to bravery when it happens in real time — anytime one speaks out against injustice, which means speaking against "the status quo," the messenger is attacked & torn down as much as possible. 

But this? This takes real guts, to stand your ground, knowing they'll be coming after you. If our society has any chance to fix our deep problems & repair the broken trust, it will be by following this example instead of tearing it down.

If you've ever given public speeches before, you know it ain't easy to do sh*t like that. That is not the kind of thing a group of advisors would ever recommend. That is real.

Growing up in North Tonawanda, I remember my gran'ma as a ballsy & fiery woman who suffered no fools. She'd be proud to see it in the incorruptible Emma Gonzalez going straight at Dana Loesch, the failed Hollywood actress who sold out to become an NRA mouthpiece.

Granny loved to say "speak the truth and shame the devil." It was an aphorism she lived by, and one worth emulating.

3 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

To answer the title of this thread, to a great extent yes we are. 

Speak for yourself. I have had nothing to do with it.

I am a hardass on my kids, and it is paying off.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

The group most responsible for overly-sensitive, selfish behavior is Baby Boomers, by far. Here's a generation that was born into the greatest prosperity the world has ever known, and squandered it in the most epic way since the fall of Rome. 

They are determined to lurch to their graves in the lazy comfort they've been accustomed to, regardless of all evidence that their decisions have put future generations into massive debt. Baby Boomers sold us out to corporations, who are more powerful than ever. They fight against social welfare programs because they think it might impact their cozy nest. 

In these & many more ways, Baby Boomers have contributed the most to America's current state of fragility & hostility.

What should "Baby Boomers" have done differently?

You haven't been through this enough to know, but if you live long enough, you'll  realize that every generation thinks their parents generation are morons and have screwed the world up.  The Baby Boomers sure thought that the Greatest Generation messed things up.  They thought the Roaring 20s generation screwed it up.  Each has a case.  As will the generation that follow you.

30 years from now Generation Z will be complaining that those selfish Xennials really screwed things up.

Edited by reddogblitz

I

9 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Speak for yourself. I have had nothing to do with it.

I am a hardass on my kids, and it is paying off.

I think you take Faith too literally. My bet is he was taking my thread title as it was meant to be taken and believed that in general we have gotten softer and more protective of our children. Kudos to you for being a parent that apparently is raising his kids to be an adult before they are 40.

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

What should "Baby Boomers" have done differently?

You haven't been though this enough to know, but if you live long enough, you'll know realize that every generation thinks their parents generation are morons and have screwed the world up.  The Baby Boomers sure thought that the Greatest Generation messed things up.  They thought the Roaring 20s generation screwed it up.  Each has a case.  As will the generation that follow you.

30 years from now Generation Z will be complaining that those selfish Xennials really screwed things up.

Sure, part of it is that. There's also — like the thread title — the generational tendency to assume the kids are morons.

Baby Boomers should have been more demanding for a responsible government. They should have been more financially responsible. They should have insisted that the inherited prosperity continue to be used for social programs that provided long-term benefits, like those in the New Deal, instead of focusing vainly on "getting theirs."  

Baby Boomers easily could have avoided being suckered into voting in a movie star president & a reality star president. They didn't. They are a generation who will be defined by laziness & passing the buck.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Sure, part of it is that. There's also — like the thread title — the generational tendency to assume the kids are morons.

Baby Boomers should have been more demanding for a responsible government. They should have been more financially responsible. They should have insisted that the inherited prosperity continue to be used for social programs that provided long-term benefits, like those in the New Deal, instead of focusing vainly on "getting theirs."  

Baby Boomers easily could have avoided being suckered into voting in a movie star president & a reality star president. They didn't. They are a generation who will be defined by laziness & passing the buck.

TLDR: Boomers should have been more communist. 

Great job, asshat. 

• Sad 1

Just now, LA Grant said:

We'll see.  When "Baby Boomers" were your age, they were very idealistic and socially and politically involved as well.  Just like kids today.  They got politicians to finally end the Viet Nam war and the improvement in Civil Rights based on their activism and sticking it to the man. They beat the military industrial complex to get us out of Viet Nam.  they're at least as powerful as the NRA and responsible for way more deaths.

Then comes marriage, kids, jobs, mortgages, 401Ks, taking the darlings to soccer/violin/lacrosse practice etc. Leaves a lot less time for making signs and organizing marches.

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We'll see.  When "Baby Boomers" were your age, they were very idealistic and socially and politically involved as well.  Just like kids today.  They got politicians to finally end the Viet Nam war and the improvement in Civil Rights based on their activism and sticking it to the man. They beat the military industrial complex to get us out of Viet Nam.  they're at least as powerful as the NRA and responsible for way more deaths.

Then comes marriage, kids, jobs, mortgages, 401Ks, taking the darlings to soccer/violin/lacrosse practice etc. Leaves a lot less time for making signs and organizing marches.

They didn't beat the MiC.